“great spot for business or pleasure” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rydges

Rydges
Ranked #15 of 68 Hotels in Auckland
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“great spot for business or pleasure”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Stayed here on Saturday night and was very happy with the hotel. A quiet room despite being right in the middle of the city. There was some confusion when I initially checked in, not least because I arrived in the middle of the cyclone, soaked and a little stressed, but the pleasant man on reception smoothed the path, 'made an exception' and got me checked in with minimal fuss.

Although I accept that this is a hotel not a self catering space, I had brought some food with me and felt a plate and knife would not have gone astray in the kitchen area. And instant coffee...I was a little surprised there was no plunger - surely a compulsory part of a CBD hotel these days?

Overall though a great experience and would gladly recommend. And yes, as promised in the guest information book, it really was a supremely comfortable bed.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

The Rydges hotel in Auckland is in an excellent location and handy to everything Central Auckland has to offer. For me the high light was the service. Everyone from the Concierge to the Business Development Manager went out of their way to make my stay enjoyable.
I am a regular client and the service is always consistently great and friendly. The rooms are well appointed and I think the hotel is great value for money but what makes me keep coming back is the friendly professional service.

Room Tip: Sometimes in the weekend there can be rooftop parties which can get loud so ask when you check in an...
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

I'm a regular guest at this hotel and while I appreciate the location, standard of hotel and food options, on the last two stays I have had what can be minor issues but leave you feeling a bit annoyed. This stay (last week) I called down to reception as there was no bath plug in the room. I waited 40 minutes for one to arrive and at 10.40PM I gave up and rang down to say don't bother. The stay prior to this the bathroom had absolutely no toiletries in the room and the fridge was off. On both occasions I have rang the reception to provide feedback. No response received after this. Really do recommend you take the feedback and use it when it's received rather than waiting till I get a survey link to tell you my thoughts again.

1 Thank Lizalou1971
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stayed here with my husband who was attending a conference. Great location, walking distance to most places. Rooms are well appointed, spacious and very comfortable beds. Breakfast and dinner were great. I am also a RPG member so the 50% off food and beverage (not breakfast) was a great bonus. Highly recommended and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Yonnamalone
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

just beside auckland sky tower, very convenient location for whom wish to stay in the central of city! the room i stay have a great view!!!you can see the whole sky tower from the room! the room is very clean, staffs are nice !

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

Had a meeting in Auckland so I had Rydges booked and confirmed to stay the night.
When I went to check in, the duty manager supposedly was unable to find my booking even though Rydes reservations had booked and confirmed accommodation for myself and fellow work colleges.
Despite the fact that my other work colleges had checked in......my booking had disappeared!
The duty manger then went to say that we are overbooked and there are no rooms available.

It's 5pm and I'm in the middle of Auckland without accommodation!!
The duty manager made no effort to offer any alternative solutions or organise a room with another hotel.
Shame on you Rydges!!
This is not the first time you have lost my booking......

Room Tip: I would suggest ringing this hotel a day ahead to make sure they haven't lost your booking or me...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank cyberia_302
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

the guy arrived to do our housekeeping about 9am - a time i felt was very early for a saturday morning, when we're away for a weekend, it's a chance to sleep in etc. My partner was still in the shower, so I asked him to come back later. He never came back.

We were in and out again about 2pm, room still not done - so were going to ask at the desk, but there was a queue and we had to leave so didn't get the chance.

We got back about 12.30 am to find the room exactly as we'd left it. So we had to ring down and get someone to bring us fresh towels and clean cups so we could make a cuppa in the morning - luckily we still had milk left. We made the bed ourselves.

I don't have a problem with paying for parking, but it would have been nice to have been advised of the cost up front.

The jug is awkward to fill up from the bathroom sink - the jug is too big and the tap / basin too shallow

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple