“We Were Sad to Leave”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Brisbane, Australia
“We Were Sad to Leave”
Reviewed 28 March 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights prior to going on a 12 night cruise (which commenced in Auckland). The best hotel we have ever stayed at is the Langham in Melbourne. So without hesitation we both decided on the Langham for our stay in Auckland.

Upon arrival we were warmly greeted. The check-in process was very efficient. After we arrived to our room, our luggage was there within 5 minutes. This is very fast by most hotel standards. One of my dislikes is waiting around for luggage once I’ve arrived in my room. Unfortunately most hotels (even many of the top hotels) are very poor when it comes to getting luggage to the room in a timely manner. When I made the booking I requested a room away from the lifts and a room overlooking the City. I was told that this would be fine and I had this confirmed in an e-mail. I did get a room away from the lifts but unfortunately didn’t get a room overlooking the CBD. I also booked a Club Room. I was of the understanding that the Club Rooms were located on 10th floor, but we were given a room on 9th floor.

The room was small, particularly for a 5 star hotel. Also some of the furnishings appeared to be worn and out dated. For example there was a large, old style chair in the room. This chair was worn with frayed edges. We didn’t use this chair and I don’t think too many people staying in a hotel room would use this chair either. The chair seemed to be more for display purposes in order to fit in with the hotels classic, elegant and grand theme. In my opinion the hotel would be better off removing such a tattered piece of furniture from the room. Also it would free up some space.

The sleep quality was excellent. The bed was extremely comfortable. The sheets were clean, crisp and bright white. The towels were of the highest quality and there were top quality amenities provided in the bathroom. Slippers and nice thick bath robes were also provided.

The housekeeping was nothing short of first class. On a couple of occasions after we had breakfast and returned to our room we bumped into the housekeeper, Louise. She was the best housekeeper you could ever imagine. Her attention to detail was outstanding and she went the extra mile when attending to the room. She was always happy, friendly and cheerful. She was an amazing lady and if the other housekeepers are just half as good as Louise, then the Langham Auckland is in good hands.

Staying in a club room meant that we had access to the club lounge. To me the club lounge is like an oasis. When you have been out for the day and arrive back to the hotel, you know that you have something to look forward to. The afternoon tea comprises of a good variety and good quality food. There are also drinks available. In addition to the food, the 10th floor club lounge is a quiet, relaxing place. In the morning there is a buffet breakfast in the lounge, but because we had the more extensive buffet breakfast in Restaurant Eight in our package, we didn’t eat breakfast in the club lounge. If you are hungry throughout the day there is delicious ice-cream, yoghurt and fruit available, along with bottled water, tea and coffee just to mention a few.

As I previously mentioned we had the buffet breakfast at Restaurant Eight. This is one of the best breakfasts that you will experience. We also had dinner in Restaurant Eight on the night we arrived. It was the best dinner my wife and I had ever had. So we decided to have dinner there again two nights later. Again, it was outstanding. If I lived in, or anywhere near Auckland I would regularly have dinner at Restaurant Eight. In addition to the food, all the staff we encountered in Restaurant Eight were so wonderful, especially Lani. Lani seemed to always be working at Restaurant Eight whenever we ate there. She always made us feel welcome and made our experience at the restaurant even better. On our last morning after breakfast we said goodbye to Lani and she was genuinely sad that we were leaving.

I did use the hotel gym once. It was one of the better hotel gyms I have come across. There was also a heated outdoor pool that looked very inviting. Unfortunately, we were unable to find time during our stay to have a swim.

The location of the hotel is a bit of a walk from the main part of the CBD. In fact, when walking back from the CBD to the hotel, there is a steep uphill climb. However, the hotel does offer a complimentary shuttle bus service to its guests. From memory it runs every 30 minutes. So with the shuttle bus service the location of the hotel is not a problem. In fact I found the location of the hotel to be excellent. The nearby “K” Road was a very interesting area. We also walked to the top of the Mt Eden volcano, which wasn’t far from the hotel. Also we caught the Airbus Express (blue bus) from the airport to the hotel. It cost $16 per person which seemed to be a lot cheaper than other transport options. It leaves the airport every 10 minutes and its first stop in the CBD is none other than the Langham Hotel.

Despite the negatives I have mentioned, both my wife and I loved this hotel. All the staff we encountered were wonderful; especially Louise and Lani. We were sad to leave and next time we come to Auckland, we will stay at The Langham Hotel.

Room Tip: I recommend a Club Room.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lovers1996

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (631)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Paihia, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Again a pleasant stay at this first class hotel. Staff is friendly and helpful, there is no waiting in the reception aerea, but someone will approach you immediately and help you or speed up your check in. Rooms are nice, we got an upgrade again, and it is just a "feeling well" athmosphere there. Toiletteries are from the Chuan Spa, very nice looking, and breakfast is superb. The price, too, but you get what you pay, and even a bit more,.....

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 March 2012 via mobile

The breakfast was amazing and the rooms were incredible. Excellent time

Stayed January 2012
Wanaka, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Many other reviewers capture the essence of the rooms and staff. Hotel is a delightful property with excellently furnished rooms. All of the staff is outstanding. The car service to the water front is well done. You can actually walk to many places of interest from the hotel. If you are a business traveller, you probably won't care about the following comments. If you are a leisure traveller, you may. Beware that the hotel charges $25.00 (NZ)/day for internet access. We went around the corner to a delightful cafe and had breakfast and good free wi-fi. Also, if you are paying with a credit card, the hotel adds another 2% on the bill. The hotel does a lot of business conferences and also brings in the cruise crowd before their departures. Would I stay here again, yes.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Langham hotel in Auckland was outstanding, the service was fantastic soon as you walk in, someone would assist you without hesitation, soon as you check in one of the team members actually showed me around the hotel where things where. The rooms are modern yet have a old School feel to them, bathroom is a tad small but no big issue.

The club lounge is great, unlimited ice cream is never a bag thing. The restaurant down stairs is great, so much selection, not a typical buffet, for example you can pick your cut of meat and watch them cook that for you.

Overall a great hotel worth staying again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Avoca Beach, Australia
Reviewed 23 March 2012

This hotel ticked all the main boxes for a business hotel. Check-in was quick and courteous, parking was valet or easy self-park, well equipped gym, comfortable bed and clean room.

Location is OK but no views and it is not near the waterfront.

I dined in 'Eight' and enjoyed the meal, as did my work colleague; above average food for a hotel restaurant.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Why does it take a 5-star hotel to add the touches that, for women, are actually essential - such as proper lighting in the bathroom, and make-up mirrors? These should really be in anything from a 3-star up, for women traveling on business. Anyway, the Langham does have them and so you don't have to peer at yourself in the gloom of cheap light bulbs while you're aiming your mascara... This was my second stay recently, and I found the service even better than before, the facilities and extras all made the 5-star rating expectations. My personal preference (and I believe it's the same for many business travelers who have flown a long way) is for a firm mattress, such as those in Asian hotels - the Langham's are very soft like American beds, and I woke with a sore back. But that's me - I will ask for a firm mattress next time and see what response I get. Hairdryers are a sore point with women travelers as well, and the Langham were unfortunately just as low-wattage as the cheapest. I hope someone in the hotel industry will start taking notice of this gripe - it's nice to have pretty shampoo, but far better to be able to dry your hair quickly. Half an hour I haven't got - it would be quicker to call housekeeping and ask if someone would blow on my hair. For smokers (yes, there are some), I noticed there's a decent outside area set aside, with shelter, heating, and tables with service. Whatever others think, it's good to see visitors from places which don't share our non-smoking culture aren't forced to stand in the street. The room service was very good - the food rather special. Staff are very good - immaculate manners and efficiency, without seeming insincere. Internet access should be free, but it's not. Would stay here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: I haven't had a bad one.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank kiwijj
tlakl, General Manager at The Langham, Auckland, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
We are extremely grateful for both your comments and suggestions as this assists us immensely in knowing our guests as well as we possibly can. Thank you so much.

If you would be so kind as to contact me at your convenience, this would provide us the opportunity to update your profile to include your mattress preference and for us to gain some further insight into your thoughts around the hairdryers. Once again, we appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you.

Darren Thurlow