“Great Stay - A few issues this time though”
Review of Rydges Auckland

Rydges Auckland
Ranked #13 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Hamilton, New Zealand
“Great Stay - A few issues this time though”
Reviewed 23 June 2010

My partner and I regularly stay at Rydges when we can get a good deal ($130.00 incl parking or under) and this time we were given a room in the new tower.

The room was nice although the bed wasn't one of their dream beds which was a bit disappointing as those beds are fantastic. The new bathroom was great with a fantastic shower - the option of having the rain shower or the wall shower is a nice touch. The only thing I felt would have made this better is a door on the shower as the water went everywhere. This room seemed to be smaller than the 'old' rooms although there is good storage for luggage.

The only real downside to our stay was getting our car after we had checked out. We called prior to check out to order this and when we were checking out, one of the staff came back with our keys saying she couldn't drive the car as it was a manual. That was fine as I assumed she had given the keys to the other staff member getting the cars but after waiting for 20 minutes and seeing lots of other cars being brought round, we asked the other staff member who found our keys had been placed back in the cupboard with no note that the car had been requested.

Other than this small glitch we had an enjoyable stay and will definitely be back although might request an 'old' room with the dream bed rather than a new one.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
RydgesAKL, Executive Assistant Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, 5 July 2010
Thank you for your feedback and its nice to know you are a regular guest at Rydges Harbourview when travelling to Auckland.

All of the new rooms definately have a Rydges Dream Bed!
Maybe email me your room number or the name the booking was under and I will double check the room and bed as this is puzzling!

I'm sorry about the mix up with your vehicle being returned from Valet Car Parking.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

katie_scholes@rydges.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 June 2010

Stayed here while attending a seminar in another hotel in Auckland. Would definitely stay again. Room had lovely view. Very modern, yet not sterile. Impressed with the restaurant food, very tasty and 'home cooked' flavour which you don't find very often while still has a modern upbeat feel to the restaurant. Staff were pleasant and helpful. I asked for a conference pack to be available for me when I booked online....and it was! Appreciated the follow through. Would look at holding a seminar there in the future.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
RydgesAKL, Executive Assistant Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, 28 June 2010
Thank you "family adventures" for your posting about your recent Rydges Harbourview experience.

Sounds like you had a great experience especially dining at stk House Bar & Grill, I will pass on your feedback to the team.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to a seminar in the future.

Hampshire
Reviewed 20 June 2010

My husband and i stayed at the Rydges Aukland for one night on our way to Rotorua.

The hotel is centrally located just a couple of minutes from the Sky Tower so in a good location if your in Aukland to see the city.

We arrived in the evening and really just wanted some food and a bed for the night. Our room was clean and had everything you needed plus a comfy bed which was good - but it was freezing! The aircon read 17degrees. I called reception to find out how to change this and they said it would take about 15 minutes to heat up once I re-set it. We re set it and then went to the restaurant for dinner.

The resaurant was a bit soul-less and only really serves stake which isn't great if you don't eat meat. My husband's dinner turn up cold so we had to send it back and ask them to put it in the microwave.

After dinner we went back to our room which was still freezing. In the morning the aircon said 18 degrees so we never did manage to get it warm.

Overall I would say this hotel is OK. If you just want a clean, centrally located place to sleep then it's fine. The staff are helpfull enough. I woudln't recomend it for a long stay though, or if you're looking for something with a touch of luxury about it,

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you "Hampshire Bob" for your comments. My apologies for the issues you encountered during your stay with the air conditioning / heating unit in your room and also the evening meal requiring attention.

I will look into your feedback to correct the heating issue and also your feedback to the chef to ensure we have consistency in our stk grill restaurant.

Melbourne
Reviewed 15 June 2010

The good:
Location is great - just near Sky Tower and close enough to the harbour and Queens St.
Room was clean - new - and quite nice
Room was spacious, shower was clean and with good pressure (no bath)
Valet Parking was efficient and timely
Breakfast was good and plentiful.
Bed and room very comfortable - but clinical

the bad:
Charging for ice
charging for internet ($29)
only allowing 200Mb per day for internet
no minibar pricing in the room
Entertainment folder in room has all the Sky Channel info, but the TV has only a couple of channels (8)

A good hotel let down by penny pinching -they could do a lot better

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank caggsMelbourne
RydgesAKL, Executive Assistant Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, 29 June 2010
Thank you for your comments about the good and bad from your stay with us.

Your good comments I agree with and it is always comforting to see we are meeting the standards of our guests.

I am dissapointed to see you were charged for ice delivery, this should not be the case as it is not a standard hotel charge. The team are aware that ice delivery is complimentary service on request to our hotel guests.

With regards to the internet charges we do have a number of internet options along with free wireless in the hotel lobby area.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope this has helped future guests.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 June 2010

The location couldn't be beat. We had a early morning bus ride so a two block walk to the station was perfect. It's close to most of the restaurants/shops/bars, etc. The check in process was painless but the service was pretty sterile. The room and bathroom was clean. However, the water pressure on the shower was more like a sprinkler than a real shower! The temperature was also hard to adjust. Everything about the hotel was average or below other than the location.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
RydgesAKL, Executive Assistant Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, 13 June 2010
Thank you for your comments on your stay at Rydges Harbourview Auckland.

The hotel has a great location in the center of the city within easy walking distance of most major attractions.

I'm sorry you found the hotel to be average and reception sterile. The hotel has recently completed a major refurbishment which has seen the ground floor transformed with a contemporary feel.

I note you have recently completed a trip around New Zealand and have placed feedback on other properties, thank you for sharing your feedback with other travellers about Rydges Harbourview Auckland.

Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 6 June 2010

Wanting something special for my husband's 50th, I paid extra for a deluxe harbour view room - don't bother as the new tower is smack right in front of view - looked at three rooms before ending on 12th floor which was OK view wise. Really need to be on top two floors to have unobstructed view. Also found curtains VERY difficult to open and close as there were no drawstrings or pull bars - but they were room darkening. Plus, given the distance from the harbour itself, the view is really nothing to get excited about - maybe better in the newer tower?

Minimal toilettries after reading that deluxe room had good tolettries - found that was only plentiful for top floors (believe I was paying the same) but 12th floor amenities minimal compared to 14th floor - go figure.... I did enjoy the robes that came with the Deluxe room but there were no slippers are mentioned in website. When and I called and asked for the slippers was told NONE in hotel.

I did appreciate that I was able to checkin early after a long international flight.

Claims to be refurbished but found room needing paint, lots of mars on wall. Showerhead left much to be desired (fine drizzly spray - difficult to rinse out longer hair). Mold onbottom tiles above tup. Bathroom vent CAKED with dust. Had to ask for extra towels more than once.

Also, had to call EVERYDAY (stayed 4 nights) to get complementary plunger coffee, instant hot chocolate and cream restocked - some days, plunger not cleaned out. Mini bar prices were reasonable, given a hotel (once I got the price list delivered to room). No complementary biscuits/cookies which is typical in even 3 star hotels.

Bed was very comfortable and concierge staff very helpful and location was good. Also, AVIS will delivery a car right to the hotel and pick it up when your done from hotel - wish I had known that from Day 1 - good to know for next time.

All in all, OK for what I paid but given the number of stars I was alittle disappointed.

Few tips about Auckland - we ate 3 times at Cin-Cin at Ferry bldg - wonderful! Great 4-6pm happy hr prices as well. We took the ferry and did the wine tour on Waiheke island. DO NOT recommend wine tour as they charge for tastings which I feel should be included in the tour prices - much cheaper to just take the ferry and get an all day bus pass as it appeared that the bus stops at the wineries anyway. We rented a car last day and went to wineries to west of Auckland and found them to be VERY good/nice - funny there were NO brochures for that region in hotel or around city. We also found you can get a bus link day pass for $10 NZ which is good for 4 bus systems. Also discovered (too late to take advantage) that the Waitomo caves has a absail/zipline adventure! Have to do that next trip

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for comments following on from your stay with us after a long International flight. I'm glad our reception team were able to accommodate your early arrival with the early check in.

Please accept my apologies for the disappointment in the Deluxe room type and the view. We are located in the city although we do have a number of rooms with Harbourviews but yes they are from a distance.

The concierge have a selection of brochures on Waiheke and the tours on offer and we have a limited number of brochures displayed in the lobby on city attractions. Thank you for your tips for travellers to Aucklanhd about the tours and dining, it great to see people sharing these suggestions.

I hope the rest of your trip is enjoyable.

waitakere city
Reviewed 1 June 2010

lucky enough to get bargin room via one day promo sale on the net.
fourth floor with peep of the sea and view over st patricks church.
extremely comfortable bed and very nice decor and furnishings in public areas.
good location for waterfront and uptown, easy walk, also lots of places to eat close by.
would recommend to visitors in auckland for short stay.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recommendation to other travellers to select Rydges Harbourview Auckland, I'm glad you had a comfortable and enjoyable stay with us.