“An Intimate Look at Auckland”

Coast-to-Coast Walkway
Reviewed 4 June 2014

After a 14 hour fligh from the US, I needed to stretch my legs - and what better way to do that than by walking the 16km Coast-to-Coast Walkway. This was fantastic! I felt I was literally walking through the backyards of the locals who live in the diverse neighborhoods I passed through. For the most part, the trail was well marked and easy to follow. When I did lose my way, however, I was never far from a friendly Kiwi willing to point me in the right direction. The parks (domains) were incredible. One Tree Hill was great. I enjoyed watching people play croquet in the neighborhood croquet clubs I passed and was able to stop and enjoy some tasty meat pies with Watties tomato sauce along the way.

4  Thank backpacker31
"city map"
"royal oak"
"starting point"
in 4 reviews
"reasonable level of fitness"
"enjoyable walk"
"volcanic cones"
"manukau harbour"
"worth the effort"

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Went from Onehunga through areas with historic villas and shanties. Great view from One Tree Hill - the hill without the tree. Stopped about half way for lunch and then climbed Mount Eden for another perspective of the city. Nice walk through the Domain, into the city and then on to Viaduct Harbour at the finish. If you've lived in Auckland all your life and you haven't done this before, put it on your bucket list.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

The walk itself would take about only four hours, but stopping at all the points of the interest would make for a wonderful full day trip. The signs are lacking in some parts of the walk, so be sure to have your smartphone with GPS ready.

2  Thank belgiumU
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Downtown Auckland can be quite sleepy on Sundays so this is a perfect way to spend the weekend day as it allows for seeing a lot of landmarks, neighborhoods and parks in combo with getting exercise. We left from the Viaduct and walked east-west to Onehunga where we were lucky enough to have friends pick us up for a return ride. Our trip took about six hours and the walking was not difficult. Being a Sunday we were able to see what happens on an Aucklander's day off. Throughout the various parks we saw all types of sports being played such as cricket, rugby, croquet, and lawn bowling. We listened to bagpipers, heard a Maori men's vocal group and went by a free summer concert in Cornwall Park. Signage can be a bit sketchy along the way but we always found our way and it made it a bit of a treasure hunt too.

1  Thank Melody_440
See more reviews
Reviewed 28 February 2014

This is a great way to get a feel for many neighborhoods of Auckland as well as some of the parks and landmarks. We tend to be fast walkers and it still took us the majority of a day to complete (after a leisurely breakfast). We got off track a few times because the signs were occasionally difficulty to find or the colors were switched indicating which direction on the path (north to south or vice versa) you should be going. This should be obvious, but wearing good walking shoes (like sneakers, not just "city walking" shoes) will make this much more enjoyable.

1  Thank Kristen R