“Good location, service awful.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Rydges Auckland

Rydges Auckland
Ranked #15 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
Portsmouth England
“Good location, service awful.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2011

The location was really good for what we wanted to do. 50 yards away from the Skytower, 5 minutes from the main shops and 10 minutes from the harbour. Room ( we had a corner room so lots of glass) was spacious and clean. Staff were not that good. We had a long flight before we got there and didnt check in until late, we were woken up by the phone ringing, it was the cleaners asking if we wanted our room serviced (it was 8:45am!!!). One night we decided to eat in STK the restaurant which looked very glamourous, unfortunatley we had a cocky, know it all waiter who just wanted to show off, and above all talk to his colleagues instead of serving people. We actually waited 25 minutes for a drink to arrive, when a) there were only three tables being used and b) there wasn't ANYONE standing at the bar. The waiter managed to take away and replace the wrong cutlery then tutted when we asked for them to be corrected. He also managed to get our order wrong, god knows what he would have been like if there were more people there!!!. Overall the staff put us off staying at this hotel again. Not helpful at all.

6 Thank Glenn R
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, 11 February 2011
Thank you for your comments, despite the content being of a concerning nature.
You are right with our location, it is excellent and makes it very easy to access everything the CBD of Auckland has to offer. I’m also pleased to hear that you found your room spacious and clean, as these are important aspects of a comfortable stay and Rydges Auckland will always strive to exceed these standards.

The fact that you were woken up at 8:45am is completely unacceptable and I apologise for this. This should never have taken place and it will be addressed with our Housekeeping department to ensure it understands that this incident cannot be repeated.
Your comments relating to the attitude of the waiter in STK is very alarming and disappointing myself and I apologise for this behaviour. It upsets me to read this and there is absolutely no reason or excuse for it. Your comments have been discussed with the Restaurant team and it’s been made very clear to them that there is absolutely no place for that type of behaviour in STK or Rydges Auckland.

It disappoints me knowing that this experience has tainted your impression of Rydges Auckland and I would like the opportunity to change this impression; so if you were to return to Rydges Auckland it would be my pleasure to provide the level of service that we pride ourselves on, that so many of our guests experience.

Hope to see you soon

Quenton.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Nottingham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2011

Stayed for 2 nights. Front staff were poor with a 'how can I end this conversation and get away with doing as little as possible' attitude. I had a gin and tonic at the bar and queried why the barman threw the first one away. He laughed saying it had protein in it, meaning it had an insect in the glass. Ummmm, funny. Room was small (Harbour View King) and not well equipped. Fridge was dusty and didn't work, only one glass was supplied (for a 2 adult booking) the windows didn't open, the shower room (no bath) was a joke (a corridor shaped space carved out of the bedroom with an ill fitting sliding door to access) and there were hairs stuck on the tiles of the shower room on arrival which were still there when we left. The location suggests it is by the harbour but it isn't. It's in a rather seedy part of town near the Sky Tower / casino with fast food joints all around. The harbour is a 10-15 minute walk down a hill and therefore up again to get back. I should have taken more heed of the negative reviews and switched the booking.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, 12 February 2011
At Rydges Auckland we take pride in the exceptionally high level of service we offer however it is clear in this instance that we failed to do that and I apologise for this. Friendly service with polite conversation is the foundation of the industry that we operate and it disappoints me to read that we have not achieved this. The humour by our barman was clearly distasteful for the situation. Your concerns relating to the dusty fridge and only one glass in your room is clearly an issue with the training of standards with our Housekeeping department, this will be rectified I can assure you. We do have a range of different accommodation rooms available that we would have been glad to show you, in hope that one of our larger rooms would have satisfied your expectations.
Rydges Auckland is located close to Auckland Harbour and only 5 minute walk from the Sky City Casino. Our location makes it easy to experience the very best of Auckland.

I would appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back in order for you to experience the improvements we have made. Thank you for your comments; we believe these are valuable in improving further on what we have.

Kind regards,

Christchurch NZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2011

A great hotel and walking distance to everything. Skytower is 1 minute away. We had booked B&B on their website and this was the best price available. It included twin superior beds and breakfast. When we arrived at the hotel the very nice reception staff member who checked us in offered us a king bed which we accepted and were more than happy with. We were also able to get into our room at 11am instead of the usual check in time of 2pm. The room was nicely furnished and clean. The bed was a "Rydges Dream Bed" and it was just that. The most comfortable bed we have ever slept in in a hotel room.
The breakfast had an excellent selection of food both hot food and cold fruits cereals etc. The only complaint I had about the whole experience was that the hot food was only luke warm. By the time you had put it on your cold plate and taken it to the table to eat, the food was barely warm at all. This is very disappointing when everything else about the breakfast was excellent.
Apart from this the hotel was great and I would recommend it to anyone wanting a central place to stay in Auckland.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
It’s always pleasing to read of such positive comments that support our passion of providing the very best in service and quality products to all our guests. We understand that our guests can arrive earlier than 2pm and all they want is to rest, so were possible our front desk will provide a room straight away and I’m pleased this was possible for yourself, plus you got to experience the Rydges Dream bed as soon as you arrived – yes they are truly fantastic!

We are very proud of our refurbishments, especially the breakfast buffet in STK Restaurant but it disappointments me to read that the temperature of the breakfast was only warm, this is certainly not the standard we strive for and I apologise for that.

Next time you are in Auckland please do stay again where I’m confident the breakfast will be just as you expect it.

Until next time, thank you

Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2011

"harbor view" is a slightly embellished - you need to peer carefully between the buildings to view the harbor. I found the room to be both dirty & cramped. By far the worst of 8 places stayed in whilst in New Zealand. Convenient? Yes. Would I stay again? A big fat no!

Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Despite the negative nature of your views you will be pleased to know that all our reviews are taken very seriously and your comments relating to the term Harbourview have been addressed, as you will see we are now Rydges Auckland. Your comments on your room being dirty is something that we can and will rectify, this is unacceptable and our Housekeeping team will be reminded to focus on the detail, to ensure this remains as an isolated incident.

With regards to the room being cramped I can only suggest that we have a range of accommodation rooms that vary in sizes and we would have appreciated the opportunity to show you any of these, on your next visit please ask.

With your concerns now rectified please ensure that you book your next visit at Rydges Auckland, so you can experience the improvements for yourself.

Sincere regards,

Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2011

Located in a perfect location, virtually next to SkyTower & is in Auck CBD. Great rooms and matching superb staff service. One of the Best Places to Stay in Auckland.
Modern rooms & totally enjoyed the free WiFi Internet.
Really good value for money. Used nice & Quick valet parking. really convenient. And the beds are extra comfy... ;)
Also The STK on-site restaurant is well recommended. Excellent Staff & Great food. Loved the breakfast, very nice start to the day ;)
Didn't experience any problems at all....Great Stuff !!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank tspeiris
It sounds like you had a great time at Rydges Auckland and all your expectations were met, from the service offered by our front desk team to your experience at STK restaurant - which is what we take pride in – thank you.
Your views are appreciated by the entire team here at Rydges Auckland; your review has inspired and reassured them that the focus and training we put on satisfying our guests does get felt, as always you are welcome back.

New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2011

I came with high expectations, and overall they were met. The hotel is located very centrally - one block from the Sky Tower (my 8th floor room was directly under it) and less than two blocks from Queen Street. I can see that if you didn't know Auckland it may not look very good from the outside, but the neighbourhood is safe so long as you are smart, and appearances are deceiving.

Check in was excellent, as was the vallet parking ($28). The room (two twin beds) was well maintained and had plainly had renovations but there were a few suitcase marks on the walls. The tv was good and the bed just excellent!

Very little noise when trying to sleep (although I doubt the hotel was full). No noise from outside at all.

Check out was good, and the car was ready when requested, although it did take some time for him to answer the phone when I called to have the car brought round - that said, it was half an hour before checkout time....

I got a good rate online, and overall was very happy with the hotel, having worked in the industry myself, I know what to look out for.

• Stayed January 2011
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, 15 February 2011
Dear Reviewer, it’s always encouraging to receive feedback from someone that is familiar with the industry – thank you.

You are right, the location of Rydges Auckland is excellent for those wishing to explore the centre of Auckland, which is something that everyone of our guests enjoys.
We focus on ensuring that all our services are streamlined to minimise the hassle for our guest, this is something that we are constantly enhancing and its satisfying for us to see that you found our check-in and check-out process to be very efficient. The delay you experienced in having the phone answered does concern me, this will be brought to the attention of the front desk team to ensure that what caused this delay for you, remains as an isolated incident.
Our online rates are typically the most competitive, its great that you benefited from these. When you are next staying in Auckland please ensure that you visit the Rydges Auckland website to secure the very best accommodation deals.

We hope to see you return soon

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2011

My second and last visit to an otherwise ok hotel blighted by the presence of pubic hair in the bed left by a previous occupant. Despite drawing management's attention to this along with the evidential hair, I have heard not a word.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Dear Reviewer,

It is extremely concerning to read of your experience with the unwanted hair that you discovered in your room. I can assure you that this certainly is not an indication of the standards we strive for and constantly deliver to our guests at Rydges Auckland. However in this incident we have not lived up to these high standards that we pride ourselves on and I apologise for this. It also concerns me with the lack of a response especially for such a serious matter, this is unacceptable and I can appreciate your frustration and disappointment.

It is disappointing to hear that this is your last visit, I would like to think that you would visit us again where we can prove to you, first hand, the improvements that we have implemented and the exceptional level of service that we deliver. This would also give me the opportunity to meet you and apologise in person for this experience. What you experienced should never have occurred and I can confidently say there will not be a repeat of this.

I would appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back to Rydges Auckland but I understand this is at your discretion.

With sincere apologies