“Modern and comfortable”

Ranked #15 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Modern and comfortable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2013 via mobile

Loved the comfortable kingsize bed. Nice clean modern rooms and trendy restaurant and bar. Had a very pleasant stay. Had a good view from the 11th floor. Helpfull friendly staff. Easy walk to Queen Street.

• Stayed May 2013
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, 18 May 2013
Hello again, It was so great to have you back for another wonderful stay with us! I am so pleased you loved the beds, they really super comfy and guarantee an awesome nights sleep. I am also so glad you enjoyed our trendy STK lounge bar and restaurant again, it has so much to offer and well worth a visit while in town, so happy you think so too.
Looking forward to having you come stay with us again, hopefully sooner than another 2 years away!
Best regards,
Quenton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

We stayed here over New Years and then again at the end of our holiday!
The service was great and we had views looking out over the water and the bridge!
Its great proximity to the casino makes it easy to walk there for dinner or a climb up the tower!

It is about a 15 minute walk to the Aquaduct so if you like being on the water i would suggest staying at the Hilton as it is waterfront

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, 16 May 2013
It's great to hear from you! I hope the rest of your holiday was just wonderful and you made it home safe.
Thanks so much for your review, I am so pleased you loved the view of the harbour from your room, it can be quite spectacular in the evenings. And yes the Skytower is just a block away and is a great way to view the city from above; the Viaduct is only a few minutes walk away too which is always a must to see when in Auckland.
I hope we can welcome back to Rydges Auckland very soon for another well deserved holiday.
Kind regards,
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

We spent a night in this place. The rooms are modern and very high quality. We did not have booking but were privided a room, with a smile. Friendly staff, good location. An average place, good value for money. Luckily our room was in front of the Skyline tower, the view was worth it. Recommended to all.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Hi there, thanks so much for your review. I am so glad we could set you up for the night in a lovely room with an awesome view of the Skytower, it’s been lit up recently with red lights and it just looks lovely at night time.
I hope we can have you stay with us again very soon.
Kindest regards,
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

We stayed for 4 nights at the Rydges, The hotel is centrally located close to queen street and sky tower , we stayed in a room with a beautiful view of the bridge harbourg.
The staff was professional, the french concierge Clement, who speaks fluent Italian was very helpful during my stay in advising me on different place to see and the best restaurants in the city
I really enjoyed my stay in this hotel and I recommend it

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi there, I am so pleased you really enjoyed your stay with us, we loved having you here! I am glad Clement was able to help you navigate your way around town, it’s always very helpful to have someone very knowledgeable of the city to guide you on your explorations.
I hope the next time we meet is not too far away.
Warm regards,
Gladstone, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2013

We arrived early afternoon to check-in. Staff were friendly & helpful. Our original allocated room was still being cleaned so we were allocated a different room & while they checked that everything was right we were given a couple of drink vouchers for the bar. Within 5 mins the room was ready & we went straight up. Our bags were already in the room & our jackets had been hung up for us. It's those sort of little things that leave a good impression. Hotel is in an excellent spot - a couple of blocks from the main street & just steps away from Sky City. Loads of eating places in the immediate area - from fast food to 'fancy' restaurants. We had valet parking & each time we needed the car it was ready for us in moments (parked either under the hotel or in the next door car park, so very close by). Rooms aren't large but it was fine for us (2 adults 2 kids 9 & 11) for the four nights we stayed (we had 4 suitcases & 4 overnight bags & there was plenty of room for them without them being under foot). Beds (2 doubles) were very comfortable - good sleep with air-con going & we heard no street noise. Bar size fridge, TV & kettle were all clean & worked well. Nice variety of teas & coffee/hot chocolate. Nice size shower with loads of hot water. Overall, rooms were very clean, location is excellent & staff were great!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Blueysmrs
Hey guys, I hope you had an awesome 4 nights in Auckland as a family, looks like you have been all over the North Island recently which just sounds like so much fun. Thanks for such a great review too, the staff here love to go the extra mile for our guests and I will be sure to let them know you appreciate that.
I hope the rest of your travels are wonderful and we would love to see you all again at Rydges Auckland very soon.
Kindest regards,
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

I was really looking forward to spending a couple of days at RYDGES Hotel Auckland.BUT on arrival I was asked to pay in full PLUS a BOND . I have travelled all over the world and have never been asked for a BOND. Not a great start . I LIVE in Auckland what would visitors think of this ???

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Trevor L
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Hi there, yes payment up front along with bond is standard practice for nearly every hotel when a guest chooses to pay with cash. Majority of guests choose to pay via credit card or through online bookings, upon check in an imprint of the card is taken for security reasons. If a credit card is not being used then payment upfront along with a bond (for incidentals like mini bar, room service etc) is requested and returned, less any incidentals, upon check out.
I hope this clears up your concern for having been asked upon check in and I sincerely hope you had a wonderful time in the city.
Looking forward to another visit soon.
Warm regards,
Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights. I must say, I love the location as it is very central and minutes away to SkyCity and Queen Street - where all they hype is in Auckland Central. The hotel was very affordable - we paid 175$ per night and thought it was a great bargain! Hotel amenities were very basic but the room was nice and cosy, and still a great experience.

I didn't quite like the shampoo and body wash they provide as it's not very good (some Flax Oil based stuff - yuck), and didn't think too highly of the use of shower curtains (most modern hotels use glass), but the room is always cleaned nicely and tidied up, so we didn't mind too much. Basically the bathroom wasn't that flash, but it's still OK. I didn't quite like the TV either as there were only about 5 channels to choose from, and the reception wasn't very good. The only hotel facility available was a gym on level 3, but it's not very spacious. The restaurant feels very separate to the hotel and I couldn't see that there were any room service available.

All in all, I thought it was a pleasant stay, but if you're looking for something fancy, head next door to the Crowne Plaza.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Hi, I hope you had a wonderful 4 days exploring Auckland. You are right, the hotel is in a fantastic location for getting to so many of the great attractions the city has to offer.
I'm glad you mentioned the bathroom, we are currently in the process of refurbishing them with half the hotel complete with the other half to be completed in the next few months. No more annoying shower curtains! The new look is so much more spacious and lovely.
We most certainly have room service available with an extensive menu in each room, I'm sorry you missed it. Hopefully the next time you stay you get to try it out, we have some wonderful meals on offer; or try our STK restaurant which has some fantastic steaks!
Hopefully your next visit isn't too far away.
With kind regards,