“A mixed bag”
Review of Rydges Auckland

Rydges Auckland
Ranked #12 of 67 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 24 March 2013

This hotel was a real mixed bag for me. On the plus side the location was fantastic, room and decor was nice and of a good size, the bed very comfortable. It had a large shower and bathroom and the room service dinner of a good quality and price.

On the down side the hotel appeared to be hosting some large groups at the time I was there and service lacked somewhat as a result. Check-in was a little clumsy, due to young inexperienced staff, information given on the benefit entitlements of the Priority Guest programme a little sketchy (was told about the free drink and given a voucher but nothing about internet and meal discounts). I had to ring for my bags when they didn't turn up, the aircon in the room wouldn't let me alter it, it was either freezing or had to be turned off.

On the cleanliness side, I found a clump of someone else's hair in the shower and hairs on the floor of the bathroom as well - pretty gross.

I was unfortunate enough to also be on the top floor with a full-on party going on above me the 1st night. It went on very loudly until 12pm on a weeknight when I had to be up early for meetings the next day. I complained twice and still nothing was done.

Breakfast on the last day there was gross - I ordered waffles expecting that they would be homemade in a hotel such as this - instead they were clearly supermarket made and were stale and tasted like cardboard. I could have got a far nicer meal in any cafe downtown for the same price or less.

Even though very handy to town I am not sure if I would stay again given the long list of issues!

Room Tip: Be sure to check if there are functions on and choose your room accordingly!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank beesblessing
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2013

Hello,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I am pleased you found our location fantastic and your room and bed very comfortable – we get so many great comments on our beds so I am glad you liked them too. Your housekeeping and breakfast experiences are very concerning to me and I am grateful you have bought them to my attention, I will most definitely be discussing with housekeeping to ensure our very high standards do not slip and with the restaurant about sourcing high quality products for our restaurant.
Your comments on our Rooftop function are also concerning, it is a great area on level 10 of the hotel that has fantastic views over towards the harbour. It holds all sorts of different functions ranging from birthdays and weddings to conferences and parties; every effort is made to limit the amount of noise that may come from a music function and no guest rooms are directly below it. I do apologise that during your visit you were disturbed by the music and you felt your complaints were not taken seriously.
I thank you again for your review and I sincerely hope we can welcome you back to Rydges Auckland again to give us the chance to totally change your perspective on our service.
With kindest regards,

There are newer reviews for Rydges Auckland

Reviewed 23 March 2013

Good location, price a bit steep. One wake up call which was not requested, but all in all really good. Stayed for 4 nights two for a conference and then the price jumped by $60. Quiet clean need coffee machine at that price.

• Stayed: March 2013

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, we love receiving feedback from our guests and we take all reviews and suggestions very seriously so I thank you for yours.
I hope you had a great conference and I hope we can welcome you back very soon.
Warm regards,

Reviewed 22 March 2013

I recently stayed at Rydges in Auckland for a Veterinary conference, the rooms were average to small with limited views, from mine all you saw was the washing put out on the balconies of the apartment block opposite.On one occasion Housekeeping failed to make up my room by 4.00pm, the excuse given they could not get into the room,which I find an amazing excuse for sloppy service.There is no parking and if they had not messed up with housekeeping I would have been charged for the use of a credit card to settle my account. Very average more like a 3 star Hotel than the 4 star claimed.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view over the city.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Hello,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I would like to apologise for your experience with housekeeping and I am so pleased you bought it to my attention, please be assured this will be discussed with the appropriate people to ensure it will not happen again.
I hope we can welcome you back to Rydges Auckland very soon.

Reviewed 22 March 2013

The hotel was in the ideal location, next to Sky Tower and only a few minutes walk to the main shopping area. The room was a good size, and was clean. The staff seemed friendly and helpful. Would defiantly stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, the hotel is in a fantastic position in the city and I am pleased you found this beneficial to easily get to some great shopping. The staff here are great and we all look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 22 March 2013

We had two nights here - room only and very much enjoyed it. Hotel is beautifully clean and the staff and just so so helpful. A perfect central location for exploring Auckland. Food at the hotel looked ok but we chose to eat out as we had a car hired and there were so many places to explore nearby. A brilliant view of the Sky Tower from our window

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and loved the view of the Sky Tower from your room, it’s entertaining watching people plummet to earth doing the SkyJump from the tower!
I hope we get to welcome you back again very soon.
Best regards,

Reviewed 22 March 2013

Rydges is in a terrific position in CBD of Auckland. It is a good 3/4 star hotel with not too many frills but suited out needs. We arrived around 5.00pm and our room wasn't ready which I find disappointing at this time of the day. The rooms were clean, modern and the staff were attentive.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I hope you were able to enjoy a relaxing drink in our STK Restaurant Bar and Lounge while your room was being allocated. As you mentioned the hotel is in a terrific position in the city and so close to the many attractions you would want to experience while visiting Auckland. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 19 March 2013

We stayed at the Rydges at the start and conclusion of a three week organised tour of New Zealand and the package included the table d'hôtel evening meals. We were very pleased with the central position of the hotel and the rooms allocated were comfortable and clean. We found the staff to be courteous and helpful although the restaurant serving team was not the most experienced we have experienced. The food was of good quality and well presented. We enjoyed our time at the Rydges and noted with pleasure the availability of free Wi FI for guests.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I hope you had a wonderful time exploring New Zealand for your 3 week tour and I am so pleased we could be an integral part of your journey.
I hope you had a safe trip back home and I look forward to being a part of your next adventure here in New Zealand.