“Professional and friendly staff, lovely clean room and a great location.”

The Langham, Auckland
Ranked #6 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 January 2011

I stayed at the Langham for two nights on my way out of NZ. I was impressed with the friendly and competent staff. I was upgraded upon arrival and the room was lovely, clean and spacious on the 6th floor.

I lived in Auckland in the eighties, and I chose to stay the The Langham this time precisely for the location. Easy access to K Road, Queen Street and a quick bus ride away from Newmarket. A lovely walk back past the Domain and along Grafton Bridge.

The new restaurant Eight had just opened. The kitchen closed at 10pm, and I was looking at the food at 9.30 pm. Other diners were obviously enjoying their meals. I thought some of the food (salads and vegetable bakes and sides) I was shown, by a very friendly and competent waitstaff who took me around the eight stations, was rather tired and not that fresh looking. I think this may come right though as the restaurant settles.

I left a rather expensive face wash in the bathroom of my room, and I was very impressed that the hotel emailed me to let me know this. Kudos to the room cleaners.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank JRSinYokohama

Reviewed 4 January 2011

Stayed at The Langham Auckland over Christmas. Wonderful Christmas Eve spent in their amazing new dining experience Eight. Excellent food with something for everyone. Staff friendly and helpful, nothing too much trouble. Christmas Day Afternoon Tea also lovely. Would recommend highly.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2011

ThIs hotel is not in the best of Locations, it is at the very top of Queens Street up near the Motorway, about 15/20 minutes walk to the CBD but the hotel does provide a free shuttle bus to and from the city so this did not really bother me.
The hotel is approx 30 years old and it desperately need a refurbishment. It only has 1 bar , which is in the hotel Lobby , this seems to cater more for afternoon teas so does not have the right feel as a evening bar. A lovely out door bar / coffee terrace is definatley needed.There are 3 tables that i think they call a terrace next to the main entrance and the carpark,(not really relaxing for an afternoon drink in the sun!)
There are 2 restaurants , 1 called Eight which has just opened , 8 culinary kitchens in one restaurant but when we found out this restaurant double up for Breakfast in the mornings we decided to give it a miss. The Breakfast was an additional $37 each and the hotel was full on New years eve so they wanted us to queue the next morning for breakfast for half an hour before we got a table .
The hotel rooms are very average, desperately need a refurbishment. We got a good deal on agoda website so i think we got the cheap room on floor 4, as my mum was on floor 5 and the furniture in her room was alot better.
The bathrooms are tiny and smelt of damp, the shower was so small over the bath, that my husband head could touch the ceiling.
The pool area is tiny , 20 sunbeds , 3 tables and a hot tub! Guest are fighting to get a sunbed. It needs planting out nicely to make this area look better , Maybe even a sun terrace were you can have a relaxing drink!
Overall the experience in this hotel was not great , It is more like a 3 star ! we would not return to this hotel again or recommend friends but in all fairness i dont think Auckland has a true 5 star hotel so were would you go .I have been recommended a boutique hotel called "mollies" but that is approx $500 per night so alot more expensive.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2011

The reason it appears on all listing as number ONE is because it is exactly that.
We arrived after 25 hour flight from the England at 01h30, totally exhaused. Reception no fuss efficiently processed and settled in the room within 15 minutes.
Wonderful rooms so well appointed and quiet.
Breakfast choice to suit everyones taste.
Best possible entry into NZ and a haven to recover before embarking on our exploration of this wonderful country. Stay on our next visit - it's a no brainer.
Only downside is the location which is someway out from the CBD. The hotel runs an hourly shuttle on a 'first come' basis otherwise it is a taxi journey to the harbour.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2010

After reading the most recent reviews on The Langham our experience could not have been more different. Our stay was a complegte joy starting with being picked up at the airport aftrer a long flight from UK by a lovely lady driver who transported us to the hotel in a beautiful limo, upon arrival we were met in person by two concierges and Nikki who seamlessly took us through check in and then escorted us to our room explaining everything we needed to know about the hotel. We had a beautiful room on the 10th club rooms floor which was spacious,comfortable and well equipped. We enjoyed having the use of the club lounge and found the staff there, particularly Paul very welcoming and we felt very well looked after. Breakfast in the club lounge was good and plentiful as were the delicious canapes served in the early evening, there was also tea,coffee, pastries, savoury snacks, ice cream etc available all day if you wanted. A shuttle service downtown is offered all day which is great as the hotel is slightly away from the centre of the city. We have stayed at Langham's in Melbourne and London and really could not fault any aspect of our stay at the Auckland Langham. Our thanks to all the staff for making our stay a great one.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 December 2010

Background to review: I arrived exhausted after a delayed 50 hour trip from the UK due to severe winter weather. Given that I spend my professional life cleaned shaven and suited, I like to spend my holidays unshaven in pair of shorts, a t shirt and flip flops. I also spend my life travelling and am lucky enough to stay in some top hotels.

Why did the Langham let me down so much?:

- Having stayed in Langhams before, I always use their hotel cars. I therefore booked one in Auckland. The hotel sub contracted the hire to a 3rd party. The car was poor. The driver unable to communicate. Worst of all, after a horrendous journey, the driver wasn't there on arrival.

- On arrival the receptionist couldn't manage a smile. The concierge looked at me like I was dirt on their shoe. The check in was tedious. Unlike most 5 star hotels, there were no refreshments offered on arrival after a long trip.

- We had booked a special rate on a suite that was non refundable. During our delayed trip I had continually updated our hotel of our ETA. This was with a view to ensuring we were only charged for one night. On check out they insisted on charging the full rate and applying a 10% service fee. They also were nondoubt able to resell the room.

- After our exhausting journey, we collapsed in to bed and went for room service. It was prompt but everything was very greasy and lacked any flavour.

- Our 'suite' was on a low floor. It wasnt actually a suite - just 2 former rooms knocked in to one! You could still see the outline of the numbers removed from one of our exterior doors! The room's view was of a car park and the back of another building. The decor was very tired and the room itself smelt of damp. How much did this privilege cost? £375. Lucky us.

- We decided to drown our sorrows in the club room on the 10th floor. This was the usual deal - nibbles and drinks. Unfortunately, we only made it in to the club room (which had all the charm of an airport lounge from the 90s) when a spotty teenager with a big smile on his favmce proclaimed out loud in front of the other guests that I had to leave because I was wearing flip flops. Now dresscodes I get but this place was not the place for formality, it simply did not merit it.

- The location is a shocker. Miles away from anything. Good for getting on the motorway south but not much else.

I asked to speak to the manager on check out. After an initial refusal, I got a junior assistant manager who was robotic in his engagement and could not have been less sincere.

We will come back to Auckland but not this hotel so we decided to look at some others for next time. The stand out was the Hilton. Please fo yourself a favour and stay there.

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank Rob A
Reviewed 19 December 2010

Great location to go out at nighttime (K Street around the corner). Breakfast buffet huge, but quality more looks than taste. Gym good, but not too big. Nice steam room and sauna. Friendly service, excellent concierge. Rooms are a bit stuffy and we didn't get any view but a flat garage roof. Bathrooms small, single wash basin only and no seperate shower.

• Stayed: December 2010