“Brillant Hotel”
Review of Rydges Auckland

Rydges Auckland
Ranked #12 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Stayed in the Auckland Rydges after Wellington and have to say the rooms were of much better quality, get the impression the harbour view rooms recently refrrbished. Location spot on both close to the city centre and harbour. The staff as with Wellington could not be faulted if you are looking to stop in Auckland would recommenend Rydges

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2013

HI there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, we love hearing from our guests and I am so pleased you loved your stay with us! The staff here at the hotel really do pride themselves on their level of service and attention to detail so I will absolutely pass onto them your wonderful comments.
Thank you for recommending us to your friends and I hope we can welcome you back to Rydges Auckland very soon.
Warm regards,

Reviewed 3 April 2013

Although a little way back from the harbour the harbour view rooms do have a very good view. Other hotels are nearer but appear to have buildings in front of them and the Hilton gets huge liners blocking their views The hotel was clean, quiet and comfortable. The staff are helpful and friendly. The restaurant is good with good service. The hotel is ideally placed for the attractions at the harbour, and ferries, cruises etc - just a short walk away

Room Tip: Ask for harbour view if you want a nice view
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I am so pleased to read you had a wonderful stay with us in February, we at the hotel really pride ourselves on providing our guests with the absolute best service we can so I am pleased you found this too. The hotel is situated in the perfect place for all sorts in the city, short walk in one direction takes you to the harbour for great restaurants, boat trips and adventure rides, other way to great shopping on Queen St plus the Civic Theatre and just behind us is the Skytower and Casino, so much to choose from!
Thank you so much again for the top marks and I really hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you back to Rydges Auckland very soon.

Reviewed 1 April 2013

We stayed here for two nights at the beginning of a tour of New Zealand. We found the accommodation to be spacious and comfortable, staff friendly and food excellent. Centrally based for tourist attractions and an easy walk to the ferries for off-island visits. Main shopping area nearby. Our room faced the Sky Tower with the "odd" soul jumping off - on a string I might add! Short period of free WiFi in the room sufficient to stay in touch. We looked forward to our one night stay on the way home.

Room Tip: Definitely recommend and would stay again if ever in Auckland.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2013

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I hope you had a wonderful tour of New Zealand and were able to see both the North and South Islands, they are both beautifully unique in their own ways. I also enjoy watching those “odd” souls jumping off the Skytower, can’t say I would ever have the guts to do it myself though! Were you tempted??
I am so pleased you loved your stay with us and I really hope we do get to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 31 March 2013

Excellent location for 5 nights holiday in Auckland. Check in was fast and friendly and we were upgraded to a suite which was fantastic and the room was lovely, quiet, comfortable beds, spacious, and modern, with free wireless internet in the room. We looked across to the apartments next door which didn't bother us at all. I used the gym which was modern and clean with air conditioning, towels, showers, and toilets. Overall staff were professional and helpful and restaurant food was very good. Housekeeping was inconsistent in terms of what was cleaned and what products were replaced each day - received 5 shower caps one day for example! Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2013

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I hope you had a wonderful holiday in Auckland and were able to see and do as much as possible in your 5 nights here. I am so pleased we could make it even more pleasant for you in our wonderfully large suites, they are really quite lovely.
I am not sure why housekeeping was so inconsistent with replenishing your room but thank you for bringing this to my attention so I can get on it straight away.
Hoping we can welcome you back up for another week away in Auckland very soon.
Kindest regards,

Reviewed 30 March 2013

Booked Rydges based on tripadvisor reviews.
Right on - as usual.
Visiting NZ w/ adult daughter who is studying here. Easy check in. Staff welcoming. Did not have room preference in reservation which turned out to be minor issue because harbor view room was available on check -in. Harbor is at a distance but view from Rydges at night is awesome. If harbor view is what you are looking for, book Hilton, right at harbor, on water.
Hotel was clean, room & bath clean & spacious for 3 travelers. Had to call for extra towels & ice. Service was fast & courteous.
Easy walk to shopping, restaurants, ferry, & other tourist attractions.
Only complaint was restaurant in lobby-STK. Had 7:00AM tour. Opens for breakfast at 6:30. Two choices continental -$24.00pp & full-$31.00. Full included warm food choices. Coffee was cold, food items not worth the money. However food etc. is expensive in new Zealand

Room Tip: Harbor view, higher up.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

HI there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found the staff to be welcoming and your harbour view awesome at night; I especially like the sunset over the Harbour Bridge in the evening, just beautiful.
I hope the rest of your visit in Auckland and New Zealand was fantastic and your daughter is really enjoying her studies.
Looking forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Auckland again very soon.
With warm regards,

Reviewed 24 March 2013

Stayed here for one night on 23 March 2013. We ordered a double twin room. We had a nice view of the Sky Tower out our window. We were on level 12 so it was nice and faraway from the noise of the street. Had a great sleep the bed as it was comfortable. The bathroom was nice - a tad small but it served its purpose. I felt the details in the room were attended to properly. I understand why people wouldn't like this property as other rooms are right opposite an apartment complex and you can see right into them...not all that attractive to see.

We had the buffet breakfast. It was delicious. However it was kind of spoiled when a child vomitted on the ground. The staff were apologetic about this. I felt the staff were friendly and accommodating. Check-in process was quick, think this was because there were many people checking in so they were rushing just to get people checked in to their rooms.

It would have been nice to find out about the free drink on arrival as I had joined to be a priority member online before we stayed there. I felt that we weren't informed about this on check-in. I also didn't know I was entitled to a late check out or discounted internet useage.

We checked out at approx 10:20am and we hadn't eaten breakfast yet but because of the hotel price I got the buffet breakfast included and this charge couldn't be taken off so the staff member at the counter called the place where the breakfast was at and asked them to wait for us to get our food. I thought this was a nice gesture. The staff at the desk were nice to guests.

We did not have a car so we walked around the city. The hotel was in a great location for people who want to walk around and see some sights.

There was also A/C in the room which was good to have as it was quite hot and stuffy during the day. Also another feature I like was the iPod doc so I could charge my phone. The dimming of the lights helped when I tried to sleep and when my brother needed the lights on to see.

I would stay here again and recommend it to friends and family. Pros: food and location.

Room Tip: Try get a room higher up and on the side that faces the Sky Tower. Try and ask for a room that does...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2013

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I am so pleased you and your brother had a great stay with us and were able to explore Auckland easily by foot.
The view of the Sky Tower is pretty unique and great, especially at night when it is lit in all sorts of colours. The view from the back of the hotel is pretty magnificent too as it looks directly out to the harbour bridge which is just lovely at sunset.
I do apologise for the way your breakfast was interrupted, while unwell children are of course beyond our control I hope the clean up was fast and efficient.
I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you and your brother back to Rydges Auckland very soon.
Best regards,

Reviewed 24 March 2013

This hotel was a real mixed bag for me. On the plus side the location was fantastic, room and decor was nice and of a good size, the bed very comfortable. It had a large shower and bathroom and the room service dinner of a good quality and price.

On the down side the hotel appeared to be hosting some large groups at the time I was there and service lacked somewhat as a result. Check-in was a little clumsy, due to young inexperienced staff, information given on the benefit entitlements of the Priority Guest programme a little sketchy (was told about the free drink and given a voucher but nothing about internet and meal discounts). I had to ring for my bags when they didn't turn up, the aircon in the room wouldn't let me alter it, it was either freezing or had to be turned off.

On the cleanliness side, I found a clump of someone else's hair in the shower and hairs on the floor of the bathroom as well - pretty gross.

I was unfortunate enough to also be on the top floor with a full-on party going on above me the 1st night. It went on very loudly until 12pm on a weeknight when I had to be up early for meetings the next day. I complained twice and still nothing was done.

Breakfast on the last day there was gross - I ordered waffles expecting that they would be homemade in a hotel such as this - instead they were clearly supermarket made and were stale and tasted like cardboard. I could have got a far nicer meal in any cafe downtown for the same price or less.

Even though very handy to town I am not sure if I would stay again given the long list of issues!

Room Tip: Be sure to check if there are functions on and choose your room accordingly!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank beesblessing
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2013

Hello,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I am pleased you found our location fantastic and your room and bed very comfortable – we get so many great comments on our beds so I am glad you liked them too. Your housekeeping and breakfast experiences are very concerning to me and I am grateful you have bought them to my attention, I will most definitely be discussing with housekeeping to ensure our very high standards do not slip and with the restaurant about sourcing high quality products for our restaurant.
Your comments on our Rooftop function are also concerning, it is a great area on level 10 of the hotel that has fantastic views over towards the harbour. It holds all sorts of different functions ranging from birthdays and weddings to conferences and parties; every effort is made to limit the amount of noise that may come from a music function and no guest rooms are directly below it. I do apologise that during your visit you were disturbed by the music and you felt your complaints were not taken seriously.
I thank you again for your review and I sincerely hope we can welcome you back to Rydges Auckland again to give us the chance to totally change your perspective on our service.