“Modern rooms for a good price”
Review of Rydges Auckland

Rydges Auckland
Ranked #11 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 28 July 2010

I stayed at Easter and found this hotel to be awesome. You are a minute walk from sky city and a ten minute stroll from the harbour.

Rooms are first class and so is the service.

I had to stay an extra few days due to the volcanic ash disruption, but the hotel more than made up for it.

RydgesAKL, Executive Assistant Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2010

Dear Marcus9000, I'm glad you managed to return home safe and sound and enjoyed a few extra days at Rydges Harbourview Auckland thanks to the great big ash cloud the other month!

Executive Assistant Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,280)

Reviewed 27 July 2010

What a transformation this hotel has undergone... I stayed there a few years ago, and I admit it was looking a little tired... but the hotel now looks fantastic! They must have spent a fortune on it and every cent is worth it.
I love the new restaurant... best steak in Auckland!!!
I stayed in a suite which was fantastic - comfortable, spacious & luxurious. I had the best nights sleep in the fabulous Dream Bed.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business

It's great that you have stayed at Rydges Auckland and few years ago and have since returned after our renovations have been completed. I'm glad you enjoyed the steak in our signature restaurant, stk along with a great nights sleep in our dream beds.

Thank you loz2008, we look forward to your return in the future,

Reviewed 26 July 2010

Stayed here for 8 nights in early July 2010.

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. The location is absolutely fantastic. 1 short block from Skycity. 6-7 min walk to the harbour. 5 min walk to Westfields shopping.

Room was serviced daily when I was out and about (bed made, clean towels). Room was on the 8th floor, very quiet at night and slept great every night. Room service food was very delicious the couple of times I ordered in. The staff were very friendly and helpfull throughout my stay from reception to conceige to room service.

My only minior issue (and it is minor) they had a new or "in training" staff member who was left on his own at times at the reception desk, who couldnt promptly answer some basic questions. Once I had identified he was in training I just made the effort to leave him alone and lookout for the more experienced staff for help or guidance.

I got a tremedous rate staying at this hotel. Intend to stay no where else when visiting Auckland again within the next 12 months. Hopefully after all these great reviews their prices dont go up too much, hehe.

All the best

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Travelman2500

Dear Travelman2500, thank you for your detailed review, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel on your return and I would be more than happy to assist with your accommodation requirements, katie_scholes@rydges.com.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel,

Reviewed 15 July 2010

great weekend had in Auckland with friends an wonderful hotel to stay in. Staff were A for awsome! Could not of been anymore helpful!
Hotel is oh so handy to everything is the city! Rooms were clean an tidy....abit on the smallish side, but we did have two double beds in it........so cant be picky!
Thanks Rydges Auckland....You can expect us again in the near future! :)

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank nzkes
RydgesAKL, Executive Assistant Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2010

Great feedback thank you - I'm glad the team were of assistance with their friendly personlised service.

Reviewed 12 July 2010

We stayed here twice when in Auckland, overall it was a great hotel. I liked the free Wi-Fi in the lobby which was nice for a Rydges hotel, and the location was close to everything we wanted to do. I would definitely recommend people staying here!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Athex
RydgesAKL, Executive Assistant Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2010

Thank you for taking the time to let other travelers know about your recent stay at Rydges Harbourview Auckland and how well it suited your needs.

I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us, we look forward to you returning some day soon.

Reviewed 2 July 2010

I stayed at Rydges Auckland for 2 nights last week after attending a trade show in Auckland. I chose to stay at Rydges due to it's good location and the fantastic rates that they were offering (I paid AU$72 per night) and I wanted to be in a location that enabled me to do some sight seeing before I came back to Australia. The hotel is just a few minutes walk to the harbour (great restaurants & bars) and Queen Street (good shopping) and one short block from Skycity. The location is very central and walking distance to many of Auckland's attractions. I had one of their new rooms which was very modern & clean with an open plan bathroom wich was small but had everything I needed. Didn't have a view of the harbour but I didn't expect a view at the very low rate I was paying. My room faced an apartment block in a side laneway which was a bit noisy during the night, it seemed that young people congregated in the laneway till very late. The room and open plan bathroom was very modern & clean, not large, but well appointed. Reception staff were accommodating and friendly, hotel in a good location. Room service food was good, lots of restaurants in walking distance if you want to eat out. The Chinese restaurant at Skycity is fantastic, food is a bit on the pricey side but very very good!
If you are looking for a good quality hotel at a good price point in a good location I would recommend Rydges Auckland.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank lynWollongong
RydgesAKL, Executive Assistant Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2010

Dear "lynwollongong"

Thank you for your recommendation and posting on tripadvisor from your stay with us a few days ago. It is always great to hear that the hotel's location and product meets our guests expectations and to share your feedback on attractions in the area.

Hoping to welcome you back to the hotel in he future.

Reviewed 30 June 2010

Stayed here for 5 nights as part of a business trip.
The location is good and the the room was very recently renovated and was very clean and modern. The staff were attentive and the room rates were very competitive.
The free wireless internet worked fine, was also great. They had sky Movies, which is a big plus.

Three complaints:
1) My bathroom appeared to be designed for a wheelchair and it had a persistent smell of mold. I complained twice but nothing appeared to be done. Perhaps the design of the bathroom made this hard, not sure.
2) The bed side lights are ceiling mounted downlights. This is plain silly and a really bad design.
3) The hotel breakfast rate was outrageous (as usual for most hotels). When there are so many cafes scattered around the building offering great food at good rates, I never ate in the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business

Thank you "luckydog428" for you feedback on your recent stay. Breakfast in "stk am" is a force to be reckoned with a huge selection for our guests, I'm sorry the cost was not justifiable on this occassion.

Thank you for your other points to note - we will look into those comments for you.