“Had everything i needed” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Langham, Auckland
Ranked #5 of 68 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Uga, Spain
“Had everything i needed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2012

This hotel gave me an upgrade which was nice but that’s not the only reason I gave it 5 stars. Re:
Staff - very service orientated
Breakfast buffet has some great standout treats
Restaurant chairs comfortable
Smoking area outside hotel
Bar – has all the cocktails you would like
Beds – king size, soft and comfortable with lots of pillows
Sleep quality – great no noise from outside
Aircon - as cold as you like
Bathroom amenities - luxury sets
Main bedroom area – large enough to relax in comfort
Furniture – old English style, luxury feel
Steam iron
Bathrobes and slippers
TV – good selection of English channels
Internet – free wifi in package
Business centre – free internet and printing for all
4 elevators – no waiting for cars
Location close to nearby restaurants and banking
Taxis waiting at the door if you need them
Free newspapers

Very happy with the stay here, wouldn’t hesitate to go back again.

Room Tip: Buy a package to include breakfast - its worth it
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank whitepointer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (614)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney,Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2012

I want to love this place, from many perspectives it is a fantastic hotel and I stay here regularly. However despite having voyager status (top loyalty tier except for an uber secret level that is by invitation only) I have never even had an upgrade mentioned at check in, so is this incredibly unlucky or are they just stingy?? - the latter I am sorry to report.With voyager status an upgrade is an identified benefit subject to availability.This benefit is published without any caveat like some hotel loyalty programs that state they don't upgrade to suites or club rooms etc.

There are 4 levels of rooms called from the basic up - classic, executive ,Langham club and suites.Now this is a 10 storey hotel that looks across various roads or other buildings, nothing special to be seen from any room and certainly no iconic views.

So I usually book a club room ( because of the excellent club lounge) and last time I stayed I was curious why in all my visits the mention of an upgrade never crossed the checkin agents lips, even if just to apologise that nothing was available.So I asked and was told quite plausibly that there are a very limited number of suites to upgrade to from the club level.Fair enough.

So this weekend I am back and I thought I would set an "upgrade test" by booking a deluxe room which would mean a room on level 5 or 6.I arrive at 1 am - welcome back Mrs so and so, and he says I am upgraded to the club floor - level 9. I am momentarily pleased , only to be told that this is a club floor room but there is no club lounge access. Not pleased I express my dissatisfaction with this scam, what he meant to say is they put me on a higher floor. Back peddling at a million miles an hour things with the checkin agent get a little heated, a higher floor looking over a side street - seriously people this is NOT an upgrade.

So after profuse apologies the duty manager makes no promises but says he will see if he can get me access to the club lounge, and to his credit he does , but it was something they clearly DO NOT OFFER as an upgrade.

Ok - now I know what is realistic and have lowered my expectations accordingly.Not a great way to build loyalty in my opinion , and personally would prefer they were honest and didn't offer ambiguous benefits that are overstated.

PS I have had positive upgrade experiences in other Langhams so I think the Auckland Langham is probably a one off for dubious access to upgrades.

Room Tip: Club lounge access is worthwhile if you have the luxury of time to enjoy the benefits.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hamilton NZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2012

Stayed for a weekend and this is the BEST hotel in NZ by far! Rooms are lovely, beds are fantastic, breakfast is AMAZING. Lovely bar area, liked the biscotti given with the coffee. Nice touch. Bit of a walk into town, quite a big hill but thought we needed it after a big dinner and a few drinks in town.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2012

Stayed at this hotel for one night at the beginning of October. It doesn't look much from the outside but as soon as you enter the lobby it is beautiful. The decor had a classic feel to it which I liked as not too keen on ultra modern places.
The reception staff were polite and friendly, as were all other members of staff that I spoke to.
Great facilities in the room and in the hotel itself.
Didn't eat in any of the restaurants but the room service food was brilliant, don't have anything bad to say about that!
The location is pretty good too, only a few minutes walk from Queen street.
Would definitely stay again and highly recommend to others!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Arlington, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

Like all the other reviews we found the hotel standard very good.Nice quality to the room fittings and nice restaurant.
Staff are all very good and the rooms are quiet.
It really is an overall beautiful hotel and should stay at the top of the ratings here.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012 via mobile

Just check led out from my one night's stay at this beautiful hotel. As I walked through the glass sliding doors I was greeted by a guest service agent that warmly welcomed me to my hotel, as promptly guided me to a smiling receptionist who checked me in. After receiving my pink room key I entered the elevator to the 4th floor, walked down a short corridor an opened my impressive room. It was just an entry level standard room but boy was it tastefully decorated in a 'classic' style. Pink everywhere - obviously the colour of Langham hotels, and everything and anything you could have wanted was in the room, from bathrobes and slippers, to their spa-branded toilet amenities. The bed would have to have been the best I have ever slept on - oversize King
with a thick, soft duvet, and perfect, plump pillows!
After looking around the room I went to the spa/pool/fitness centre and it was absolutely beautiful - and had a lovely smell of aromatherapy wafting throughout. I had a swim in the heated pool, waded in the large spa (jets not working), and then spent some time in the sauna and herbal steam room - very relaxing indeed.
Needless to say I slept like a log - I think I needed it!
Checkout the next day was a breeze.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
tlakl, General Manager at The Langham, Auckland, responded to this review, 4 November 2012
Thank you for your positive feedback about your stay in our Classic Room. We aim to provide every little luxury our guests will need on their travels! Good to hear that one of our Langham Service Stylists (who all wear our Langham Pink) gave you a warm welcome. It helps to make our hotel a real home away from home. The pool and herbal steam room are a firm favourite with our guests and a great way to relax after a busy day’s sightseeing. We hope you will be able to enjoy them again soon.
Kind regards
Darren Thurlow, Hotel Manager
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012

This hotel is outstanding, the rooms are amazing, service was unbelievable and the restuarant eight is to die for. Would recommned this hotel to any and everyone. As soon as we turned up we were greeted and car taken for valet which was perfect, front staff were also great. Close to everything so that was a bonus as well.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple