“Worst Check In of my Life”
Review of Cordis, Auckland

Cordis, Auckland
Ranked #5 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Waited over 2 and a half hours for my room....in the afternoon! Arrived at the hotel at 2pm (normal Standard Check in time for ANY hotel) after an early and exhausting international flight to New Zealand. We were a group of 20 people who were hosting an event at the Langham that evening. So we were VERY eager to refresh in our rooms before our guests started arriving at 4:30pm. On arrival at 2pm we were told our rooms would only be ready at 3pm. Fair enough, we could wait around as all of us working in the 5* Hotel industry and could understand the situation of checking in a group. After 3pm we again enquired about our rooms, and only then were we told the actual reason for our late check in, they had a late check out of a Emirates Flight Crew. So finally the truth was out, this flight crew was obviously MUCH more of importance than our small little group. But still NO excuse that we had to wait until 4:30 pm to Finally check into our rooms. Making us late to our Own function hosted at the Langham.
Flight Crews on average take up 30 rooms... this is a 200 room hotel! HOW they could not manage our group is simply inexcusable for a 5* hotel.
And the worst part?
After finally seeing the hotel manager and explaining the urgency of our situation, he was less than accommodating and simply did not express the empathy a 5* Hotel Manager is supposed to give his guests when they have been waiting over 2 hours for their rooms, AND had paid to host their function at your hotel. There were a Hundred ways of better handling this situation, and the Langham simply did not deliver.
Which is a shame as the rooms are gorgeous - I had the BEST sleep of my entire 2 week trip in this hotel bed. Such a pity the bed was the only best part of the Langham.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 3rd floor and not TOO far from the elavators - else you end up walking miles d...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank MonicaVW
tlakl, General Manager at Cordis, Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Thank you for your feedback and again, our apologies for the day in question. We do understand that delays can be frustrating for our guests. Since we fully appreciate that our guests are often tired from travelling, and as our official check-in time is 3pm, we were happy to provide a complimentary suite and spa for your party to change in.
Kind regards
Darren Thurlow, Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,454)

Reviewed 3 December 2013

This is my first visit at this hotel. I travel frequently and stay at 4 or 5 star hotels. This is by far one of the best hotel experiences I have had in terms of room cleanliness and staff friendliness.I really like the hotel decor and environment. Overall, very good experience. Well done, will love to stay here again for my next visit.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This was our 2nd stay as the first visit had been impressive. The staff are exceptional, the rooms spacious and pristine. The beds are top quality - think of sleeping on a cloud. We enjoyed the pool and other amenities. The meal at the restaurant was delicious and menu options made a 2nd visit inevitable. Show venue was within walking distance which was ideal. We will return to the Langham next time we are in Auckland

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Stayed here in October 2013, had a good room, a great nights sleep. The service was fantastic, even the drive the Langham provided to get to the airport was awesome. When I forgot my CC, he had no hesitation returning to retrieve it prior to my flight.

The restaurant down stairs was fantastic, expensive, but awesome food.

I will stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

I often visit this hotel for a getaway weekend despite living less than 4 km away. I know there are much grander, more opulent hotels in the world but on my budget this hotel offers me fantastic service and a wonderful experience every time . I can't rate the staff more highly. From the great friendly doorman/woman to the staff cleaning the rooms everyone is smiling and attentive. Love this place

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2013

My two girls shouted me a trip to Auckland for shopping and food for my 60th b'day. We stayed at the Lngham and it was a beautiful experience. There is a spa and just everything thaat you could possibly need. Just wonderful.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 November 2013

My experience began at the airport in Auckland after arriving several hours late off a delayed flight from Brisbane. I was concerned that the hotel may not have their car waiting but all of that vanished as I was met by the most delightful lady who whisked me to the hotel in comfort and style along with some fantastic local knowledge and help with an ATM at 3am. I was greeted warmly and quickly checked in to my room where I found fresh fruit and bottled water, a needed amenity after a lousy flight experience. The hotel is modeled on different era so do not expect modern glam. The décor is traditional but warm, and the feeling one gets is of comfort and ease. The next morning I ate on the club level which was really good and I loved the privacy and quality of the experience. Service throughout was impeccable, and I was even able to purchase gifts at the well stocked store, after hours, which were delivered beautifully wrapped for travel the next day. My trip ended with the same great car service to the airport with the same best chauffer on the planet...no jokes on this one. So many hotels do not manage their goodbyes as well as their hellos but you do both superbly. Please thank your team.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business