“Old World Character, Charm and Elegance”

The Langham, Auckland
Ranked #6 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Langham hotels are very upscale hotels with loads of character and charm. We enjoyed our stay. The service was very good, but they seemed to be understaffed. Nicely located and walkable. Stayed at the Langham as a pre-cruise hotel and it was overall a good experience including direct transfers of our luggage from the hotel to the cruise ship.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 February 2014

The Langham is a very comfortable five star hotel in Auckland. We used the hotel to recover from the flights from DC and chose the club lounge option. Although the hotel was full when we arrived early (10.30) they managed to check us in and also upgraded us to a two room suite by 12 o clock. We spent the down time in the spa with a welcome shower for me and an excellent massage for met wife. The bed was super comply although the room on the third floor was a little dark at times. There was plenty of space for clothes and the hotel service was of a consistently high standard. Everything we asked for we got quickly and efficiently.

Being on the third floor we only used the club lounge for breakfast. Although described as continental there was a hot breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, tomatoes and potato available daily with a good assortment of breads, ham cheese and pastries. It was also nice to be ion the 10th floor which has much more light. We eat at the restaurant and the lobby and both times the meals were good although a little on the expensive side.

This is borderline four/ five for me taking into account the cost of the hotel and the fact that some of the rooms may need a bit of a updating to make them a little brighter. But absolutely no question about the quality of the service provided. Very good indeed.

Room Tip: I think the club rooms on the higher floors may be a little brighter and more modern
Reviewed 27 February 2014

The hotel entrance and lobby is very beautiful but the rooms are dated and have issues. For instance the room temperature controls do not work and the fixtures are ancient. The drains are slow and clogged. Every noise from outside is crystal clear. Not cool! We stay in many hotels, in many countries, and this one does not live up to the billing.

Sorry Langham

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
tlakl, General Manager at The Langham, Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Thank you for your feedback about your Classic Room. Our apologies that the temperature controls didn’t work - we do regularly maintain and service all our rooms. We are happy for guests to report incidents like this to the Duty Manager or front office staff, so we can arrange for repairs (where possible, we can sometimes accommodate a move of room). We also suggest that guests who prefer a quieter room opt for our Executive and Club rooms, which have hush glass for extra quiet.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Outstanding service, pristine rooms and one of the best swimming pools I've ever had the pleasure of swimming and soaking in. Thank you to the The Langham Staff. Plus the sushi was out of this world. Certainly the best I've ever tasted.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I love the Langham Auckland. This visit was my birthday and my husband and I experienced the Tiffin Afternoon High Tea. We had the best two hour, No mobile signal experience. The food was amazing. The sense of escaping the hustle and bustle was an unexpected but pleasant surprise. The bedding is so comfortable, we almost didn't leave the room for dinner. My best experience I have to mention the high service that was arranged by F & B Manager Anastasia Varlamova. Who ensured our stay from check in to check out went without a clitch and had me feel like we were given the VIP treatment. Our High Tea Booking had been communicated at the Front Office and this was mentioned on arrival. A table was reserved for us at the High Tea and due to a cancellation at Christmas, I asked Anastasia to hold our refund as a Gift card for me as I didn't want this lost in the post. My 'Special Package' was delivered to us, without me having to feel awkward asking about it. That is great service and for her efforts alone sets the high standard of service that gives me confidence to rate this Hotel full marks for service. My less scoring is aimed towards the value and is based on the Room only rate. We did not have the same view as we did from our previous stay and paid less through another online website at that time. And although the bedding is first class, I have stayed at less rating Hotels with a nicer view and better decor. However, looking forward to staying again SOON ;-)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your warm words and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your birthday stay with us. We genuinely enjoy making our hotel a special haven for our guests to relax in. Our new Tiffin Afternoon Tea at Palm Court really is a treat, and we agree it’s the perfect way to celebrate. Thank you too for your positive feedback about Anastasia and we have passed this on to her. We shall look forward to welcoming you soon!

Reviewed 26 February 2014

A hotel really is a home away from home for those who travel quite a bit. Although you would like all the comforts of home, at a minimum you expect to be well taken care of. Langham Auckland far exceeds anyone's expectation of customer service. Their attentiveness to detail and willingness to listen and take care of your needs is outstanding. I have been staying there for the last 3 years on my trips to New Zealand and I wish I would have known sooner about how much I really like the hotel. If you stay in Auckland make sure to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

We are pleased to hear that our hotel is a home away from home for you. It’s our aim to make every guest feel welcome and relaxed and it’s a pleasure to take care of our guests’ needs so they can enjoy their visit. It’s always good to hear from our regulars and we do hope you have joined our 1865 programme (free to join). It has some great additional benefits for our frequent stayers, including late check-out and an express check-in/out service. We shall look forward to seeing you next time.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

It wasn't a good start - two concierges managed to studiously ignore us and avoid helping us unload our luggage from our car on arrival. Check-in was merely efficient but at least in was quick. Our standard room was spacious if rather dated in appearance, much like the rest of the hotel. The bed proved to be the hotel's best asset - it was blissfully comfortable which we both liked enormously and provided a good nights sleep - albeit after we'd turned off the fridge which was very noisy. We eat a light dinner in the bar - again the service was efficient but my food was a disaster. One mouthful was enough to confirm, mine was stone cold. It was whisked away quickly and a replacement arrived soon afterwards but the 2nd attempt was now merely luke warm. By now I was hungry enough to eat it anyway without further comment. How hard can it be to provide hot food on a hot plate? Clearly it's beyond this kitchen's ability because I had to ask for a hot plate at breakfast the following morning. At least the scrambled egg was tasty and hot but whoever cooked the crispy bacon needs lessons! Check out was also efficient - our car was ready outside within moments - and the one of the porters offered help with our luggage. Overall a mixed result and one I'd accept as okay if it wasn't a Langham Hotel because the comfortable bed in a quiet room goes a long way in redeeming it but as a Langham it fails badly. Whoever manages this one needs to spend some time at a Langham in Hong Kong to find out how it should really be done. Lastly whoever thinks this is a 5 star hotel should get out more. It's not even remotely close.