“Nice....but I'd choose differently next time.”
Review of Cordis, Auckland

Cordis, Auckland
Ranked #5 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 January 2011

The hotel is very nice but I had a few issues with the property. The location....not the hotels fault but it wasn't exactly where I had wanted to be (of course I didn't know that until I arrived). I would rather be closer to the waterfront. The service....it wasn't great: we received the wrong keys and didn't have club access when we had a club level room. Didn't get a wake-up call on the morning we left (good thing I didn't sleep well) and didn't get coffee delivered to the room either. The beds were comfortable only if you stayed on either end...there was a big bump in the middle. I had much higher expectations for $500NZD per night.

• Stayed: January 2011
Write a ReviewReviews (4,454)

Reviewed 27 January 2011

We had planned only one night in the Langham, on arrival in New Zealand but ended up with two further unplanned visits of two and four nights following some urgent surgery in Auckland hospital and around a follow-up appointment.

First things first; we wanted a comfortable hotel with the opportunity for a good night's sleep after a flight from Singapore. And we certainly got that. The beds were fantastic - even my 11 year old who drew the short straw of a rollaway bed said it was really comfortable (and a class apart from the normal sofa beds she gets stuck with). And (unless all our neighbours were particularly quiet, even on New Year's Eve) the soundproofing was the best I have come across in any hotel. We slept better in this hotel than we have done in years.

The breakfast was magnificent with plenty of choice and good quality food. And I cannot recommend the restaurant buffet too highly. We thought it a little pricey but when we eventually succumbed, we reaslised that we were just being parsimonious and that the value for money was first rate.

But the thing that most stuck in my mind was the helpfulness and attentiveness of the staff. It was good enough when we first arrived. But on our second visit, I had just had eye surgery and everyone just went out of their way to help. Reception staff were incredible throughout as were the concierges. It was the third visit that really sealed it for me. I was greeted by name as I walked through the door and all the staff who had seen me previously, including restaurant staff, asked me how I was recovering. And they were sincere about it too.

If this is the Langham quality, it is a group of hotels that will certainly see me again.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 January 2011

Everything about this hotel was good although now reading the other reviews I'm jealous. Our travel consultant recommended and booked this hotel and we didn't get any of the deals that other reviewers enjoyed.
But perhaps that makes this review a bit more grounded.
Value for money was good though and the room was reasonably spacious and well fitted out - albeit a bit pink for our taste. Not sure where the half star comes from but it's definitely worthy of four stars.
The location is a bit iffy but the free shuttle bus overcomes that problem very reliably and the drivers were well informed.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2011

We stayed in a Club Room on 10th floor with complimentary evening drinks and nibbles as well as 24hr coffee and tea and other facilities throughout the day.

The room was exceptional with everything provided including, toothpaste & brush, shaving cream & razor, comb, bath mit, as well as all other usual bathroom toiletries.

The breakfast and evening meal in the restaurant was excellent value.

If we ever return to Auckland, we will certainly stay at the Langham.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2011

Spent 1 night (Friday) just for a break. All staff were friendly and helpful. Room felt a little small but was classy and I expect the more you pay the bigger the room. Pool and spa were good and the service from the pool staff was excellent. Location could be better but the hotel does run shuttles. Breakfast next day was also very good. Intend having another night at the Langham later this year.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 January 2011

This was the second time at The Langham for us. Both times we indulged in the suite deal where you pay for a night in a suite and get the second complimentary. Also with suite you get the access to the club lounge on the 10th floor with complimentary evening drinks and nibbles as well as 24hr coffee and tea and other goodies during the day. On both occassions we were upgraded from the suite we booked to a better more expensive one at no extra cost. On our last stay we were upgraded to the Royal suite which is the best and was simply amazing. The service has always been excellent. Although on Symonds St which is a reasonable walk to Queen St they have a courtesy bus running every half hour to Customs St. Have stayed in numerous hotels in Auckland and can't beat the value that the Langham gives. Won't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2011

My first visit to Auckland, and I fould this hotel on the internet. They have an excellent hotel with a very caring and attentive staff. Windows are well insulated. I never heard traffic noise in the nine nights I was there. Their limousine service is equal to the accomodations, as is the food in their restaurants. They feature a nice pool area with food and beverage service on the roof of the second floor. Housekeeping is also top notch, with nightly turn-down service. A little out of the main warf and business district, but free shuttle service is provided twice an hour during the day until about 9 P.M. Would definitely stay there again!

Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo