This is a good hotel with some glitches. We were here for mixed reasons, conference and family holiday.
Coming from North America we arrived at the hotel about 8 am, and therefore could not expect an immediate check in. We were told that guests had to check out by 11 am, and that we would get priority as soon as our rooms could be cleaned. We said we would even welcome one room to start off. We gave them our local cell phone number and they promised to call. We walked down to Queen Street and killed time because not much was open yet on a Sunday morning. At about 11:30 we took the shuttle back to the hotel, and it was if we had never talked to anyone before. We talked to another staff member and were told the same thing as before. We finally got our room at 1 pm. Of course, the hotel has the right to set the check in time, but it would have been better if we had simply been told to come back at 1 pm. If I had to do it over again, I would have booked a city tour that morning rather than deal with the long delay. I should add that the staff was always polite and tried to be helpful, but there seemed to be a disconnect in the information flow.
The best deal at the hotel was the extended stay for a minimum of five nights. This gave us two free breakfasts per room and free internet. This was a considerable saving as the adult buffet breakfasts alone were NZ$37 per person (the children's are half this price). If you don't have breakfast included, but book in advance a single adult breakfast is NZ$29.95. By the way it is an excellent breakfast buffet with an omelet station and a pancake/waffle station making things to order as well as a varied buffet that includes some Asian offerings.
As I said the service was very good and the staff very friendly. My main reservation was over the quality of room maintenance, and this is the reason I only give it a 4 circle rating. We had a clock radio and safe that didn't work, and another room had no clock radio at all when our colleague checked in.
Since we had free internet we did not use the hotel computers, but there were free access computers on the 5th and 6th floors, not sure if this is true of all floors.
We used the hotel shuttle frequently. We would usually walk down Queen Street and catch it back to the hotel to save the walk up the hill. It was a good service, but once it left prior to the departure time with us chasing it down the street to no avail. We had three watches showing the earlier time. So I suggest being at the stop at least five minutes early. Also unfortunately the shuttle makes no stops in between the pick up point and the hotel. It might have been nice to add a mid-way stop.
We would stay at the hotel again, but only with the extended stay package.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Designed for guests who value heartfelt service and engaging experiences, Cordis Auckland is located in a lively uptown area, within walking distance of the city’s museum, galleries and shops. The 411 modern rooms and suites are meticulously tailored to your way of life. Thoughtful extras and stylish interiors reveal a genuine attention to detail, with the latest in connectivity including complimentary high-speed Internet (15MBps) and a free-to-use smartphone in every room with a built-in city guide. The contemporary Eight restaurant and sophisticated Lobby Lounge offer stylish places to dine and socialise, while peaceful Chuan Spa and a heated roof-top pool create the perfect urban retreat for guests to relax and unwind. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Cordis, Auckland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Langham Auckland Hotel Auckland Central
- Langham Hotel Auckland
- The Langham Hotel Auckland
- Cordis, Auckland New Zealand