I always turn to this site prior to booking my hotel accommodation. The number one hotel for Auckland, according to Trip Advisor, was the Westin. Unfortunately they wanted $NZ375 a night and they were pretty full as David Beckham and his posse were staying there. A friend of mine (obviously my richer friend), was actually staying there and said that he saw David Bakham in the lobby - but could only see the top of his head as he was swamped with women (sorry Posh!)
But the point of that introduction was that I couldn't afford hotel number one, so I went with the Langham. Now, the location isn't as fancy as the Westin (at the harbour), but the hotel was so cute. I have to give it snaps for that.
I booked a Queen bed room for NZ$220 a night. Upon check-in, I was told that I was upgraded to a King room (yeay!). I was also told that by the front desk that the Customer Relations Manager wanted to meet me and show me around the hotel. HUWAT?! haha, I was meeting up with some friends so I kindly told the front desk that I didn't have the time (to which he offerred that he could show me around the hotel - but I told him that I was busy). How funny.
So from the outside and some of the other pictures that you may see, the hotel looks old and outdated. But it is exactly the opposite! It is warm and has so much character. I have prouldy taken many pictures and posted them with this review.
I had dinner at SJB (hotel restaurant) one night and I had a very yummy Chicken Ceasar salad. Rachelle, who served me, was so kind and even gave me some complimentary bread rolls while I waited.
My room had a massive King bed, 40 inch plasma TV and really nice furniture. The bathroom was a combine tub/shower, but due to the set up of the bathroom sink, the bathtub was in a semi-alcove which was comfortable and stopped the water from splashing everywhere. The bathtub/shower was kind of small though so I would raise this as a concern to larger people as it may be a tight squeeze under the shower.
I liked the character of the furniture in the room. It was asian inspired and very warm and elegant. They had lots of cushions and large fluffy pillows. Mirrors and beautiful ornate lamps. I would love to have a bedroom like this at home.
On the flipside, the desk along with the internet connection was against the wall. Now, I like to have the TV on whilst I'm on my computer but there was no way to do this. Some hotels have the desk at an angle and the TV on a swivel so that you can arrange yourself comfortably -my room did not do let me work comfortably.
My other bugbear is their breakfast. It honestly felt like they used the leftovers from last night's buffet for the breakfast buffet. In my travels, I come across buffet breakfasts all the time (yes the eggs and sausages), and I understand that some hotels have a theme for their breakfasts for example, the Sheraton in Perth WA had an asian section where you could make yourself a congee. These themes are a welcome change to the norm. BUT the Langham's buffet breakfast was just plain weird. They had lamb chops, Teriyaki Salmon, dim sims and miso soup as part of the package. What is that? I was so confused. Then the other dishes looked tired and dull. All I could do was toast a mini bagel. My breakfast experience was such a letdown in comparison to the nice dinner I had the night before at SJB. After this, I just ordered breakfast room service for the rest of my stay.
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Langham and I would stay there again but would perhaps ask if they had other rooms that were more suited to business travellers (desk/internet/tv configuration) and I would just order breakfast room service. It's a pity because the restaurant is so pretty.
I actually enjoyed the breakfast room service as they presented it so well on a tray and I got to watch an episode of Orange County Chopper (why, I do not know) whilst I had my breakfast in bed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our 5-star luxury Auckland hotel in Auckland's CBD offers: 409 rooms and suites* Dining at Eight restaurant and Palm Court* 24hr business centre* Free Wifi* Spacious meeting & banqueting facilities* Central CBD location* Luxury sedans available for airport transfers & sightseeing* Complimentary inner city shuttle service to waterfront* 24hr room service* Chuan Spa luxury Day Spa* 24hr fitness centre* Heated outdoor pool plus sauna and Jacuzzi* Walking to distance to Auckland city attractions including museum, art gallery, shops and restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Priceline, Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your The Langham, Auckland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Langham Auckland Hotel Auckland Central
- Langham Hotel Auckland
- The Langham Hotel Auckland
- The Langham, Auckland New Zealand