“Sometimes you don't know what you've got till it's gone.”

The Langham, Auckland
Ranked #5 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne
“Sometimes you don't know what you've got till it's gone.”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Frankly, Langham Ackland doesn't reach the lofty hights of that in my home town of Melbourne where Langham bounces betrween #1 and #2 on Tripadvisor. I love the place and would recommend it to anyone.

Langham Auckland on the other hand offers a different feel. My wife and I booked in for 10 nights at an amazing rate. I came across a deal some 8 months prior to the planned trip and the price was so good I simply couldn't pass it up. And I have to say I am glad I didn't.

On arrival two things happened:

1) I asked the porter if I could leave my hire car in the driveway for only a few minutes to complete the booking in procedure. He suggested I consider the Valet parking offer to which I replied that as it was NZ $40 per night, I decided to look around to find a local car park offering a 10 night package for just under $15 per night - I couldn't pass that up. He immediately suggested that if he was able to secure a price of $20 per day via his boss, would I consider it. The answer was yes. This said, we now had to get out of having already paid for the other car park - a bit of a nightmare I have to say. We finally managed it, while having to utilise the foreign park for the first 2 nights. Having forgotten how hilly Auckland can be, it was a rude surprise to find the car park although only 250 metres away, the walk was particularly taxing, and it was an open air car park. Langham honoured their commitment and the Valet service was simply sensational.
2) When checking in the reservations person advised that as we were staying 10 nights they had given us a complementary room upgrade. You can't get better than that!

The overall feeling provided by the foyer and surrounds of the Langham is of a high standard, hence it was not unexpected to see the driveway frequented by Ferrari, Lamborghini and Aston Martin cars.

We had a room on the 5th floor and I have to admit I was a little disappointed at how old it felt. Grandiose in its day no doubt, however it is definitely showing its age. For example, whilst there the bathroom door handle became loose, the shower mechanism failed and the safe batteries started to fail. But who cares when the response from the staff was simply incredible. Immediate and effective.

The bed and linen was, as in typical Langham fashion, top class. The texture of the fittings, and the general feel was one of quality - if a little old.

However it was the staff that really made the Langham. They were simply fantastic, from the porters to the concierge, the telephone staff, front desk et al. Brilliant. One example was how housekeeping had inadvertently forgotten to replace some of the toiletries. Well, one call was all it took and within 3-4 minutes there was a knock at the door and an attendant - I kid you not - with hands full of soaps, conditioner and shampoo - enough for probably a week. Langham takes their service seriously!

The Palm Court wine bar is sensational, Langham offer their own bespoke beer (the Honey Dew was interesting, however we won't have it again!), the Great Room - well, great.

Anyway, the reason for my title is that it was really only once we had left the Langham and stayed at another 3 facilities over the following week that I realised just how lovely the experience had been.

Room Tip: As we found out, if you are searching for a better deal and have reason to expect it, ask the questi...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This was my 2nd stay at the Langham in Auckland in the last year. The first stay was excellent and this stay was even better. The staff are 5-Star professional, efficient and friendly. They are genuine and welcoming.

The rooms are spacious and well designed. Comfortable bed, clean, fresh. The bathrooms are large and have all the needed amenities and while a little older wear their age well.

The breakfast buffet was also a nice touch with a large selection of multinational foods that were hot and fresh. The only puzzling thing was the 10 minutes it took to get a coffee delivered to the table. The coffee is made fresh and not poured but still the delay was a little longer than expected but small detail.

The hotel is located 2 minute walk from Queen Street so easy to access the many shops and restaurants. Nice 30 minute walk to the harbor and if you don't feel like a little hill climb grab a taxi back to the hotel as it is a bit up hill from the harbor.

I don't know if standard with every room but free WiFi was a welcomed as other hotels in the area charge up to $25 AUD per device (3 free devices at the Langham).

I will return (again) during my next stays and nice to have such a great property at a great value.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Gorgeous hotel, food, spa, banquet hall. We stayed here for my wedding night and also had my wedding reception in the Great Room. Absolutely gorgeous! The food was amazing and it was so nice getting a massage at the chuan spa also. Love this place!

One suggestion to management though, if we're having a wedding reception here, at least offer a free massage treatment to the newlyweds, as a thank you for using the hotel, or even a free room or something to make us feel that you value our business.

But yes, cannot fault it. The langham is fantastic.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2014

My first time here but I have stayed in many of the other top-end hotels in Ausckland.
I have to say I was impressed.
very friendly and accommodating staff and the Manager was very good at helping us with a minor issue with access to the cocktail bar in the late evening.
I have to say that I have travelled a lot and the Buffet lunch is up there with the best I have experienced anywhere in the world. There are 7 area's which each highlight a cuisine from a different country. Simply stunning.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This hotel enjoys a wonderful reputation, and deservedly so. It was my great pleasure to have 2 separate 1 x night stays in May, and on both occasions I was thoroughly impressed by the professional service levels in all departments.

Staff manage to actually engage with guests rather than simply read from the script or offer the all-too-common manufactured smiles and irritatingly patronising pat responses.

Nevertheless, in the five star category it takes real effort to stand out from the crowd with so much competition, and so many departments effecting the final customer experience, and ultimately the devil is in the details.

Details like:
1.The "welcome back" greeting on just my second ever visit and excellent front office service to speed thru' check in

2.The F&B quality for in-room dining (often a neglected area of service where choice is limited and so is quality). The Langham was right up there with presentation and quality. This was particularly appreciated when I arrived feeling very unwell on first visit, and had a chicken broth and sandwich which was just what the doctor ordered. Suddenly all was right with the world.

3.The eclectic but intriguing mix of dishes offered at the dinner buffet service in the restaurant. I enjoyed probably the best sashimi outside Tokyo, and was able to graze a number of small but perfect plates from each station. And service levels were maintained in both the a la Carte and buffet guest tables with seamless efficiency.

4.Breakfast again provided a lovely selection, and the small but special touch showing through once more with the fresh marshmallow on the saucer with the hot chocolate. Yummy!

5.An unsolicited room upgrade on my second stay which was a delightful surprise and very much appreciated.

6.Room service trays for light meals are bed trays...so good for a real breakfast in bed!

This Langham offers old hospitality for those of us how appreciate the difference between flash and quality.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
tlakl, General Manager at The Langham, Auckland, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you for your warm words and we are delighted that our staff made you so welcome and that you experienced such genuine hospitality. Good to hear that enjoyed the Inroom Dining experience. We have a focus on providing fresh quality options, so that our guests can enjoy a delicious meal at any time of the day. We shall hope to see you back again soon.
Kind regards
Darren Thurlow, Hotel Manager
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Love the Langham! Everything from the service, the room, food and the spa was 5 star worthy! Location is great and the shuttle running every half hour down town was a bonus. Definately our first choice of stay in Auckland.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Normally, I have a cardinal sin when it comes to a Hotel, missing a wake-up call. I arrived super late, filled out the preference card, had a 08:00 wake up call, as I was being picked up at 09:00. I awake to see that it's 08:40. So, instead of a breakfast and coffee, I had a mad dash to get ready. Not a great start, however, upon directing it to their attention, they made amends, sincere apologies and a free breakfast soothed my ruffled feathers. The bed, is super comfy, while I'm not a huge fan of duvets, even that couldn't distract from the bed. The bar staff is excellent, Laphroaig is on stock, a nice way to end an evening, and the buffet, well I did a separate review of it, as buffet doesn't seem like the right word for such a feast. Overall, staff was great, room was spotless, and it was a great stay.

Room Tip: They had Justin Beiber stay there, the throngs of screaming teens must have been a nightmare. May wa...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business