“Busy on Cruise Days”

Ranked #15 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
London, United Kingdom
“Busy on Cruise Days”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

We stayed here for two nights pre cruise and were satisfied with the room and checkin and location. The problem arose when checking out, what looked like half the entire hotel wanted to check out at the same time. This was made worse by the arrival of the disembarking cruise passengers wanting to check in ! There did not appear to be any extra staff to deal with the masses of people all with luggage. Not well enough organised.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PennyLane77
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Wow, I hope you had a wonderful time on your cruise. That’s something I would love to do with my wife sometime in the future. Thank you for your review, I apologise for the delay in your check out and I hope this did not hinder your arrival for your cruise.
Quenton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 December 2013

The check-in process was fast and easy. I was surprised that I wasn't offered the opportunity not to join their loyalty program though, as that seems to be standard when you don't already have that number on the booking.
I stayed in a Deluxe Harbour View Room, although the harbour view was minimal. Most of the view was of an apartment block that was on the opposite side of the road.
The linens are in desperate need of being replaced. The pillow covers are turning yellow, and the bed sheets, were in places, literally threadbare, and the bed sheets still had little black hairs on them. Not what I would have expected for this type of establishment.
If I can continue to be critical, for a deluxe room, the furnishing wasn't exactly great. There was mismatched furniture - most things were of a dark wood, but even then they didn't match, and then this odd, modern glass desk which didn't fit in at all. A single piece of artwork in the room, while other main walls remain bare. It doesn't affect the quality of the stay at all, but it goes to speak to the attention to detail (or lack thereof).
One of the main reasons for staying at this property was the great location in that it was quite central and within walking distance to most of my meetings. However, there was significant rain during my stay, which isn't totally out of the realms of possibility in Auckland, however there were no umbrellas in the hotel room, and none at reception - sorry sir, but we're all out. Seriously?? This was not just on one occasion, but on consecutive days. Simply amazing. I have serious reservations about staying there again, especially when there are other hotels for a comparable price.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We love hearing from our guests as your thoughts and suggestions often bring to light what we may be missing and what you think would make your stay with us more enjoyable. And you are right, it may be time to order in some new umbrellas, you only notice just how many go missing on a rainy day when the next one comes and there now aren’t enough to go round – I do apologise for that.
I hope on your next stay with us you find some lovely improvements and have a much more enjoyable stay.
chch nz
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Love staying here. Always convenient, staff are friendly, know what they are doing and are customer focused. Rooms are usually well appointed ( especially on higher floors) and clean. This time I had a smaller room on the 9th floor with a queen and a spare single bed. It was obvious the single had been added for the last customer and not taken out again. Which was a shame as it made moving around the room difficult. Breakfast is ok to good + but expensive if you haven't got an inclusive deal. Wait staff at breakfast are fabbo.

Room Tip: Get a room on the higher floors if you can and if there is an extra bed in the room that is obviouly...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank nzmikey
We love having you here! Sorry we missed the removing of the extra bed in your room, we would have popped up straight away to get it if you had found it too much of a nuisance. It’s great to hear you thought the restaurant staff were ‘fabbo’, I will definitely pass on your kind words to them, it will make their day.
Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit very soon.
Thirsk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I used this hotel three years ago, I wasn't too impressed at the time, but it is convenient for the city centre and especially the Intercity Coach station. The last visit had a fairly abysmal room with no view apart from an appartment block. On booking this time through 'lastminute.com' I requested a room with some sort of reasonable room, the booking was made two months prior to the visit, so there was no time based allocation problem. Got the same miserable block of appartments as my 'room with a view' once again.
Very basic accomodation for the price, fairly unhelpful and lethargic staff, when I wanted two envelopes (none of these supplied in bedroom, as in most reasonable hotels) it took an hour to find them.
It's handy for city centre but not to be recommended, when I found that I could get accommodation at a much better hotel below the Sky tower, for my outgoing visit in three weeks, for not much more money.

Room Tip: Avoid anything facing the appartment block!!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
I am so sorry to read you did not enjoy your recent stay with us at Rydges Auckland, what mainly concerns me though is your experience with the staff members you encountered. At no point should you feel that you are not being heard or helped by the staff in the hotel and it upsets me that you found this during your stay with us. I do thank you for bringing it to my attention so I can immediately address the issue with the front line staff.
As you mentioned the hotel is located in a fantastic position in the city and is so close to many of the transport, attractions and necessities in town.
I do hope you change your mind about staying with us again as we would love to welcome you back.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 5 December 2013

It's in a great location with pleasant common areas.

The customer service of some of the staff was disappointing. For instance we ordered 5 buffet breakfasts and about 10 minutes after sitting down the staff member came over and told us breakfast would be finishing in 10 minutes. Unbelievable, we could have been given this information before deciding to sit down.

The bar manager of one of the nights looked as if he was annoyed when we asked for a couple of cocktails to be made. Shaking his head as he made them.

The view from the rooms was horrible - a building of studio apartments with balconies filled with washing.

Room Tip: Ask for the harbour side.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
I am so sorry you had some less than satisfactory interactions with a couple of the staff members you encountered during your recent stay with us at Rydges Auckland, this is very disappointing to hear and I will most definitely bring this up with the team. It really can turn an otherwise fantastic hotel experience sour when you aren’t feeling valued as a guest and I am sorry you may have felt this way.
I hope we can welcome you back to Rydges Auckland again very soon and ensure you have a flawless experience with us next time.
Palmerston North
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We have had great experiences with the Wellington hotel so thought we would stay at Rydges in Auckland. Rooms were clean and tidy as we expected, with a great harbour view. Staff were all very friendly throughout our stay. Our only reservation was that on one day we didn't get our room serviced until 5pm (had been out the entire day) when we were wanting to prepare for dinner, however we would still stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Emily C
It’s great you have such wonderful experiences with the Rydges hotels in New Zealand, we love having you stay with us. I do apologise for the lateness of your room service from housekeeping though, but I do hope you had a fabulous evening out in town.
Looking forward to having you stay with us again very soon.
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Good sized room and was clean and comfortable. The hotel for me was conveniently located and a short walk from the Viaduct and Fullers booking office (for the day cruises). Front desk were extremely helpful and even gave me a free NZ sim card on arrival. Would stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Adrian T
I am so pleased you would choose to stay with us again at Rydges Auckland the next time you are in town. I love that the staff made such a great impression on you and you found them to be so extremely helpful upon your arrival at the hotel.
I hope your next stay with us is not too far away.
Kind regards,