“Egg cups and potatoe peeler not included ...”
Review of Metropolis

Metropolis
Reviewed 15 January 2007

We tried to find accomodation from away from the notorious noisy water front of Auckland viaduct basin, (cars race up and down on weekends and pub goers sound like they're not in love with each other after mid night) and finally chose these apartments which are set back in the city .

We stayed with 2 small children and wanted self catering with some style. It seems these apartments are badly in need of refurbishment, particularly the furniture and cabinets which were damaged and stains on the carpets and chairs. I wouldn't normally be bothered about this but at +$400 per night it's a bit strong.

These comments apply to multiple rooms we stayed in as we had to be moved after the first week from rooms adjacent to the local night club district which was far too noisy to rooms overlooking the park at the back which were much quieter.

The bathrooms are nice and well maintained but unfortunately the double beds are really terrible with very soft and spongy mattresses which left me with back pain. After questioning the staff about getting a firmer bed we were provided with a "bed board" plank of wood to insert between base and mattress. Not really 5* solution for these prices !!

The kitchens were mostly well equiped but amazingly enough there are no egg cups or potatoe peelers provided !

With young kids who want boiled eggs for breaky I ask the staff
for the said items where upon someone was duely dispatced to
buy some. On arrival to the door I was asked to sign a "bond" of $60 for 4 egg cups which would be released on safe return.

For an establishment reputed to be one of Aucklands finest I'm rather "gob smacked" to be faced with these kind of details.

On the plus side the staff tried hard to rectify the faults and were polite and courteous. However I don't like being put in the position of being charged a lot of loney for a product that doesn't
match the price asked.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank BrusselsSteve

Reviewed 21 November 2006

Stayed here for two nights, quality absolutely first class. Room consisted of a bedroom, kitchette and bathroom. Had a full size fridge, washine machine and dishwasher.

Will return when next in NZ.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled on business
2  Thank The_Hills
Reviewed 6 November 2006

Stayed for 1 night on a stopover in auckland. Friendly staff, and check in was handled well. Pool area is excellent. I get the impression that the property is not being maintained properly in that there is a certain mouldy smell in the corridors and room. Overall service is good and security is also good.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled on business
1  Thank doggyface
Reviewed 1 May 2006

We stayed at the Ascott for a total of 4 nights in mid-April (1 night at beginning of trip and 3 at end). We paid $179 for the 1st night and $159 for the 3 the following week for a Studio Executive Residence. Thought these were excellent prices compared to other hotels and the room was very nice.

The room itself is actually 2 rooms plus a small kitchenette area by the hall door. In the kitchen, there is a small stackable washer and dryer (free soap provided), sink, microwave, cooktop, dishwasher drawer, and medium size refrigerator. They also provide dishes and an electric tea kettle. The bathroom is fairly large w/ separate tub and shower. There was only 1 sink but plenty of storage room. They provided nice bath amenities.

The living area is next. It had a dining table w/ 2 chairs, TV in armoire, couch, chair (very uncomfortable – back was too high and no arms), coffee table and lamp table w/ small stereo/CD player. Nice contemporary furnishings. The bedroom is closest to the window/balcony. There are sliding doors to close from the living to bedroom. However, they are only frosted glass not solid, so light shines from the living room onto the bed (if 1 person is trying to sleep while the other reads, etc.). The bedroom was also nicely furnished. Large closets w/ safe and ironing board plus small makeup area w/ ottoman (no mirror). TV in the bedroom too (think there was a CD player in the clock, but don’t remember). Plenty of storage space. The bed was very low to the ground, but very comfy w/ plenty of pillows.

The indoor pool is beautiful. There is a hot tub w/ amazing view of the Sky Tower. We went about 10PM one night and it was really lovely to sit in the hot tub and admire the view. There is a sauna and decent gym too. The access to this area is controlled by your room key card (no need for a separate key). The elevator is also controlled by your room key card.

The breakfast buffet was overpriced at $28 per person. The food was decent, but not enough variety to justify that price. The bar was only open 2 or 3 nights/week and closed at 10:00PM (couldn’t believe that one!). Beautiful marble lobby – really, really beautiful.

The service was hot and cold. When we 1st checked in (at 8AM after a 13hr flight), we were immediately offered our rooms w/ no extra fee. Excellent. I tried to nap around 3 that afternoon so I could be rested for our evening activities, but there was DJ setting up for a party on a nearby roof and he was playing his tunes very, very loudly. I couldn’t sleep even w/ the windows shut and earplugs in! I called the front desk to inquire if they knew anything about it. They said they’d check into it, but in any case, they did not have another room available. We went out that night and came back after midnight. Party was still going on. Called the front desk and they told me that it usually goes on until 2 or 3 in the morning (guess it’s a common problem there). However, they immediately told me that they had another room for me. We packed up very quickly. They sent up a valet to give us the new key (but he didn’t bring a cart so we had to drag our own luggage to the other room). So they get a C for telling me that there was no other room when I called early in the day. But an A for finding one late at night. I would have much preferred switching rooms in the afternoon instead of so late at night after the long flight and long day/night out.

So beware. Some of the rooms face High Street which is noisy. The rooms facing the park are so much quieter. We did have a slightly better harbor view from the 1st room (could still see the harbor area in room #2) but I prefer a decent night sleep over a good view. When we checked out, I told them I had another reservation for the following week. They checked it and assured me that they would put me on the same side of the hotel again so we wouldn’t have the same problem. We had a great room for the 2nd part of our stay. Another A+.

When we checked in the 2nd time, I noticed that several light bulbs were burned out, we were missing some towels and didn’t have a bathrobe. I called housekeeping. An hour later I was still waiting so I called again. They apologized and this time 2 guys came up w/in 15 minutes w/ everything we needed and they replaced the bulbs.

The hotel is well located and w/in walking distance to the Sky Tower and Queen Street. We also walked to the Hertz dealer on Victoria St to pick up (and then return) our rental car. It was maybe 10-15 minute walk. But we were able to check out the area on our way too. We also walked to the Viaduct and Ferry terminal. No major hills (like the Hyatt). I would definitely stay here again despite the mixed level of service.

• Stayed: April 2006
9  Thank SunnySanDiego
Reviewed 9 February 2006

If you're staying in Auckland, this is perfect. Rooms are clean and comfy. Hotel staff are helpful and attentive, without being too in-your-face. Valet parking is useful (as there's no easy parking close by), the bar is good, and there are loads of resturants within strolling distance.

I can't think of anything negative about it, and i'll certainly go back there again.

• Stayed: January 2006
9  Thank markF2430OC
Reviewed 16 January 2006

If you stay in Auckland, and find anything wrong with this hotel, please go back on your medication.

It's a couple block away from downtown. The gardens are across the street. And our room/ suite had a washer/dryer, dishwasher, health club and pool. Full breakfast is included in your room rate. ( It as in ours anyway.)

I suspicion there are floors that are resident owned apts. but it did't interfere with our life.

If you're coming from the States, this is a great place to adjust to the time zones, wash out your dirty laundry, and get adusted.

• Stayed: December 2005
8  Thank SuperSpy
A TripAdvisor Member
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 12 October 2005

I stayed at the Ascott in Auckland on my business trip to New Zealand and found superb rooms and exceptional service. I do travel quite a lot and have stayed with most of the big chain hotels, but this one was truly unique and a pleasure to stay in. It is the attention to detail which I enjoyed most and the attentive staff.
The food was really good, too. As I stayed over a week it was good to be in such a central location whith shops and restaurants.

• Stayed: September 2005, travelled on business