“Aucklands finest”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Whakatane, New Zealand
“Aucklands finest”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Having tried most of the better hotels in Auckland, the Langham has become my preferred choice. It offers genuine five star facilities and, unlike most NZ hotels, genuine five star service.
The Barolo fine dining restaurant is superb and 8 is a graet spot for breakfast. The rooms are well appointed and everything just seems to be the way it should. I have previously reviewed this hotel and commented on the peaceful elegance - I think that still sums it up.

Like other reviewers I have an issue with having to pay for in room internet service - most of the rest of the world has moved on from that and it is time the Langham did as well.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles area
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Comfortable beds, clean rooms. Location convenient to motorway. Short taxi ride to Viaduct, Parnell, Ponsoby areas. Breakfast was decent but not fabulous; concierge was pleasant but could not seem to modify recommendations to align with personal preferences. Nice wine selection in lobby area bar. Would stay again for business in area. Most locations require car or short taxi ride (or perhaps bus). Special rate via hotel website was good value.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 29 March 2012

As wonderful as the Four Seasons......the Park Suite room has a formal living room off the bedroom, beautiful mahogany furniture with brocade and velvet upholstery and down cushions. The bedroom has beautiful duvets and marble bathroom. This 5 star hotel will not disappoint you! Try the breakfast buffet.....lots of variety, the Spa is beautiful as well! Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a Park Suite room, it includes the executive lounge for drinks and breakfast on the 10th flo...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Aotearoa, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Awesome service from the service desk, to the people who answer the phones to the cleaning staff we passed in the hallways.
Beautiful, clean, upmarket hotel. Lavish, elegant and opulent. The Langham Club was a wonderful, quiet place with coffee available all day and tasty evening canapes.
This is my FAVOURITE place to stay for a nights gettaway with my sister or my husband!
MAKE SURE to try the waffles for breakfast, they are OUTSTANDING!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 28 March 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights prior to going on a 12 night cruise (which commenced in Auckland). The best hotel we have ever stayed at is the Langham in Melbourne. So without hesitation we both decided on the Langham for our stay in Auckland.

Upon arrival we were warmly greeted. The check-in process was very efficient. After we arrived to our room, our luggage was there within 5 minutes. This is very fast by most hotel standards. One of my dislikes is waiting around for luggage once I’ve arrived in my room. Unfortunately most hotels (even many of the top hotels) are very poor when it comes to getting luggage to the room in a timely manner. When I made the booking I requested a room away from the lifts and a room overlooking the City. I was told that this would be fine and I had this confirmed in an e-mail. I did get a room away from the lifts but unfortunately didn’t get a room overlooking the CBD. I also booked a Club Room. I was of the understanding that the Club Rooms were located on 10th floor, but we were given a room on 9th floor.

The room was small, particularly for a 5 star hotel. Also some of the furnishings appeared to be worn and out dated. For example there was a large, old style chair in the room. This chair was worn with frayed edges. We didn’t use this chair and I don’t think too many people staying in a hotel room would use this chair either. The chair seemed to be more for display purposes in order to fit in with the hotels classic, elegant and grand theme. In my opinion the hotel would be better off removing such a tattered piece of furniture from the room. Also it would free up some space.

The sleep quality was excellent. The bed was extremely comfortable. The sheets were clean, crisp and bright white. The towels were of the highest quality and there were top quality amenities provided in the bathroom. Slippers and nice thick bath robes were also provided.

The housekeeping was nothing short of first class. On a couple of occasions after we had breakfast and returned to our room we bumped into the housekeeper, Louise. She was the best housekeeper you could ever imagine. Her attention to detail was outstanding and she went the extra mile when attending to the room. She was always happy, friendly and cheerful. She was an amazing lady and if the other housekeepers are just half as good as Louise, then the Langham Auckland is in good hands.

Staying in a club room meant that we had access to the club lounge. To me the club lounge is like an oasis. When you have been out for the day and arrive back to the hotel, you know that you have something to look forward to. The afternoon tea comprises of a good variety and good quality food. There are also drinks available. In addition to the food, the 10th floor club lounge is a quiet, relaxing place. In the morning there is a buffet breakfast in the lounge, but because we had the more extensive buffet breakfast in Restaurant Eight in our package, we didn’t eat breakfast in the club lounge. If you are hungry throughout the day there is delicious ice-cream, yoghurt and fruit available, along with bottled water, tea and coffee just to mention a few.

As I previously mentioned we had the buffet breakfast at Restaurant Eight. This is one of the best breakfasts that you will experience. We also had dinner in Restaurant Eight on the night we arrived. It was the best dinner my wife and I had ever had. So we decided to have dinner there again two nights later. Again, it was outstanding. If I lived in, or anywhere near Auckland I would regularly have dinner at Restaurant Eight. In addition to the food, all the staff we encountered in Restaurant Eight were so wonderful, especially Lani. Lani seemed to always be working at Restaurant Eight whenever we ate there. She always made us feel welcome and made our experience at the restaurant even better. On our last morning after breakfast we said goodbye to Lani and she was genuinely sad that we were leaving.

I did use the hotel gym once. It was one of the better hotel gyms I have come across. There was also a heated outdoor pool that looked very inviting. Unfortunately, we were unable to find time during our stay to have a swim.

The location of the hotel is a bit of a walk from the main part of the CBD. In fact, when walking back from the CBD to the hotel, there is a steep uphill climb. However, the hotel does offer a complimentary shuttle bus service to its guests. From memory it runs every 30 minutes. So with the shuttle bus service the location of the hotel is not a problem. In fact I found the location of the hotel to be excellent. The nearby “K” Road was a very interesting area. We also walked to the top of the Mt Eden volcano, which wasn’t far from the hotel. Also we caught the Airbus Express (blue bus) from the airport to the hotel. It cost $16 per person which seemed to be a lot cheaper than other transport options. It leaves the airport every 10 minutes and its first stop in the CBD is none other than the Langham Hotel.

Despite the negatives I have mentioned, both my wife and I loved this hotel. All the staff we encountered were wonderful; especially Louise and Lani. We were sad to leave and next time we come to Auckland, we will stay at The Langham Hotel.

Room Tip: I recommend a Club Room.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lovers1996
Paihia, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Again a pleasant stay at this first class hotel. Staff is friendly and helpful, there is no waiting in the reception aerea, but someone will approach you immediately and help you or speed up your check in. Rooms are nice, we got an upgrade again, and it is just a "feeling well" athmosphere there. Toiletteries are from the Chuan Spa, very nice looking, and breakfast is superb. The price, too, but you get what you pay, and even a bit more,.....

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 March 2012 via mobile

The breakfast was amazing and the rooms were incredible. Excellent time

Stayed January 2012