Frankly, Langham Ackland doesn't reach the lofty hights of that in my home town of Melbourne where Langham bounces betrween #1 and #2 on Tripadvisor. I love the place and would recommend it to anyone.
Langham Auckland on the other hand offers a different feel. My wife and I booked in for 10 nights at an amazing rate. I came across a deal some 8 months prior to the planned trip and the price was so good I simply couldn't pass it up. And I have to say I am glad I didn't.
On arrival two things happened:
1) I asked the porter if I could leave my hire car in the driveway for only a few minutes to complete the booking in procedure. He suggested I consider the Valet parking offer to which I replied that as it was NZ $40 per night, I decided to look around to find a local car park offering a 10 night package for just under $15 per night - I couldn't pass that up. He immediately suggested that if he was able to secure a price of $20 per day via his boss, would I consider it. The answer was yes. This said, we now had to get out of having already paid for the other car park - a bit of a nightmare I have to say. We finally managed it, while having to utilise the foreign park for the first 2 nights. Having forgotten how hilly Auckland can be, it was a rude surprise to find the car park although only 250 metres away, the walk was particularly taxing, and it was an open air car park. Langham honoured their commitment and the Valet service was simply sensational.
2) When checking in the reservations person advised that as we were staying 10 nights they had given us a complementary room upgrade. You can't get better than that!
The overall feeling provided by the foyer and surrounds of the Langham is of a high standard, hence it was not unexpected to see the driveway frequented by Ferrari, Lamborghini and Aston Martin cars.
We had a room on the 5th floor and I have to admit I was a little disappointed at how old it felt. Grandiose in its day no doubt, however it is definitely showing its age. For example, whilst there the bathroom door handle became loose, the shower mechanism failed and the safe batteries started to fail. But who cares when the response from the staff was simply incredible. Immediate and effective.
The bed and linen was, as in typical Langham fashion, top class. The texture of the fittings, and the general feel was one of quality - if a little old.
However it was the staff that really made the Langham. They were simply fantastic, from the porters to the concierge, the telephone staff, front desk et al. Brilliant. One example was how housekeeping had inadvertently forgotten to replace some of the toiletries. Well, one call was all it took and within 3-4 minutes there was a knock at the door and an attendant - I kid you not - with hands full of soaps, conditioner and shampoo - enough for probably a week. Langham takes their service seriously!
The Palm Court wine bar is sensational, Langham offer their own bespoke beer (the Honey Dew was interesting, however we won't have it again!), the Great Room - well, great.
Anyway, the reason for my title is that it was really only once we had left the Langham and stayed at another 3 facilities over the following week that I realised just how lovely the experience had been.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our 5-star luxury Auckland hotel in Auckland's CBD offers: 409 rooms and suites* Dining at Eight restaurant and Palm Court* 24hr business centre* Free Wifi* Spacious meeting & banqueting facilities* Central CBD location* Luxury sedans available for airport transfers & sightseeing* Complimentary inner city shuttle service to waterfront* 24hr room service* Chuan Spa luxury Day Spa* 24hr fitness centre* Heated outdoor pool plus sauna and Jacuzzi* Walking to distance to Auckland city attractions including museum, art gallery, shops and restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Priceline, Odigeo, Agoda, Hotels.com, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Langham, Auckland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Langham Auckland Hotel Auckland Central
- Langham Hotel Auckland
- The Langham Hotel Auckland
- The Langham, Auckland New Zealand