“Still the best...second time around”

The Langham, Auckland
Ranked #6 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Auckland, New Zealand
“Still the best...second time around”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I have stayed here before and my fiance decided to indulge me by booking us here for 3 nights earlier this year. Second time around it is still one of the best five star hotels I have stayed in. The rooms may be small but they are very comfortable and the ambience is just delightful. Having access to the executive lounge is excellent. Try it. This is the best hotel executive lounge. Breakfast is excellent, as are the staff. And for a little extra indulgence, dine at the same restaurant for their buffet dinner (not sure if they still have it) which serves at least 5 different types of cuisine. This hotel is luxury. Highly recommended if it's your first time to Auckland.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 201Sheila
tlakl, General Manager at The Langham, Auckland, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you for warm words and good to hear you enjoy the Club Lounge – it’s always a firm favourite with our guests, in particular the butler service and evening drinks and canapés. A great way to meet guests and enjoy that added level of luxury. Yes, we still have our restaurant Eight. There are eight interactive kitchens for our diners to choose from, including our popular seafood bar and gourmet grill (and some very delicious desserts). We shall look forward to welcoming you again next time you visit.
Darren Thurlow, Hotel manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (635)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne
Reviewed 2 June 2014

W recently stayed at the Langham hotel for two nights after our honeymoon cruise to NZ. This hotel is as you would expect from the Langham, the foyer is lovely. The staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was spacious and very clean but I felt it was a little dated. But the bed...what a joy to sleep in it, it was like sleeping on a cloud if I could have brought it home I would have. The location was a little out of the cbd and on a bit of a hill, walking into the main shopping area was about 10-15 mins to walk down but coming back up the hill was a little more strenuous. They do have a courtesy bus every hour so that helps. We did not dine at the restaurants we did look at the menu but I thought they were a little over the top re prices. Would I stay again, probably not because of the location.

Room Tip: high floor looking out at the tower
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
tlakl, General Manager at The Langham, Auckland, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thank you for your feedback and good to hear you enjoyed sleeping in our luxurious Blissful Beds. They are especially made for us by Sealy and we really do have guests taking them home (they are available through our Flavours of Langham store). We’d like to reassure you that we are progressively renovating throughout the hotel. We have just completed updating our Park Suites and Palm Court restaurant, and are working towards refurbishing our Classic and Executive Rooms. We do hope you will reconsider and visit us again one day.
Darren Thurlow, Hotel Manager
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed for several nights. Loved reception area - such a grand view, amazing smell of lotus flower and chandelier. Spa is amazing! Loved the pool, jacuzzi and steam room/sauna. We felt so relaxed. Service is so wonderful. We took shuttle several times which is so convenient and talked to drivers - they made our days! Thank you guys. New Zealand people are so warm and friendly. Wonderful breakfast buffer, luxury touches everywhere. We really enjoyed our stay.

Stayed April 2014
australia
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Langham while in Auckland for the NRL Nines...and loved it.

A short bus trip to Eden Park, clean rooms, really comfortable beds and bedding, good location and great service.

No problems at all.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My husband took me for a breakaway night after months of ill health. It was just what the Doctor ordered. Our Club Room was spacious, more than well appointment with large comfy bed. The complimentry items in bathroom and room where vast and more than adequate. We had dinner at Eight which was faultless. The service was great with our every need catered for. We are choice of foods included sushi, oysters, scampi, kangaroo, venison and lamb along with vegetable dishes. All where prepared to perfection and ever so tasty. I ended my meal with a large plate of petite fours, which were so delicious. That topped off with a couple of glasses of good wine, made for an excellent, romantic dinner. Again, we visited Eight for their buffet breakfast and my only disappointment was, as it was the night before, that I couldn't get to try every dish available. I did however manage to eat bacon, eggs benedict, sausages, fried potatoes, mushrooms, fresh orange juice, a marvellous mocca/coffee(it's hard to find great coffee in Auckland) and a vitamin drink. Will just have to go back for more. The only problem we had was our in-room safe wasn't working, but that was taken care of immediately, so can't complain. Sadly because of other commitments i.e. shopping, we arrived late in the day, so I was unable to take advantage of their renowned Chuan Spa and heated swimming pool. However that can wait until the next visit. Nevertheless, after a great nights sleep and huge breakfast, a bit of shopping in the Flavours of Langham shop, I left the hotel, a happy and relaxed girl, thanks to my husband's excellent choice of the Langham. I must also point out that I was impressed that guests can only access their floors by use of a swipe card, which is great for security. I found the opposite at the Hilton where when I was there for cocktails, I was able to access all areas of the hotel including the gym and pool area, at will. I like the security and the classiness of the Langham in comparison.

Room Tip: I haven't tried the classic rooms but I found the corner club room that we had was excellent, wi...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kimbennani
We are delighted we were able to provide a pleasant break away for you and your husband. Good to hear you were able to take home a few mementoes from Flavours of Langham – our new Langham bear Coco is always a favourite! We do take our safety and security seriously, and we find the swipe card system provides that extra peace of mind for guests. We hope that you be able to visit Chuan Spa next time you stay – it’s a wonderful place to relax and unwind.
Darren Thurlow, Hotel Manager
Paihia
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Have stayed in the past and have enjoyed the stay, 2 years on and I must say that the place has not changed much and now is starting to appear dated. I think the opulence of the place has now taken a gourdy feel. The front of house staff are as pleasant as ever, and with a small hiccup at check in I was pleased that the staff was able to sort things herself. For the money there are better places to stay in Auckland, had we not had an event to attend here we would not have stayed as the price and location being a bit away from the heart of the city is just not worth it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The first thing that struck me about The Langham was the service we received with the valet parking. Nothing was too much trouble. We were welcomed in such a friendly manner I thought it couldn't possibly continue...I was wrong. Every staff member that we encountered was friendly and smiley. They all went beyond the call of duty when dealing with us. The room was beautiful and clean. It was not very big but was very comfortable and well appointed. We ate at the restaurant and found the food to be delicious. The whole stay was well worth the money. We will return.

Room Tip: We had an executive room which was small but beautiful. I wouldn't want to go smaller.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family