“Poor experience”

Ranked #14 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Melbourne, Australia
“Poor experience”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We chose to stay our last night in NZ at the Rydges for a family treat, after staying with friends & family for 3 weeks. We went back to the room in the evening after a city day, to a warm room and put the air conditioning on. After 2.5 hours it was still 24.5 degrees in the room, abs uncomfortable for a family of four (our boys are 4 & 1). We called reception and after trying to fix in unsuccessfully, we were moved to a nearby room at around 8:30pm after our 1 year old had fallen asleep. This room took all night to drop down to 22 degrees, still too warm in a hotel room. Then to top it off, we received a wake up call at 6:25 that had not been cancelled from a previous guests stay and were denied a sleep in we were all looking forward to. Despite relating this all to the front desk at check out, there was no gesture to appease our displeasure.

• Stayed January 2014
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
I am so sorry to read you had a disappointing stay with us during your recent visit to Rydges Auckland. I can fully understand your frustration at not having your room air-conditioning work during the night, especially with very young children and in Summer time. I too have a one year old (who doesn’t sleep through the night yet) so an early wake up call when a sleep in is so desperately wanted would be more than annoying and I am so sorry for this intrusion into your stay.
I hope you can accept my sincere apologies for your experience, I know promises of fixed air conditioners are of no help to you now but I hope your next stay with us will be a much cooler and comfortable experience.
Quenton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We, my wife and I had two spells at the Rydges whilst travelling North and South of NZ , and 2B honest nothing was too much trouble from any of the the staff and especially a big mention for Dana Brophy on the front desk , who to be honest was brilliant and really made us feel at home ....
Rooms could do with a little bit more cleaning around sink plugs and taps , but if you can get a room with a view of the marina its a thumbs up.
We did eat in the restaurant on one night and the food was very good , however , the bar staff need to get there act together regards the first drinks. Its nice to have a drink whilst selecting your food and not have it turn up half way through your first course........
Location is very good with only a 5 min walk for ferries, 8 minutes for railways and a stones throw for the Sky tower...........

Room Tip: A room with a view, the hotel is surround by concrete
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
I will most certainly pass on your very lovely comments to Dana and the staff and I will also discuss your concerns with the relevant departments of the hotel as well. I am so pleased you had such a lovely stay with us, I hope your next will be perfect after your comments have been addressed fully.
Thank you for your review, it is very much appreciated.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Staff very helpful. We ate there the first night at the bar, food was great . Room was very comfortable. Location is great a few minutes to sky tower, also to Queen street. Wifi available with password.. Plenty restaurants within walking distance of hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
It was so great to have you here and I am so pleased you found the hotel in a great location with very helpful staff. I hope your next stay with us is not too far away as we would love to have you back.
Regards,
Napier, New Zealand
Reviewed 14 January 2014

This hotel is centrally located and is very handy to the viaduct and other Auckland activities. It is very good value and clean and tidy. I did not eat at the hotel. For business meetings I have previously used this establishment as well. The staff are good and look after your needs.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the harbour.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your lovely review, it is very much appreciated. I am so pleased you found the hotel ad staff to be everything you needed for your visit to Auckland, hopefully on your next stay you can try out our stk Lounge Bar and Restaurant, the food is amazing and well worth a visit.
Thank you again for your review.
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

This is a really nice hotel in the perfect location for shops and harbour. Rooms are a good size, well laid out and spotlessly clean. The staff were always really friendly and helpful throughout our stay

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review, I hope you had a wonderful time in Auckland and were able to see and do as much as possible during your stay. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.
Warm regards,
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Fabulous visit, from the moment we pulled up out front till the day we left we felt completely looked after. It was my Mums birthday which they picked up in casual conversation so they treated her to dessert at dinner. It's the small things that matter like the concierge remembering our names making you feel cared for.

• Stayed November 2013
I hope your mum had a wonderful birthday! I must say I love the title to your review, I will most certainly pass on your lovely comments to all the staff so they know what a great impact they had on your recent stay with us. I hope your next is not too far away.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 11 January 2014

The hotel was great, but we had a disappointing time at their New Year's Eve party, Light Up the Night. The tickets were expensive and we really didn't feel worth it in the end. 90% of the "open sky" viewing deck to the sky tower fireworks was covered, so everyone had to crowd against the far wall of the deck to see. Even then, unless you were one of the luck 20 or so people who squished against the wall itself, you only saw half of the tower. The supposedly open bar was only a choice of beer and white or red wine. The food was great, but dominated by seafood choices, and the setup of the entire deck was not well thought out at all. Staff were bringing tables, couches and chairs out as the night went on, so it seemed they hadn't prepared very well. All-in-all, we could see that they were trying their hardest to make it an enjoyable night for everyone, but we were really disappointed. We ended up staying for only a half hour out of the 3 hours allotted, then came back for a few minutes for the midnight toast and fireworks. For the cost of the ticket…really not worth it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
I am so sorry to read you had a disappointing experience with us during our New Years Eve party on the Rooftop – I will most certainly take all your comments and suggestions into consideration when we start planning for this years party so it can go off without a hitch.
I am pleased you enjoyed the food though, we have had some great comments regarding this night and the food was right up there with the best so I am glad you thought so too.
I hope your next visit with us is not too far away.
Kind regards,