“A great place to stay!”

Ranked #46 of 108 Speciality Lodging in Auckland
San Diego, California
“A great place to stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2006

We stayed at the Ascott for a total of 4 nights in mid-April (1 night at beginning of trip and 3 at end). We paid $179 for the 1st night and $159 for the 3 the following week for a Studio Executive Residence. Thought these were excellent prices compared to other hotels and the room was very nice.

The room itself is actually 2 rooms plus a small kitchenette area by the hall door. In the kitchen, there is a small stackable washer and dryer (free soap provided), sink, microwave, cooktop, dishwasher drawer, and medium size refrigerator. They also provide dishes and an electric tea kettle. The bathroom is fairly large w/ separate tub and shower. There was only 1 sink but plenty of storage room. They provided nice bath amenities.

The living area is next. It had a dining table w/ 2 chairs, TV in armoire, couch, chair (very uncomfortable – back was too high and no arms), coffee table and lamp table w/ small stereo/CD player. Nice contemporary furnishings. The bedroom is closest to the window/balcony. There are sliding doors to close from the living to bedroom. However, they are only frosted glass not solid, so light shines from the living room onto the bed (if 1 person is trying to sleep while the other reads, etc.). The bedroom was also nicely furnished. Large closets w/ safe and ironing board plus small makeup area w/ ottoman (no mirror). TV in the bedroom too (think there was a CD player in the clock, but don’t remember). Plenty of storage space. The bed was very low to the ground, but very comfy w/ plenty of pillows.

The indoor pool is beautiful. There is a hot tub w/ amazing view of the Sky Tower. We went about 10PM one night and it was really lovely to sit in the hot tub and admire the view. There is a sauna and decent gym too. The access to this area is controlled by your room key card (no need for a separate key). The elevator is also controlled by your room key card.

The breakfast buffet was overpriced at $28 per person. The food was decent, but not enough variety to justify that price. The bar was only open 2 or 3 nights/week and closed at 10:00PM (couldn’t believe that one!). Beautiful marble lobby – really, really beautiful.

The service was hot and cold. When we 1st checked in (at 8AM after a 13hr flight), we were immediately offered our rooms w/ no extra fee. Excellent. I tried to nap around 3 that afternoon so I could be rested for our evening activities, but there was DJ setting up for a party on a nearby roof and he was playing his tunes very, very loudly. I couldn’t sleep even w/ the windows shut and earplugs in! I called the front desk to inquire if they knew anything about it. They said they’d check into it, but in any case, they did not have another room available. We went out that night and came back after midnight. Party was still going on. Called the front desk and they told me that it usually goes on until 2 or 3 in the morning (guess it’s a common problem there). However, they immediately told me that they had another room for me. We packed up very quickly. They sent up a valet to give us the new key (but he didn’t bring a cart so we had to drag our own luggage to the other room). So they get a C for telling me that there was no other room when I called early in the day. But an A for finding one late at night. I would have much preferred switching rooms in the afternoon instead of so late at night after the long flight and long day/night out.

So beware. Some of the rooms face High Street which is noisy. The rooms facing the park are so much quieter. We did have a slightly better harbor view from the 1st room (could still see the harbor area in room #2) but I prefer a decent night sleep over a good view. When we checked out, I told them I had another reservation for the following week. They checked it and assured me that they would put me on the same side of the hotel again so we wouldn’t have the same problem. We had a great room for the 2nd part of our stay. Another A+.

When we checked in the 2nd time, I noticed that several light bulbs were burned out, we were missing some towels and didn’t have a bathrobe. I called housekeeping. An hour later I was still waiting so I called again. They apologized and this time 2 guys came up w/in 15 minutes w/ everything we needed and they replaced the bulbs.

The hotel is well located and w/in walking distance to the Sky Tower and Queen Street. We also walked to the Hertz dealer on Victoria St to pick up (and then return) our rental car. It was maybe 10-15 minute walk. But we were able to check out the area on our way too. We also walked to the Viaduct and Ferry terminal. No major hills (like the Hyatt). I would definitely stay here again despite the mixed level of service.

• Stayed April 2006
9 Thank SunnySanDiego

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2006

If you're staying in Auckland, this is perfect. Rooms are clean and comfy. Hotel staff are helpful and attentive, without being too in-your-face. Valet parking is useful (as there's no easy parking close by), the bar is good, and there are loads of resturants within strolling distance.

I can't think of anything negative about it, and i'll certainly go back there again.

• Stayed January 2006
9 Thank markF2430OC
Ashburn, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2006

If you stay in Auckland, and find anything wrong with this hotel, please go back on your medication.

It's a couple block away from downtown. The gardens are across the street. And our room/ suite had a washer/dryer, dishwasher, health club and pool. Full breakfast is included in your room rate. ( It as in ours anyway.)

I suspicion there are floors that are resident owned apts. but it did't interfere with our life.

If you're coming from the States, this is a great place to adjust to the time zones, wash out your dirty laundry, and get adusted.

• Stayed December 2005
8 Thank SuperSpy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2005

I stayed at the Ascott in Auckland on my business trip to New Zealand and found superb rooms and exceptional service. I do travel quite a lot and have stayed with most of the big chain hotels, but this one was truly unique and a pleasure to stay in. It is the attention to detail which I enjoyed most and the attentive staff.
The food was really good, too. As I stayed over a week it was good to be in such a central location whith shops and restaurants.

• Stayed September 2005, travelled on business
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
billinge,england
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2005

We booked the Ascot some 3 weeks before our trip and advised the hotel that we would be arriving at 5.30 am.from Los Angeles and could they arrange transportation to the hotel.This was confirmed and was duly done.However when we got to the Ascot,we were advised that check in time was 2.00pm and would we care to sit in reception for the next 7 and a half hours or prehaps go for a walk around Auckland.Now I cant speak for everyone who has just gotten off a 12 hour flight,but neither of these were an acceptable option.But the receptionist did come up with a plan.We could get into our room immediatly if we paid a $100 early check in fee.So clearly then,not a good start.
The room was more like an appartment really with a kitchen area and a washing machine and a dryer.No complaints about any of this.all clean and acceptable.
But the Ascot is advertised as a 4 star hotel,which it just isnt and the main reason for this is that they dont have any staff.The concierge and reception and bar areas are left unattended for long periods.room service is non existant and the business area was described as "broken".
If you want a clean tidy serviced apartment then this is your place.If you want a 4 star hotel,then look elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2005
10 Thank tonytelecom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2005

I am a business traveller, who has stayed in auckland many times. This hotel was recommended as being the best. I booked for 4 nights and appon arrival the bathroom has toothpaste still in the glasses, hair on the toilet seat and the kitchen floor was sticky when you stood on the floor with bar feet. I tried to order room service and the phones rang out 7 times and no answer. I finally called the duty manager and again they obviously don't train the young college staff. I have to say the entrance was amazing but the service was poor and the room are painted in dark mushroom colour. So its dark.
The pool and gym is nice but again you could not get in unless you rang the staff each time because they run out of keys. Unreal!
Also I was taking to guy on the plane who works for a property company Land Lease they stay there each week and have a standard booking but they always do not have it when they arrive.
The let downs are young staff who are not trained, they do not welcome you, nor can they handle a small complaint and the cleaning!. Debra Young Sydney, Aus 12 - 16 Feb. 2005

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2005

I've stayed at a number of the 5 Star hotels in Auckland, including the Hilton and Hyatt, and this was by far the best. The enterance is an old courthouse and the rooms are in the adjoining tower. Our room was on the 19th floor, which wasn't classified as a harbour-view, but we still had fantastic views of the city & the harbour. Found the staff very friendly and the concierge/door person excellent - helped us with everything we needed.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member