“fantastic housekeeping staff”

GreenLeadersSilver level
auckland
“fantastic housekeeping staff”
Reviewed 13 January 2009

I stayed at the hotel and I just want to say the Housekeeping staff were fantastic. I spoke to the Head of Housekeeping regarding laundry and she was most courteous and helpful!!! After talking to her she came and picked the laundry up herself I was blown a way with the service.

• Liked — staff
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank chillip2007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (626)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Winnipeg,Canada
Reviewed 27 December 2008

the langham hotel in auckland is a first rate hotel.great location.the staff are most efficient and helpful.It truly offers all that you would expect from a first class hotel and then some.

LH. Winnipeg<canada

at you would expect from a first class hotel and then some.

• Liked — stately ambience
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank larrywinnipegcanada
Shropshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2008

We only stayed here for one night, but would have liked to stay longer. The bedroom was luxuriously furnished with silk cushions and a velvet throw. Housekeeping was excellent and even included a turn-down service with the customary chocolate on the pillow. The bar area is very stylish and, again, beautifully furnished.

• Liked — Comfort of room
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lindaraw
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 December 2008

I always turn to this site prior to booking my hotel accommodation. The number one hotel for Auckland, according to Trip Advisor, was the Westin. Unfortunately they wanted $NZ375 a night and they were pretty full as David Beckham and his posse were staying there. A friend of mine (obviously my richer friend), was actually staying there and said that he saw David Bakham in the lobby - but could only see the top of his head as he was swamped with women (sorry Posh!)

But the point of that introduction was that I couldn't afford hotel number one, so I went with the Langham. Now, the location isn't as fancy as the Westin (at the harbour), but the hotel was so cute. I have to give it snaps for that.

I booked a Queen bed room for NZ$220 a night. Upon check-in, I was told that I was upgraded to a King room (yeay!). I was also told that by the front desk that the Customer Relations Manager wanted to meet me and show me around the hotel. HUWAT?! haha, I was meeting up with some friends so I kindly told the front desk that I didn't have the time (to which he offerred that he could show me around the hotel - but I told him that I was busy). How funny.

So from the outside and some of the other pictures that you may see, the hotel looks old and outdated. But it is exactly the opposite! It is warm and has so much character. I have prouldy taken many pictures and posted them with this review.

I had dinner at SJB (hotel restaurant) one night and I had a very yummy Chicken Ceasar salad. Rachelle, who served me, was so kind and even gave me some complimentary bread rolls while I waited.

My room had a massive King bed, 40 inch plasma TV and really nice furniture. The bathroom was a combine tub/shower, but due to the set up of the bathroom sink, the bathtub was in a semi-alcove which was comfortable and stopped the water from splashing everywhere. The bathtub/shower was kind of small though so I would raise this as a concern to larger people as it may be a tight squeeze under the shower.

I liked the character of the furniture in the room. It was asian inspired and very warm and elegant. They had lots of cushions and large fluffy pillows. Mirrors and beautiful ornate lamps. I would love to have a bedroom like this at home.

On the flipside, the desk along with the internet connection was against the wall. Now, I like to have the TV on whilst I'm on my computer but there was no way to do this. Some hotels have the desk at an angle and the TV on a swivel so that you can arrange yourself comfortably -my room did not do let me work comfortably.

My other bugbear is their breakfast. It honestly felt like they used the leftovers from last night's buffet for the breakfast buffet. In my travels, I come across buffet breakfasts all the time (yes the eggs and sausages), and I understand that some hotels have a theme for their breakfasts for example, the Sheraton in Perth WA had an asian section where you could make yourself a congee. These themes are a welcome change to the norm. BUT the Langham's buffet breakfast was just plain weird. They had lamb chops, Teriyaki Salmon, dim sims and miso soup as part of the package. What is that? I was so confused. Then the other dishes looked tired and dull. All I could do was toast a mini bagel. My breakfast experience was such a letdown in comparison to the nice dinner I had the night before at SJB. After this, I just ordered breakfast room service for the rest of my stay.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Langham and I would stay there again but would perhaps ask if they had other rooms that were more suited to business travellers (desk/internet/tv configuration) and I would just order breakfast room service. It's a pity because the restaurant is so pretty.

I actually enjoyed the breakfast room service as they presented it so well on a tray and I got to watch an episode of Orange County Chopper (why, I do not know) whilst I had my breakfast in bed.

• Liked — Warm and elegant decor. Attention to detial
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
5 Thank kimonio
Auckland
Reviewed 7 December 2008

I chose the Langham Auckland for a weekend getaway with my husband due to several recommendations from friends and I was not let down. They went to such an effort to make our weekend special, my husband was so impressed with me. From the moment we arrived the dorrman was so friendly and made you feel sooo welcome.
From the lovely welcome to the room itself, the lovely club lounge ....wow, that was impressive to the beautiful meal we had in Partingtons and of course the buffet breakfast in SPF. This was our first weekend away for some time and I had forgotton what it was like to feel pampered. The concierge were so helpful and recommeded some fantastic shops for us, (some we would have never have found on our own).

The hotel itself is beautiful! We enjoyed our drinks before dinner in the winery- again felt so pampered with excellent service by the staff.

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will be back again for sure.

• Stayed November 2008
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 2 December 2008

After reading various Langham reviews in Auckland and Melbourne, I chose a different hotel in Melbourne, but booked an executive king for my 4-day stay in Auckland. The hotel décor was nice, and the room was reasonably comfortable, however, I usually judge hotels by the quality of the concierge service and this 5-star hotel was terrible. I received wrong information for every request – directions, tour information, tour prices, locations of jazz clubs, shopping information. I found myself verifying everything that I was told on the internet because I was repeatedly given bad information. Maybe we Americans expect too much, however, if you plan to stay at the Langham, bring your own maps, contact information for all excursions, make all of your own arrangements, and plan to do some walking as the Langham is not conveniently located to anything.

• Disliked — concierge service, location
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank TravellingThoughts
Melbourne
Reviewed 10 November 2008

Wow! The Langham is amazing. We had a few hick ups but those hick ups were quickly forgotten as the customer service received here exceeded that of ANY other 5 star hotel we have stayed at.

I booked our stay at The Langham a couple of months prior to our arrival, but decided about 6 weeks before our arrival that I wanted to upgrade the room to a king club room. After a week of emails back and forth to the hotel and getting nowhere when I was trying to organise to pay for an upgrade I had decided already that the customer service at the hotel was lacking. On check in a staff member advised me that we had been given a "complimentary upgrade to a king club room", I couldn't help but turn to my partner and say "upgraded to the room I had pre-arranged?" At the end of our stay we were charged for the difference between the original room and the "complimentary upgraded room" but after the wonderful stay I was happy to pay for it as I had already been expected to and it was worth every cent.

From our arrival in Auckland to our departure, the only time we had to touch our bags was at the airport as the staff didn't allow us to carry our bags anywhere. That's the first time in ANY 5 star hotel this has happened for some reason.
The room was an average size but the bed was enormous and comfy, the bathroom big and well stocked with quality products.
Our flight had been delayed (damn Emirates :P) and we had been expecting an arrival at the hotel at 1.30, in time for afternoon tea, however we arrived at 16.30, after afternoon tea was ending so we were able to help ourselves to ice cream from the club lounge. We enjoyed the complimentary canapes, drinks and breakfast buffet in the morning. The staff were so attentive and we were so appreciative of the wonderful service.

Later in the evening we had many drinks in the bar downstairs and the staff were so friendly and happy to have a chat with us. They were so lovely and had a lot of time for us, you really don't see that often from hotel bar staff.

On checking out the concierge took care of our bags for the day and organised our trip back to the airport, offering many options.

This hotel would top our list of hotels. I really hope it's a case of all Langham hotels being as wondering is the Auckland one. We almost canceled our last 2 days in NZ in Taupo JUST so we could return to The Langham in Auckland but unfortunately would have been charged for the cancellation. I wish we had all the same as I know it would have been worth it

• Stayed October 2008