We were really excited about staying at The Langham - I've only recently relocated out of Auckland, so of course had stayed at very few of the hotels in Auckland for the 14 years I lived there. I'd only been to dinners and Awards ceremonies at The Langham, so when the opportunity arose, we decided to book a weekend there. We were flying back to Auckland for an event on Friday night (which The Langham was close to), so took advantage of one of their great deals and booked for two nights last weekend. Within five minutes of arriving at The Langham I was regretting our choice. My partner had Friday off, so flew up to Auckland earlier in the day than I did - he checked into the hotel before me and I know made a considerable effort with Reception to ensure that a room key would be readily available for me. On top of this, I also made notes in our booking about the timing, at the time I made the reservation AND took the trouble to phone the hotel directly the day before our arrival to ensure that there wouldn't be an issue with our checking in separately, and was assured that a note would be made on the booking about the separate arrivals, and the woman on the phone confirmed that I would be given a room key without any fuss. Notwithstanding that my partner and I had both taken the trouble to make sure there wouldn't be any dramas on check-in; notwithstanding that the booking was in BOTH names; and notwithstanding that MY credit card was used to secure the booking, I was treated like a common criminal when I arrived at Reception after a hard day at work, an hour's flight and a harried drive into the City and tried to check into the room (I might add, that having flown up to Auckland straight from work, I was dressed in business attire - I work as a lawyer - so I can't even blame it on being too casually dressed). Unfortunately I picked Officious Reception Guy. Even though I knew the room number and gave my name (asking for the key card being held for me), I was answer several questions, provide my full name and then to produce photo ID by Marcelo (?). I was essentially left feeling humiliated in front of everyone standing at Reception (as if I was trying to break into someone's room?!). I understand a basic level of security at a hotel - but COME ON?! This has NEVER happened to me in all the years I've travelled and stayed at top class hotels both in NZ or overseas. It has also ensured that I'll NEVER be booking with The Langham Auckland again - congratulations Marcelo!
Compounding this indignity - the ROOM we'd been allocated was a nightmare. We had been upgraded to an "Executive" room (yay!), but unfortunately had been given a "connector" room (not so yay), so that we could hear every single conversation and noise from the couple next door as they went about their *ahem* business. Not the most relaxing weekend stay when you're forced to whisper to ensure you don't disturb the people in the next room. For some reason, we were also given a room located beneath a herd of elephants (I may be wrong, they may have been boisterous children, I'm not sure). The continual stomping and banging from the floor above was bad enough at 8pm at night, but after laying awake between 1.00am and 2.00am listening to the sound of stomping, jumping and banging from the upstairs room I'd had ENOUGH. This is something I'd expect at a budget motel, NOT a hotel that markets itself as five star.
Thanks, but no thanks Langham - it wasn't fun, and we WON'T be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our 5-star luxury Auckland hotel in Auckland's CBD offers: 409 rooms and suites* Dining at Eight restaurant and Palm Court* 24hr business centre* Free Wifi* Spacious meeting & banqueting facilities* Central CBD location* Luxury sedans available for airport transfers & sightseeing* Complimentary inner city shuttle service to waterfront* 24hr room service* Chuan Spa luxury Day Spa* 24hr fitness centre* Heated outdoor pool plus sauna and Jacuzzi* Walking to distance to Auckland city attractions including museum, art gallery, shops and restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, Ebookers and getaroom.com so you can book your The Langham, Auckland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Langham Auckland Hotel Auckland Central
- Langham Hotel Auckland
- The Langham Hotel Auckland
- The Langham, Auckland New Zealand