“Excellent hotel in the CBD”
Review of Rydges Auckland

Rydges Auckland
Ranked #15 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Whangarei, New Zealand
“Excellent hotel in the CBD”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We have stayed at Rydges for over 8 years now and have always been happy with the hotel rooms. This time in particular was our best stay yet, both for the price and the experience. We joined the Priority Guest Rewards club and appreciated all the special touches. The beds were comfortable, the room was spotless, and you cannot beat the location. We also had an excellent buffet breakfast, with some unique features like chocolate and strawberry milk, and smoothies that made it even more enjoyable. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank L_DTravellers
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
Wow, thank you so much for your wonderful review! I am so pleased you loved the buffet breakfast, we have been working on ways to really make our breakfasts stand out from your average hotel buffets so it’s so great to read your glowing feedback, we will keep at it to really make us shine. I hope your next stay will be even better than your last as we strive to be the best we can be for our guests.
Kind regards,
Quenton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Ohope, New Zealand
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Very disappointed in Rydges Auckland. I have stayed in many Rydges Hotels over the years, including Auckland and I have to say this would be the worst service I have had.
Upon our arrival, late on Friday evening(after driving 5 hours!), the valet man advised us that their were no valet parking spaces left and we would have to park our own vehicle (despite booking the room weeks ahead with valet parking being part of the package). When checking in the man at reception barely spoke to me and spent most of his time on the phone talking to someone else!!!! Rude, so much for being a "priority guest".
Our room was down in the dungeon area of the hotel. The only windows were two small windows that were so high off the ground we were not able to look out of them for any kind of view.
When the room was serviced a half hearted attempt was made to make the bed, the cover and pillows were not put on the bed, towels were not replaced and nothing appeared to be cleaned, all in all very poor for a Rydges Hotel. Not happy, won't be choosing Rydges Auckland again when there are other Hotels that provide much better service where you are made to be feel welcome. Breakfast was pretty average also.

Room Tip: The Federal St room that we stayed in had small windows that you could not see out of. Avoid these r...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
I sincerely apologise for your inexcusable experience with us at Rydges Auckland, this is definitely not what we are known for and reading this has caused me great disappointment. I never want to hear of the staff being rude to guests or them feeling unwelcome when staying with us. I do thank you for your review and bringing this to my attention so I can discuss this with my managers and the staff involved immediately.
I hope you reconsider your decision and stay with us again, I can promise you the wonderful experience we are much better known for.
Warm regards,
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I spend quite a bit of time in Auckland for work reasons and Rydges is my first choice when it comes to accommodation. It is well located to my office building in Albert Street and to various cafes and restaurants where I choose to eat. Rooms aren't that big but nevertheless nicely appointed. First and foremost I love the beds - they call them Dream Beds and they really are comfortable. As I am not the most soundest of sleeper it is an added bonus when I get a good nights sleep and I get it at Rydges. I also like the shower - whilst the bathroom is quite compact the shower is plenty large enough for two people but note that it is open sided so best not to splash about too much. Terence the concierge always remembers me and greets me warmly.

Room Tip: A number of the rooms face Kingston Street and look out on to an ugly apartment building with lots o...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
We never tire from hearing about how great our beds are, because they really are! As you mentioned they are called Rydges Dream Beds and they were made specifically for us, our guests love them so much we sell them on our website and they are extremely popular. I am so pleased we can offer you a sound sleep whenever you stay with us.
Our bathrooms have only recently been refurbished to create these much larger showers, we removed the bathtubs which I think has opened up the room and made it seem much larger and comfortable to use.
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I will most certainly pass on your kind words to Terrance, he and I both look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Auckland very soon.
Kindest regards,
Pune, India
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

The rooms were good though views were not.the included breakfast was the best I had in all the hotels I stayed in New Zealand. Service was OK. Location was ideal as it is very close to the waterfront. We did not have dinner at the hotel at all

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your review on your recent stay with us at Rydges Auckland, it is so great to read that you loved your buffet breakfast! We have been working on making this stand out from your average hotel breakfast so I am so pleased you found it the best from all your hotel stays in New Zealand, we must be doing something right.
I hope your next stay with us is not too far away, it will give you the chance to try dinner in our stk Lounge Bar and Restaurant, another meal I think you would thoroughly enjoy.
Thanks again,
Fife
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We stayed at the Rydges hotel for 2 nights and were satisfied with the all round quality of both the accommodation and service. The bedroom was well furnished and the bed provided an excellent nights sleep.
All staff were very helpful and everything was done with a smile.
The hotel is well located being only a 2 minute walk from the bus station and 10 minutes from the ferry terminal. Taxis are readily available but are expensive.
We would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to potential guests.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
It’s so wonderful to read you had such a lovely experience with us while staying in Auckland, the staff take great pride in their work and helping our guests is foremost in their daily duties. I look forward to your next stay with us as we would love to welcome you back to Rydges Auckland very soon.
Warm regards,
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 13 December 2013

A modern hotel excellently located in the CBD. You could get whatever you want nearby the hotel even late at night.. food, groceries...etc. 1 min walk to the sky tower, 10mins walk to the ferry terminal which is super! The room was clean, neat and comfortable. The only con was no free parking. Staff were ok. Don't expect too much about the view from the room as it's only an apartment building with numerous flats. It's definitely good to stay in this hotel if you were planning to have short trip in Auckland city, you could easily and quickly tour around the city by staying in Rydges.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
You are right, Rydges Auckland is in the perfect location in the city to do pretty much anything and you can get most places in town by walking. Our views range from wonderful harbour views, to city views and of the Skytower – where you can actually watch as the brave ones dive off doing their SkyJumps!
Thank you for your review on Rydges Auckland, I hope your next visit with us is not too far away.
Best regards,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We travel to Auckland each year for work. We normally stay at another hotel but thought a change would be nice. I've summarised the events that follow to not bore you with all the details:
1. Check-in was problematic - person wouldn't listen and kept asking for credit card but our company had already prepaid rooms and sent a credit card authorisation to cover any other expenses.
2. We were booked into Level 10 where a function was on in the Rooftop Lounge which didn't finish till 11.30pm and people had to walk past my door to get to the lift. Noise didn't finish till midnight. Also had the thumping of the music and shouting from the venue all night. I was half-heartedly told by Reception that they could try and find me another room but the hotel was very full. We should have been told about the function centre at check-in and no guest should ever have to put up with 'pub' noise in a hotel.
3. There was another function the following night and I had to ask them for a different room. Very inconvenient and frustrating.
4. I had just gone back to my room to pack up and housekeeping turned up within 5 mins. Had to ask them to give me time to move first.
5. Entrance way was always full with people hanging around and smoking.
Only positives were the restaurant STK - excellent and the day Manager who took all our complaints - Franciso? very nice man and very professional.
Sorry Rydges, but you're not getting a repeat client. There were 4 of us.

Room Tip: Any room not close to the Rooftop Lounge on Level 10
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
I am so sorry to hear you had a less than satisfactory experience with us at Rydges Auckland, I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience that was caused to you by the function held on our level 10 rooftop. This time of year does attract a lot of functions with end of year and Christmas parties being held all over the city and while we do our absolute best to contain the noise level and patrons when hosting functions, they can sometimes become a little more rambunctious than expected. Again I apologise that this affected you so negatively on your stay with us.
I am pleased that we were able to move you to a much quieter part of the hotel and that you found our stk Lounge Bar and Restaurant to be excellent.
I hope you reconsider your choice and come and stay with us again, we would love to have you back and show you a much more welcoming experience which we are much better known for.
Thank you so much for your review, your comments and points have been extremely valuable in helping us on our path to be the great hotel we strive to be.
Kind regards,