Wow. My husband and I stayed at the Langham Auckland for one night in October as we were wrapping up our time in New Zealand. I chose the Langham Auckland because I had stayed at the Langham in Melbourne the month prior and found it to be a very nice, luxurious hotel (though the incidental costs for things like internet and breakfast were ridiculous). Unfortunately, since we changed plans on short notice, I was unable to get my travel agent to book me into the Langham and instead just booked via an online booking website.
Maybe the problem was that I booked last minute. Or maybe the problem was that I booked through an online booking website and not my amazing travel agent. Or maybe the problem was that the Langham Auckland is just really, really, old. But the room I got was NOT a $300 a night room. It had a small, old bathroom with a shower that made a huge mess everywhere (despite the shower curtain); the bathroom door knob was gold on one side and silver on the other (see picture); the furniture was all beat up and scraped and generally run down; the artwork in the room looked totally cheap. All of these things wouldn't have bothered me if I was paying $120 a night and staying at a hotel that wasn't billing itself as a luxury hotel, but I wasn't and the Langham does and it just doesn't come close to living up to it's billing.
I'd said in my review on the Langham Melbourne that I might not return to another Langham property because of the internet and breakfast fees being high, but after seeing what their "luxury" brand is like at other hotels, I'm certainly not staying there again.
(One side note: the staff were friendly and generally very helpful, but unfortunately that doesn't do enough to make up for the feeling of being ripped-off terribly for a room that wasn't worth even half of what was charged.)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our 5-star luxury Auckland hotel in Auckland's CBD offers: 409 rooms and suites* Dining at Eight restaurant and Palm Court* 24hr business centre* Free Wifi* Spacious meeting & banqueting facilities* Central CBD location* Luxury sedans available for airport transfers & sightseeing* Complimentary inner city shuttle service to waterfront* 24hr room service* Chuan Spa luxury Day Spa* 24hr fitness centre* Heated outdoor pool plus sauna and Jacuzzi* Walking to distance to Auckland city attractions including museum, art gallery, shops and restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo, Ctrip TA, Ebookers, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your The Langham, Auckland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Langham Auckland Hotel Auckland Central
- Langham Hotel Auckland
- The Langham Hotel Auckland
- The Langham, Auckland New Zealand