“Fawlty Towers”

Ranked #48 of 118 Speciality Lodging in Auckland
Melbourne, Australia
“Fawlty Towers”
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Note, I stayed here for a lengthy period of time in 2009....this review is well overdue!

My stay went from one farce to another. It started with everything in the apartment being sticky to touch. Hardly any cutlery was to be found, with a non working kettle and a black pot to cook with. The bathroom was leaking and the phone didn't work....not even to call reception. When temporarily moved to another room, which was not much better, 2 strange men walked into the apartment at 4am. They had been given a key to the same apartment!!!! Luckily they left as soon as they realised, but it could have been a tragic outcome.
I spoke to the manager who did not apologise and said it had been a computer glitch. And when she was asked to touch the sticky surfaces she admitted it wasn't up to scratch but suggested I was being a little precious. She promised to have it cleaned but when I returned to the apartment at the end of the day, only those surfaces I pointed out had been cleaned, nothing else.
She also promised the phone would be working within a few days as would the internet services. The phone still didn't work when I left....6 months later! I had to ask for the internet to be fixed about 5 times before they finally got another resident who was good with computers to sort it out. Is this Fawlty Towers? And when I complained, I was told if I didn't like it I could leave.

The only saving grace was 2 of the reception staff who were absolutely fantastic, together with the fact that the location was exactly what I needed, was the only reason I continued to stay there for the time I did. I would never ever go back again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank Nani7376

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Gold Coast Australia
Reviewed 17 September 2010

We booked a two bedroom apartment thru luxy.co.nz for our Christmas stay in Auckland. The apartment was perfect, we travelled with our three children 8yrs, 5yrs and 1yr old and the apartment had plenty of room for them to relax and play in. The view from the room was simply stunning, sitting at the dining table on Christmas day and looking straight out over Auckland Harbour was breath-taking, The pool area was great and very well used by the kids. Even the reception area were helpful with our queries, and we hadn't even booked with the actual hotel. The staff with Luxy were fantastic, our flight was delayed and we didn't get to the apartment until 4am - but the man that met us was extremely understanding and helpful since we had been on a flight all night with three sleepy kids - he was quick, polite and efficient in handling the paperwork side of things. I would most definately return, the location is great ... and even though you are in the heart of the city, the apartment really has a "home" feeling. Well equipped kitchen, great washing machine and drier, and overall ... there was room to move and spread out, which for a family with kids, is very important!!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank TAKE_OFF_TIME
Christchurch
Reviewed 9 March 2009

Paid $310.00 for a 2bdrm deluxe suite including carparking. Requested a 1pm early checkin, our flight was delayed and we arrived at 3.30pm to be checked into room 1108. Bed wasnt made in one room, towels on floor, dishes in sink, room not vacuumed. No phone to ring reception. Took four suitecases downstairs to be told that we should "wait thirty minutes in reception" while they cleaned it. I said no - its getting onto 4pm and we just want to get in our room, so please assign a new room - to which they said there were none available. Took 1108 room and dumped luggage to go shopping. Receptionist / Cleaner very rude and made us feel like we were imposing on their Saturday afternoon. Returned to cleaned room to still find bathrooms in a dirty state with new towels and amenties. Breadcrumbs still on lounge floor, so no vacuum had touched the room. Seat in master bedroom ripped. We were given 4x free bacon'n'egg breakfast vouchers for a local cafe which was the only upside to this whole trip.

Room didnt look anything like photos on website. No balcony/courtyard as website promised, no phone, no internet, no radio, no cd-player, no alarm-clock as all promised.

Complaint currently being lodged with qualmark as this does not live up to a four star hotel (it used to be a five star when run as Ascott Hotel). Also lodged complaint with Commerce Commission for false advertising as photos shown on site were not at all what we recieved.

Avoid at all cost. For $310.00 I recommend two bedroom suites at Citylife/Heritage Hotels, or for less you can get better apartments at Oaks, or Cent@l Precient.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
aucklandpeter, Manager at Metropolis, responded to this review, 26 May 2009
It is VERY important to note. That you did not book your room through Metropolis Residences or Apartments at Metropolis. You stayed with Metro Suites which is a sub standard letting operation within the building, in which one of the owners privately lets her rooms. This operation has nothing what so ever to do with the building managements of Metropolis. I can only apologize on behalf of all other owners of Metropolis Residences.
Australia
Reviewed 9 December 2008

I booked an apartment at the Metropolis for the duration of a conference that I was attending in Auckland. I booked it through

I had several different options to choose from but decided on Metropolis as plenty of customers appeard to have enjoyed their stay there (read all the reviews here) AND most importantly, because internet was included! It sounded like a great catch and I was very content with my choice until the day before leaving when I by chance noticed that they had changed the wording on the website for the very apartment that I had booked.
It now read that internet was available but to an additional cost.
I also noted that what previously read exlusive to Apartments in Auckland now read exclusive to Luxy apartments.

I am REALLY NOT the type of person who would ever complain, Im laid back and relaxed but as my main reason for deciding on staying there was the free internet I decided to email them. The response I got was that a mistake must have been made, internet had never included in this apartment. Instead, internet was available at a cost etc. I had already read the last part on their website, which was the reason why I emailed them, but as I was certain free internet was advertised at the time (perhaps by mistake but even still) and since I knew that I had a print out of the webpage somewhere (Im a visual person so I like print outs) , I emailed them again. The last response I got was that if I could show them some type of proof, I would be reimbursed for the internet expenses I may have. As I had already arrived in Auckland when receiving that email and my boyfriend couldnt find it at home, I could never claim my case.

It may be true that internet was never free in this apartment, but if that is so, they made a mistake on their website and I wish that they would have been humble enough to at least admit it and offer to either cover my internet or move me into another apartment.

Leaving my internet issue aside, I do think that the apartment I had was really nice and had everything I needed and is in a great location BUT DO MAKE SURE TO PRINT OUT or screen dump what the website looked like on the day you booked it, to ensure you get everything that is to be included. As I feel that they didnt treat me that well in our communication, I wont recommend them to friends even if the rooms are nice and my view was beautiful. If you do decide to stay though, you wont be dissappointed unless you have any similar issue as mine though.

• Liked — The view and comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Not receiving the services promised to me!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
4 Thank halfasianessa
new zealand
Reviewed 1 November 2008

we have been putting our guests in this hotel for 5 years and its been great however there are now some changes. ascott have pulled out of running this hotel and its now serviced apartments run by a 3rd party

we arrived at the hotel and no one was on reception, after 5 minutes someone appeared and they lost our reservation. after waiting in the lobby for 20 minutes we didnt see one single person come in or out of the hotel. then the lady sent us out of the hotel to another business around the corner to check in as their hotel bookings are now handled by another company. when we got there 2 people were having lunch behind the counter and couldnt speak english. finally someone appeared and checked us into our room.

then we got to the room and were told that the phones and internet in the rooms would not allow us to make or receive calls.
we had to conduct our hotel business from our cellphone.

the rooms are great so no problem there, thats why the hotel is ranked so high it is a great place however the service is terrible.
the restaurant and bar is no longer open at all so you cant eat or drink in the hotel.

the next day we stood at reception to check out and there was a sign saying back in 15 minutes, we waited then when the staff came back we were told to go to the other business around the corner to check out. once we checked out we came back to get our luggage and decided to check email on our laptop. we were asked if we were using the hotels bandwidth by a security guard.

all in all a very strange experience. i run an entertainment business here in auckland and for years i have put singers, bands, djs, etc in this hotel and have made over 150 bookings here. this will be the last time i put anyone here. imagine the lead singer of a famous band who has just gotten off a long flight being asked to check in around the corner in wait 30 minutes to get into his room.. embarrassing :(

Stayed October 2008
3 Thank samhillnz
aucklandpeter, Manager at Metropolis, responded to this review, 26 May 2009
London
Reviewed 8 September 2008

fantastic service, rooms and, the building was magnificent i have 3 teenagers and the facilitys where great! Thankyou Metropolis!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Having To Leave!!!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Morgan1958
brisbane
Reviewed 1 September 2008

This is the best hotel I have ever stayed in. All of the staff made us feel like we were the most important guests to stay there. The girl at the front desk was all smiles.

The room was modern, and very well equipped. It was spotless.

The restaurant food was excellent.

The pool was very nice, and warm.

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple