Base Auckland Central Backpackers
SKYCITY Grand Hotel(Auckland Central)
US$184
US$173
  • Pool
Abaco On Jervois(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
US$116
US$267
US$248
US$116
US$92
  • Bar/Lounge
Waldorf Stadium Apartments Hotel(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
US$136
Trip.com
US$168
US$158
  • Free Internet
Tudor Court Motor Lodge(Auckland Central)
US$108
US$96
US$133
US$110
  • Restaurant
Stamford Plaza Auckland(Auckland Central)
US$191
US$135
Hotels.com
1,020 results
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I stayed here firstly in August 2013 and secondly in March 2014. This review covers both stays. Checking in / out takes ages. AGES. They generally have one, maybe two if you're lucky, members of staff on the desk and they take forever checking people in. The lines of people I saw reaching 20-ish were many. The rooms have paper thin walls and I mean paper thin that you can enjoy listening to people having conversations like they're sitting right next to you. This is the same in all rooms and makes getting a good nights sleep impossible. The showers are horrible, it feels like a stream of needles stabbing against your skin plus there are only two showers (for men) per floor. The kitchen is very large which is good although there isn't enough kitchenware for people to use at busy times, so my advice is to eat early. Other than this Base is fine, it is overpriced and you can find cheaper quite easily, but the location is good which is the selling point.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Amanda R, Manager at Base Auckland Central Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you for your Feedback. I appreciate your time and effort to write this review which gives us an idea on how we can improve. Our check in time is at 1pm yes it gets crowded around this time where everyone tries to check in.We have opened 3 counter and also have implement a system where registration cards and photocopies where taken before you hit the counter which cut off waiting time. We are practising weekly audit on our kitchen supplies which allows us to buy items before it runs out. We are working on shower conditions in all level which is a big project for us.Hopefully next time we you visit us all our showers and cubical will impress you.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

I stayed at the Base for 2 weeks while I was looking for a place. I had to extend my stay as I was not able to find a place and there where not more "sanctuary" beds available, so I booked for the mix room. When I arrived to the room there where no lockers for the bags. I went to reception and talked to Varun and he helped me big time by changing my room. He did his best: i was going to leave as I really need to leave my things looked...at the end and thanxs to him everything worked out. He did a great job.

Room Tip: For girls go for the Sanctuary by far is the best.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your feedback. Our frontline team is well trained to look after our guest. I have looked into this "no locker dorm" issue we are working on them. Once again thank you for taking your time to leave us your feedback.

Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

Not impressed with a total lack of windows in the room, which was not meant to be one of the worst rooms.. 6 beds but only 4 (filthy) lockers. We were blessed to have a bathroom in the dorm so didn't have to brave the communal showers/toilets but there was no shower curtain so the bathroom was a paddling pool all day. The smoke (?) alarm malfunctioned and strarted going off every ten minutes for about an hour in the middle of the night, two nights in a row. On the second night someone cane in, looked at it and then shrugged and left. The reception always requires a wait (3 staff 'dealing' with each guest... Too many cooks as nothing gets done very fast!). Internet is $12 a week and works fine so that's good! The level of cleanliness throughout the hostel leaves a lt to be desired but I had a bed for the 4 nights I was there, was able to use the internet and the location is great for the city so there are some silver linings!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank HappyDaysOnHoliday
Amanda R, Manager at Base Auckland Central Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Hi,

Thanks for your review, evidently there were a few problems when you stayed with us, and feedback like this helps bring these kinds of things to our attention. From your description I know exactly which room you were in, and I apologise for the maintenance problems with this room. The fire alarm problem has now been solved and the shower is fixed. We have doubled the number of staff on our maintenance team since when you stayed so that pressing issues such as this can get dealt with immediately.

February is the busiest time of the year for us so naturally waiting times increased, however the situation you describe here is obviously unacceptable. We have implemented new staff training with regard to customer service at reception which has proven to be a success, and this is now part of basic training for all new staff. This means our customer service levels have improved greatly, which is excellent as this is an area upon which we pride ourselves.

I am happy, however, that you did have some positive experiences with our facilities here at Base, our Internet service is consistently reliable, and yes we are blessed with an almost perfect location!

We do hope you come stay with us again, we would love the chance to show you the real Base experience, as opposed to the overall unfortunate and negative one you had previously.

Regards,

Virender Sehgal
Acting General Manager

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Stayed here for one night as a stop over to catch my flight. Staff were very friendly and so helpful, room was clean and tidy. Had a good night sleep. Really enjoyed my stay and will be staying there again when im back in New Zealand.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Lee,

Thanks so much for your review, glad you enjoyed your stay. Our staff love their jobs, and our housekeeping team are incredibly hard working.

Thanks for coming to stay with us, hope to see you again some time soon!

Reviewed 6 March 2014

rooms: dirty, dirty carpet, squeaky beds, poor mattresses, very annoying to get into top bunk. Noisy with thin walls.
no bed lights, full room or nothing.
they have sockets, but not enough and far from the bed.
our 4bed had no windows but a small fridge, which you needed since the one in the kitchen is full.

no free wifi( global gossip)

bathrooms: tiny, dirty, broken, water dripping from the ceiling vents

service: slow, had to wait at least 10 min
before I could check in.
then unfriendly, got the feeling of being meat.

security: annoying, useless card system for elevator, kitchen etc.
not only for your room

didn't really feel secure, but annoyed.

kitchen: oh yeah, there is one. if you want to call it that way.
small
and hardly any usable pans, pots or cooking
utensils.
very dirty, most people don't clean up, in the end no one does.

at main times, no chance to cook since it is completely overrun by people.

not really any big bowls to eat from either, so pans or pots can't get cleaned before eating.

too small fridge

bought my own pan and utensils and cooked always at strange times when there were hardly a person.

gym: haven't been in there, you have to pay
for it too.

can't think of anything
good so far..
i have been in a few base Hostel and in other huge ones as well, but this one is by far the worst.

• Stayed: March 2014

Hi Adrian,

I’m very sorry you did not enjoy your stay at Base Auckland. Over the past few months we have had the time to shut off all the floors one by one, and steam clean every single room so they are as good as new, and we have just received a large order of brand new mattresses to improve our beds and make them much more comfy for everyone. Which type of room did you reserve? We have two different types of 4 bed dorm. One is a budget dorm, which is our cheapest option, and this does not have windows because the rooms are situated on the inside of the building, it is for this reason that these rooms are the cheapest. Our standard 4 bed dorms though do have windows, with great views of Queen Street and the Sky Tower.

We try to provide our guests with the best possible Wifi available, and employing the services of a reliable provider like Global Gossip allows constant and consistent unlimited internet to those who choose to use it, whereas free Wifi services are often very poor, slow and unpredictable. Global Gossip is a renowned Wifi service provider and it is found in a vast amount of hostels and hotels across Australia and New Zealand. The usage rates at our hostel seem to be cheaper than most, and we are always in conversation with Global Gossip about ways in which to improve the service to an even higher standard than it is at present.

In regard to the bathrooms, which floor did you stay on? How exactly were they broken? We have a dedicated maintenance team on site full time, and they are always happy to fix any issues that might arise. As you can imagine, with a hostel as big as ours, unfortunately problems sometimes do occur, but we endeavour to remedy these in the quickest manner possible.

With the volume of people coming through the hostel, the queue at reception does build sometimes. Obviously nobody likes to queue, so we’ve taken this on board and have implemented a number of new changes to our check-in procedure designed to minimize your time waiting in line. This has been a success, and queuing time has dropped significantly, which is something we’re very pleased with.

The card system we have in place is an important facet in preventing crime and ensuring the safety of our guests. The elevators from the ground floor can be used by anyone from the outside, so a swipe card system inside them means that only hotel guests can go their floor, rather than any random person who might walk in off the street. This ensures protection against theft, violence, and any other crimes that hostel guests could otherwise be victims of. This is the same for the kitchen, a swipe card on the door means that people cannot come in from outside and steal food from the fridges.

I am sorry you did not feel that the kitchen facilities were up to your standards. We have a large kitchen space but it appears from your review that at meal times this is not sufficient. We will look into this, and discuss possible ways of expanding or maximizing the space that we have.

I can only apologize once again that you were so disappointed with your stay with us, please contact me directly on my email virender.sehgal@stayatbase.com if you wish to respond to this or discuss this further.

Thanks for your review, it helps us see the areas in which we need to improve.

Virender Sehgal,