“Bland room, great location”

The Sebel Auckland Viaduct Harbour
Ranked #17 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 28 December 2009

I stayed in a studio suite at the Sebel for three nights. Everything about the room was fine, just the decor was a bit tired and beige and uninspiring.

The room had some nice features such as a CD and DVD player, huge flat-screen TV and a clock radio with Ipod dock. The TV was set on a turntable so that you could view it from various points around the room. There were blinds as well as thick curtains ensuring almost total darkness at night, although annoyingly the smoke detector had two red LEDs that blinked away just in the corner of my eyesight all night. There was a balcony, but it was very narrow, no room for a table or chair where you could sit out. Inside the room there were two easy-chairs and a small coffee table. I would have liked to have had a desk as well as the small round dining table provided so that I could leave my laptop out and still have somewhere to eat.

The Sebel provides wired high-speed broadband internet which I got for free as I'd booked a special rate through Hotel Club but otherwise it's pricey at $25NZ per day. The mini bar was also pricey but there's a convenience store just down the street to buy snacks and basic groceries. I didn't notice if it had liquor.

As well as basic kitchen facilities, a washing machine (top loader) and seperate dryer were provided, both very quick and very efficient. Clothes came out of the dryer with barely a crease.

The bathroom was okay, only a half-size bath though. Shower pressure was fine. Towels were a bit overused and scratchy, but there were two fluffy dressing-gowns provided.

I ordered from the room service menu twice, lunch on the first day and breakfast on the second, and both times the food arrived promptly but lukewarm. The lamb I got for lunch was fatty, overcooked and tasteless, sitting in some sort of watery tomato sauce that tasted like it had sugar added, yuck!

The location of the Sebel suites on Viaduct Harbour is fantastic, I'd probably stay again for that reason alone. If you had a harbour view room (unfortunately I didn't snag one) I imagine the outlook would be lovely. My view on the other side was of the city and Skytower. I noticed the noise from the bars and restaurants below but with the windows closed it was very quiet. I couldn't hear any noise from any of the other suites.

There are several restaurants literally on the doorstep when you step out the back door, I particularly liked "Soul" where I enjoyed two fantastic and reasonably priced meals. The hotel is a short walk from Auckland's main attractions and shopping and about 10 minutes walk from the Britomart transit centre. It was about 25 minutes in a taxi from the airport.

The hotel doesn't have its own fitness centre but it's only $8NZ to use the facilities at the Tepid Baths across the street. Unfortunately the Baths will be closed for six months after May 2010 for renovations.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank AussiePomGirl
Write a ReviewReviews (1,165)

Reviewed 28 December 2009

This property is a home away from home. We had a large one bedroom marina view suite, catching all the action on the Quay and in the harbour. It is so well-located one can almost walk to all the neighborhoods. The only niggle is noise. The restaurants below are very popular and the noise can be a problem, especially on Friday & Sat. nights when the bars stay open until early morning. We had room 611, which has a recessed bedroom - a little more quiet.

Great property and good value. Loved the kitchen and washer/dryer!

Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fussylady001
Reviewed 17 December 2009

My husband and I stayed here on arrival to New Zealand. Very clean spacious accommodation in central location. Noise was not a problem for us. Great views over harbour and very helpful staff. Good to venture out of vaiduct harbour as restaurants were good but for more variety there are lovely places in areas nearby. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joella1
Reviewed 14 December 2009

Despite its splendid views and immaculate rooms this hotel was let down by its customer service - a 2star establishment masquerading as a 5star one. Upon our arrival, our first day in New Zealand after travelling across the world, there was no-one to help us drag our heavy suitcases up the hotel steps and we were adivsed that due to an admin error (the booking hadn't been confirmed at their HQ) our room was not available. We were offered a room in another hotel, set further back from the quays! We jumped up and down and when we asked them to contact our agent, Trailfinders, the manager suddenly found that a room was available - and all was well thereafter for that stay!
A month later we returned to Auckland and the Sebel Suites, prior to returning home. Arriving at 2.25pm we were rather annoyed at having to provide ID identification and credit card details yet again (even though we had stayed less than 4 weeks previously), but were stunned to learn that our room was not ready! We were not offered any refreshments whilst we waited over half an hour surrounded by our luggage in the lobby until the room (the same as our previous visit) became ready for occupation.
The following morning we had breakfast delivered to the room. It was cold, stale and unacceptable (we would have complained then, but had to leave on a prebooked excursion). On our final day, despite the fact that we were leaving to cross the world again, we were only offered the public toilets in the hotel in which to freshen up and change (either that or the public baths across the road!). A hotel of this supposed calibre should have superior facilities and a designated room for this purpose.
Also, note that this hotel is situated above a nightclub which springs into life on Saturday evening until the small hours. Unless you are a fan of throbbing drums until 3am, don't stay on Saturday night!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Australian-Fan
Reviewed 1 December 2009

The room was lovely, modern, spacious, good decor witha great bathroom. The location was fantastic, you could not get any closer to the bars/restaurants (yes its loud but you fall asleep okay) Lovely view of the harbour. We stayed at 14 hotels/B&Bs over a 3 week period in NZ and this is the only one that charged us $25 for parking each night (we were there 3 nights) we were not told this when we booked or when we checked in so we were annoyed to get this added to the bill. Especially as we could have parked the car at friends in Auckland we were visiting. They refused to take the car park costs off the bill. Only other whinge is that they advertise the cost of the room but when you check out, add the GST (tax) on top, this is the only hotel out of the 14 hotels that did this (the rest, it was inluced in the advertised cost of room) such a shame as this place could have easlily been given five stars if it wasnt for the car park costs.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lisab80
Reviewed 25 November 2009

I stayed in a Marina Suite room and found it to be fabulous. It was spacious, clean, filled with amenities, and had a spectacular view of the harbor. The front desk staff was extremely friendly and helpful on check-in and check-out. It's one of the friendliest staffs that I've ever dealt with. The hotel is right on the harbor so you just have to walk out of the lobby door to reach several superb restaurants. You also could walk to the Sky Tower and most attractions easily. The parking garage isn't huge, but it's fine. The room had everything you could use, including a washer and dryer, and as I said, the view was fantastic. I noticed that some people had complained about noise at this hotel. My room was on the 2nd floor and I had no issues with bar or harbor noise. It's not a super-quiet location, but it's right on the harbor's restaurant row so a bit of noise is to be expected.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 November 2009

Stayed for 8 nights as part of a long 6 week trip. Accomodation great with laundry facilites which were essential on such a long trip. Staff very polite and helpful. Great view of the Sky Tower. Good location, good restaurants, easy access to harbour. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple