“Excellent location. Superb valet staff. Poor room service.”
Review of Rydges Auckland

Rydges Auckland
Ranked #15 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Asia, Peru
“Excellent location. Superb valet staff. Poor room service.”
Reviewed 7 March 2013

LOCATION: Excellent location. Easily accessible by car. A short walk to all restaurants and Auckland’s main streets. Excellent valet parking service, NZD 30 per day.

HOTEL: Very friendly, fast check-in. Bright, clean room. Good beds and pillows. Good shower. A bit noisy at night. We ordered food to our room one evening, but after a thirty-minute wait, we made another call to follow up our order. We were informed that our order had never been passed on to the kitchen, hence there would be another thirty-minute wait before our food could be delivered to the room. They offered the food free of charge, but we declined. We had lost our appetite that evening.

CONCLUSION: Courteous, efficient valet staff. Poor room service.

Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank HKasyouare
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I would firstly like to apologies for your room service experience, this is certainly unacceptable. There is no excuse for not passing on an order and I feel terrible that you did not get to enjoy a lovely meal during your evening, please be assured that this will be discussed with staff to ensure this remains an isolated incident.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your room, the beds and pillows are just wonderful and constantly raved about by our guests.
I hope the next time you come stay with us you get to enjoy our fantastic food from our STK restaurant, the food is wonderful and I'm sorry you missed out on your last visit.
With warm regards,
Quenton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 3 March 2013

We stayed two nights in a deluxe room. It was not great. The King Bed was not American standard. The shower was poor with only one towel hook. There were no towel bars or hooks in the sink area. The windows were very poor: one up about height level that would have a bit of a view and the other full length one facing into another wing. The location was quite central, but since Aukland is very hilly, it was some real exercise going to the waterfront or shopping.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David C
Hello,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I hope you had a wonderful time exploring the city, as you mentioned the hotel is very central and so close to some great shopping and the beautiful waterfront. I do apologies that your stay with us was not as great as your were expecting but I hope we can have the chance to change your view the next time we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Rydges Auckland.
Kindest regards,
Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 March 2013 via mobile

We come up for our 20 th wedding Ann so we went all out & paid big bucks we had 3 nights & got a huge room well 3 rooms lounge/ bed room huge bathroom 2 basins very nice 2 shower heads & very nice treats in bath room exfoliating scrub facial wash body lotion shower gel & soap from body shop I was in bathroom bliss (; modern as !!! huge wardrobe 2 big flat screen tv s stress less chair lounge suit desk wee treats on the bed every night we were really impressed only let down was the view but we got over that very quickly as the room made up for it & we were out & about . Only other thing that wouldnt go a miss would be more tea & coffee selection eg plunger would top it off . We had breakfast every morning nice good start to your day (;

• Stayed February 2013
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, 8 March 2013
Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland and congratulations on your 20th wedding anniversary! I am so pleased we could be a part of your celebrations and help make it just that little bit more special for your trip away. I hope your 3 night city retreat was just fabulous for you and I hope we can be part of more fun trips away.
Regards,
Ahipara, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Got a mystery wotif deal for 129. Was disappointed that it was rydges as per reviews. The staff were welcoming, my room was modern and well equipped. Yes it is a concrete jungle but it is inner city so... Comfy bed nice pillows nice shower if a little small. Had a nice wine in a relaxed bar atmosphere that night and a fab breakfast if somewhat on the expensive side, the restaurant is beautifully decorated. I chose valet parking but parking in every inner city hotel is extra and expensive and usually seperated. Il be back for sure and I hope it will live up to my last visit.

• Stayed March 2013
Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I am so pleased we were able to deliver to you more than what you were expecting on your recent stay with us and I hope we can more than live up to it on your next. Our STK Lounge Bar and Restaurant is a lovely place to relax at the end of an evening with a glass of wine; or a stunning dinner which I hope you will try then next time you stay.
Looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Best regards,
Ahipara, New Zealand
Reviewed 1 March 2013 via mobile

• Stayed March 2013
Hi there,
Looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Best regards,
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2013

This is a reasonably priced, comfortable modern hotel in the centre of Aukland.
The food in the restaurant was quite good, but many dishes were a little over priced.
Breakfast is buffet style and very good - but again expensive.

We enjoyed our stay here but the hotel let themselves down when we needed their help. We left a purse with cash and 2 credit cards in the room safe. when we phoned the hotel seemed uninterested. They "eventually" phoned back - once, after our 4 calls to them, to say they did not find anything but would continue looking - they never phoned back. Our fault for leaving the purse - but would have expected more urgency and help from this type of Hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cctlgw
Hello,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I am so pleased you enjoyed the food in our STK Restaurant, the enthusiastic staff love offering high quality meals for our guests so I'm glad you enjoyed them both for dinner and breakfast.
I do apologies for your less than helpful experience with your lost purse, I can assure you that all lost property is put on a very high priority to be found and returned to our guests as soon as possible. I hope you did eventually have your purse returned to you before heading back to the UK.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Auckland on your return trip to New Zealand.
With kindest regards,
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 February 2013

We flew in at 6am and the hotel had our room ready for us. The rooms are smaller but very modern, clean, and comfortable. Shopping and the water are very short walks away. This is a great place to stay if you have a stop-over in Auckland.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, 6 March 2013
Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I am so pleased you enjoyed your short stopover with us as we enjoyed looking after you. It’s always nice to be able to go straight to a room after a long flight so I am so pleased that when you arrived so early a room was ready and waiting for you.
I hope your next stay with us is not too far away.
Warm regards,