“Mixed reviews”

Ranked #14 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Centereach
“Mixed reviews”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Having just come from Sydney and staying the week at the Shangri-la, this seemed like a huge step down. I would say this hotel should be rated between 2 and 3 stars. The positives: the front desk staff were super great. They helped make my stay better! Also, the rooms and beds are cozy and comfy. Close to public transportation. The negatives: cleaning staff sometimes never cleaned my room. But as soon as this was discussed with the hotel it was corrected. Also the sheets had a weird smell. Hotel is a little bit too far from the Queen street. When returning from queen street I needed to climb up a huge hill. Also, the area the hotel is in is a bit seedy. It is right near the casino. On more than one occasion I saw quite a few homeless people kicking it in the area.

Just to add, Auckland is a strange place as a whole. Quality standards seem to be lower than other parts of the world in general and not a good value for your money. Please keep this mind if you plan on visiting or staying in the area. If you have a choice, choose to stay in Davenport or one of the islands. Which are much nicer. Cheers! :)

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Thank you so much for your review, it’s great to hear from all our guests whether their experiences were fantastic or left little to be desired. I am pleased you found the front desk staff to be super great and a big help during your stay with us. I do apologise for the miss in housekeeping that you experienced although I am glad to have it bought to my attention so I can address it directly with the housekeeping department. I am very sorry to read you did not enjoy Auckland as a whole too as I believe it is a beautiful city, it looks over the stunning Waitemata Harbour with so many beautiful islands scattered throughout, The hotel itself is situated right next to the Skytower and we are only a short stroll to the Viaduct and many other great attractions in the city.
I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Rydges and Auckland again very soon, summer is when the city really shines.
Quenton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 September 2013

2nd time back at the Rydges in Auckland,
Once again pleased with the Rydges... Its in centre Auckland with a short walk in to Queen Street.
The room was again clean and tidy.
The breakfast was amazing...
Great hotel in the centre of Auckland...

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Otagopete
Welcome back to the hotel, it was great to have you stay with us again and I am so pleased you thought our breakfast was amazing! I hope your next stay with us is not too far away.
sydney
Reviewed 24 September 2013

This hotel, although had great WiFi, wasn't in the best location. It was just beneath the sky tower, but surrounding that the area was very sleezy, and a good 15 minute walk from the marina area.
Staff were nice, but lacked any atmosphere.

Room Tip: Higher floor for a veiw, but pick one on the s outhern side
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
The free WiFi is a great bonus that Rydges Auckland offers and we have found has been greatly appreciated by all our guests. The location of the hotel is usually raved about by our guests for being so close to the Skytower and only 10mins walk to the Viaduct and ferry terminal, im sorry you did not find this during your stay with us. I am pleased you found the staff nice and I hope we have the chance to welcome you back to hopefully change your fist impressions initial impression of us.
Reviewed 23 September 2013

As someone travelling alone in a different country, I was relieved to discover that Rydges Auckland now offers unlimited free wifi to their guests. It absolutely saved me, making it easy to keep in contact with my family back home as well as checking maps and weather for the locations I was visiting during my stay. The only time I got lost at all was when I arrived, walking to the hotel from the bus stop!

The location is brilliant, just around the corner from the Sky Tower, and a few blocks from many public transport options. Auckland was very pleasant to walk around though, so I was more than happy to just wander the streets, using the hotel as my base station.

I'd like to make special mention of the housekeeping staff, who worked so quickly and efficiently from early in the morning. I always came back to a spotless room, no matter how short a time I'd left the hotel for. And they were always very friendly when I met them in the halls.

All in all, I'd like to say a huge thank you to the amazing staff at Rydges Auckland, who made my short stay there so incredibly pleasant and easy.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Tallulah G
Thank you so much for such a lovely review. I can absolutely understand how unnerving it would be to travel alone in a foreign country so I am so pleased that we were able to ease your mind with our free WIFI to keep you updated and connected with your family and the happenings around Auckland. It really is a bonus for our guests that not many other hotels in the country offer yet.
The Skytower is always a great landmark to help you get back to the hotel when wondering around the city.
I will be sure to pass on your wonderful comments to all the staff, they will be thrilled they made your stay with us so pleasant and easy.
Hoping to welcome you back to Rydges Auckland very soon,
Kindest regards,
Hastings, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Very dissapointed with our room service this trip- if you stood in the far corner of the room you could get a small view of the harbour bridge otherwise you looked out on to a blank wall
the room was booked for three -glasses, coffee mugs only set up for two people.

put our sign out for clean towels by 8am - came back at 5pm still sitting on the floor and drinking glasses in sink, informed reception came back at 9pm towels gone - no replacement towels, facewashers, handtowels, called reception they brought towels up for us.

the valet staff were brilliant - also the breakfast receptionist was very patient with her difficult customers job well done.don

Room Tip: room 609 - small view of harbour bridge otherwise you looked out on to a blank wall.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
I am very disappointed to read you had a less than satisfactory experience with our housekeeping while staying with us recently, this is by no means a Rydges Auckland standard and I am pleased you bought it to my attention so I can ensure there is not a repeat for you or any other of our guests. I am pleased your experience with the valet was brilliant and I will be sure to pass on your lovely comments.
I hope your next experience with us will be wonderful and I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Just right for a short stay. Beautifully appointed rooms, the twin rooms are a little small but the kings are lovely. Good amenities, breakfast nice, smoothies were great. Staff lovely on front desk and concierge was special! The gym was small, however nice new machines, mats and a fit ball, no free weights, enough to get a good workout. No pool or sauna but no time anyway.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your review, it’s so great to read you had a lovely stay with us and had a great breakfast in the morning. The gym is small but the equipment is top quality and as you say great for a good daily workout.
I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back to Rydges Auckland very soon.
Akaroa, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Have stayed there 3 times now. Always been very good welcome & service. Really helpful & obliging. Rooms are clean & serviced with a smile. View out to the harbour bridge. Location is great. Walking distance to sky tower, theatres, viaduct, vector Arena & shopping. Free wifi, now, as every hotel should have.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Welcome back again, we love that you have chosen to stay with us over and over and that you have experienced such a great welcome and service each and every time. The hotel is in a very handy location in town and so close to many of the attractions you would want to see. I hope your next stay with us isn’t too far away as we would love to welcome you back once again.