“Just the way to recover from a long flight!” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Langham, Auckland
Ranked #5 of 68 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Finchampstead
“Just the way to recover from a long flight!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

Knowing we had a long flight from the UK, we decided to book a couple of nights in the Langham to recover. It was an excellent decision. The beds are deliciously comfortable, the room was elegant and well furnished and we enjoyed the little extras like the robes and slippers. The spa and the roof top swimming pool topped off our enjoyment of this hotel. The valet parking charge is high but when we arrived in the small hours, the staff matched the price of the self park garage behind the hotel, which was a nice touch.
The hotel is slightly away from downtown but this is not a disadvantage.
We would not hesitate to use this hotel again.

Room Tip: The views from the hotel are not its strong point but who spends their time looking out of the windo...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (614)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Taupo, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

I've been staying at this hotel, on and off, since the Sheraton days. Back then, I was a Starwood Preferred Guest platinum member, and generous upgrades were easy to come by. After the rebranding, perhaps a little less so under the 1865 programme, especially in the last few months. There's also some nickel-and-diming creeping in. A $10 tray charge for room service? I'm not above strolling down the road to grab a burger or kebab :)

That having been said, and since I've only just gotten into writing reviews, this one is really a summary of all my stays over the years, as they've been consistently good. If I'm asked for an Auckland hotel recommendation, the Langham is it. Comfy beds, brilliant club lounge, attentive service, and decent specials to be had regularly on the hotel's website.

As others have mentioned, the location at the top of Symonds St is a wee way from the action of Skycity and the Viaduct, but within walking distance for someone of average fitness. The hotel offers a complimentary hourly shuttle to the far end of Queen St, which I recommend for at least the return (uphill) journey on a hot day, especially after a shopping excursion! Ask the concierge for a timetable.

If you're into pools, the Langham's is just fine. It's situated outdoors, and has been refurbished as part of the Chuan Spa complex. There's also a nice jacuzzi, plus a steam room and sauna in the changing area. Check out the snail shower - I want one of those!

If there's one thing I'd like to see improve, it's the air conditioning in the rooms. It just doesn't blow cold enough. I realise this can be a hugely expensive exercise, but whatever you did in the club lounge during the renovations, it's fantastic. Too cold, even :) Also, how about some in-room automation/iGadgets at the next overhaul? You're at the end of the market where this is starting to be expected, and it would be great to see.

Anyway, 5/5 for now. Please keep it up, and I'll keep visiting when I can.

Room Tip: Check the hotel's website for special offers, which change regularly. A current one involves bo...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Belgrade, Serbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

Don't get me wrong this is a nice hotel, but the location is not great, and I was disappointed to find that my king size bed was really just two twins pushed together. The spa was also not as impressive as I wanted it to be, the hot stone massage was lovely, but the pedicure was more just changing my nail paint than a true pedicure, so somewhat disappointing.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Lafayette, La.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

I used the airport car pickup and when we arrived the day manager greeted me personally, brought our bags and showed us around including offering to sign us up for the 1865 club giving us free wi-fi for the three nights. She was so personable I thought she must have thought we were important! Everyday I saw her was similar and we found all of the service, quality of the room, bar and restaurant to be excellent.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lftbush
Lyttelton, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

We first stayed at The Langham in November this year, for two
nights. On arrival I immediately knew that I had made a good choice. The reception staff were very welcoming and pleasant and had the balance of friendliness, mixed with professionalism just right. The offer to take our bags to our room was declined – we only had two small 'flight bags'.

The room we had was large and had the most comfortable King bed I have ever slept in. The pillows were perfect and the linen crisp and fresh. A fridge contained a mini bar and fresh milk. The room had a large writing desk; large flat screen TV; comfortable chairs, two bedside lights; ample storage space; excellent lighting and air-conditioning.

The bathroom was spotless with a very good shower over the bath and an de-misting mirror and an ample supply of fresh bath, face and hand towels.

At night, a lovely touch was the complimentary spring water and chocolate on the pillow.

Our deal included a full buffet breakfast with an incredible selection to choose from: the usual favourites and fresh fruit, cheeses and yoghurts.

Nothing in this hotel is too much trouble and the staff are attentive without being intrusive. It's apparent that all staff undergo extensive customer care training and without exception are friendly, helpful and very pleasant.

This was my first stay at The Langham and I did worry that I might not be 'rich or famous' enough to stay there. I was SO wrong and I felt totally at ease. Me as the customer was the staff's first concern, regardless of the 'level' of room one was in.

I have just visited Auckland again this month, December 2013 and after one horrendous night at another establishment, I hurriedly went on line and booked my remaining two nights at The Langham.

This time, the deal didn't unfortunately include breakfast so I took the opportunity to dine out.

The Langham has an Airport Express bus stop very near (ideal for traveling from and to the airport) and other bus routes pass outside. Taxis are available too of course.

I have decided that next time I visit Auckland I won't bother to look for anywhere else to stay, I'll simply stay there again. I'm not sure if they have a 'frequent stayer' card, but I'll stay anyway.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChrizBee59
tlakl, General Manager at The Langham, Auckland, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Thank you for your warm words and we are delighted to hear that you enjoy staying with us. It’s always our pleasure to ensure every guest feels welcome and at ease when they make The Langham their home away from home. You are correct, we do have staff training programmes in place and this a vital part of our commitment to providing exceptional service for our guests. We also offer a loyalty programme which you can find on our website under the 1865 tab (https://1865.langhamhotels.com/) or you can ask to be enrolled when you next check in. It offers some great benefits for our frequent stayers including express check-in/out and complimentary internet. We shall look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Kind regards
Darren Thurlow, Hotel Manager
Dunedin, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Just spent the night at Stamford Plaza Auckland. Valet parking $20. Very reasonable. Came to the Langham to meet friends for breakfast. $40 valet parking on the forecourt for an hour. Certainly won't be back to either stay or visit. Totally out of proportion.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Brucesrobinson
USA-OHIO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

My only reason for not giving it an excellent rating is that it is far from the harbor area. It felt like we were away from the center of things. Staff was great as were the rooms. Wonderful amenities and beautiful lobby with afternoon tea served in the midst.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends