“Excellent”

Base Auckland Central Backpackers
Ranked #63 of 114 Speciality Lodging in Auckland
“Excellent”
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Stay here for more than a week. Totally enjoyed the clean room and kitchen. The location is very near Countdown supermatket and lots of interesting places in Aucklamd CBD. Wifi connection is one of the cheapest in town, just $12 per week. Will book again in the future.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Virender S, General Manager at Base Auckland Central Backpackers, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Hi,

Thanks so much for your review. Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, our housekeeping team work very hard to make sure the place is in top shape for everyone, and yes we are lucky enough to be placed right in the centre of town!

Hope to see you again soon.

V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This is my 4th time staying here in the 9 months i have been in the country. I Arrived in October and was put into a 4 share dorm on the 6th floor and was fantastic could not fault it. Staff were attentive, facilities were being upgraded and you could see some results already. my other 2 stays Weren't as great but i assumed it was due to me coming in busy times.
This time however is probably the worse stay i've had here and probably the worse stay ive had in New Zealand. I was put into 1125. basically its like a janitors closet. You cant see the floor once all 4 people with bags have checked in. I asked to be transferred to a room with more space as it turns out the others in that room were playing less than i was and i even paid more the have a better room! On that floor the bathroom was locked so assumed was out of order. The hallways of that block looked like the remnants of a market place with rubbish, dirty clothes and overflowing bins all over the place. The rooms weren't exactly clean either. i could see long hairs on my sheets. The laundry facilities were terrible. almost every drier was broken. paid 16 dollars to dry my clothes and still had wet. The internet clearly has issues as it took me 20 minutes to log into system and only works in certain parts of the building. I had full bars in my room yet no response. I found this odd considering its a city centre location I don't know what has happened to this place it was great in october but now feels run down and not cared for! will not be staying here again

Room Tip: get a room on the 6th floor
Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Virender S, General Manager at Base Auckland Central Backpackers, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
HI,
I am glad to hear you enjoyed your previous stays, however it seems that we let you down on this particular one, apologies for that. Sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with the room, we are of course always glad to change your room if you are not happy, and it looks like that is what we did this time. Our hostel is spread across two buildings so in some areas the rooms vary slightly in size, even though there is the same amount of beds, but we do try our hardest to make them all as spacious as possible. Price variances often occur when people book at different times through different travel agents, but we will generally match travel agent prices when you book at the desk if you can show us that the bed is on sale cheaper with an independent agent.

Our maintenance team has grown and is very busy improving facilities including bathrooms, but if the bathrooms are ever out of order we always put up signs warning you guys. Which floor were you moved to? It would be helpful for us to check this out if there is some kind of unknown problem with this bathroom. Furthermore, our housekeeping team work very hard around the clock to maintain the highest of standards of cleanliness and tidiness in the hotel, they have a strict code to which they must adhere. Unfortunately some guests are messy, but we are proud of our housekeeping staff who are always on the case very quickly. Just as with the room, we are also happy to provide new bedding if there is ever a problem with this.

Our laundry services are provided by a separate company, with whom we have a good relationship. If there is ever problems with the machines we are able to call them out to fix it, and they usually respond in an efficient manner. There are of course hundreds of guests in our hostel, so we need to make sure our laundry is in top condition. Similarly, our Internet service is provided by Global Gossip, a reputable Internet provider across Austalia and New Zealand, and they are always on hand to help us out. Just last week they came and replaced our routers, which was probably a direct result of the trouble you were having when you were here.

Thanks so much for you review, feedback like this helps us pick out the areas in which we need to improve, to make the experience better for everyone.

Please get back to me if you wish to discuss anything further in response to what I’ve said here, my email address is virender.sehgal@stayatbase.com

Thanks again.

V

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Antofagasta, Chile
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Base was our first home in New Zealand, we arrive early in the morning and they were very nice to us. What we like the most were location, is in the middle of everything and the staff, they were always keen in to help and answer all our doubts. The rooms very good and the bathrooms clean, but the kitchen sometimes was full of people, so you have to wait to cook, but was great anyway. 100% recommended!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Virender S, Manager at Base Auckland Central Backpackers, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for choosing Base Auckland for your accommodation. I am happy to hear your feedback on us. Your reviews and suggestions are important to us. I understand you view on our kitchen unfortunately we have one large kitchen for all of our guests therefore it is difficult for us to control the traffic in our kitchen. However we have taken your point and looking into factors to impress you more on your next visit. Thank you for your review.
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This hostel has some really stella points, for example the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful, the showers and the rooms are clean. We haven't regretted spending the extra dollars on the job search membership as it has really helped us first time travellers hit the road running in terms of setting up a bank account and tax numbers, and we already have our first jobs lined up thanks to Ian in the office. It's a welcoming place and I feel like I can walk in with any request or questions. The kitchen is a good size and becomes a melting pot of activity at meal times which can be quite fun, as is the lounge area. The central location excellent too.

However, there are just a few things I'd tell anyone wanting to book here; 1) request a room with a window- the ones without them feel a little cagey and cheap, like you're not getting your money's worth. 2) it really is a hostel for young people. The atmosphere reflects my first year university accommodation in halls, complete with a perpetual feeling of freshers week. This is great if you're into that kind of thing but if you're looking for a place to just get some r&r, the thin walls and constant hive of activity can be grating. But, like I said, if you're looking for an active place with a bit of a buzz then Base is perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for a window room, away from the lifts.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. I am absolutely happy to hear that you had great time with us. Thank you for your review on Job search services and also for your suggestions for other guest. We have taken all your comments seriously and worked on it to impress you more on your next visit.
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I am writing this as someone who also works in reception art a backpackers.

My friend and I travelled to Auckland for a roadtrip from Tauranga and to go for a night out in Auckland City.

We arrived at the backpackers took us a minute to find exactly where to enter the backpackers as the signage did not really direct us easily from queen street.

Reception staff are awesome, outgoing and very friendly! Especially the man that worked on Saturday overnight.

On check in there is a wheel you can spin for $2 and no matter what you win something which was pretty awesome.

I was actually shocked and amazed at how clean and nice the room was and the effort made such as the little shampoo/conditioner/body wash bottles on the bed. makes a difference :)
It was definitely worth the price paid.

The only things I can think of that I wasn't too amazed by was that there was no window that opened to get fresh air to come through although there was air conditioning.
The shower was either scolding hot or too cold. When I stripped the bed the next morning I was disgusted to see the condition of the mattress I slept on, completely stained all over by, from several occasions. I would have not willingly slept on that even with the mattress protector.
Lastly we have to walk through a tiny room where the communal toilets are to reach the kitchen, the smell was revolting which also wandered throughout the kitchen
Recommendations I would give to improve the hostel would be to replace the mattresses and maybe escort the guests to their room and show the guests where everything is in the hostel to save us from having to come to reception multiple time asking where facilities were.

Overall we had an awesome stay and would definitely come back and stay if the time arises.

Nicole and Jess

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your feedback as we are stoked by your review on us. Unfortunately our building do not have open windows which is an infrastructural problen that we can not fix. I have addressed your suggestions to our team on mattress, shower and customer service. We have taken all our suggestions on board and working our way to impress you more on your next visit. Visit us again.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Base was my first destination in Auckland once I arrived in New Zealand. The location is awesome, can't argue against that. Just when you arrive and are looking for first orientation you might be better with some more familiar hostels, but that's up to everybody's preferences.
The hostel is huge and so there are heaps of people, so you are actually never on your own. But in fact the atmosphere in the lounge is more like a waiting hall than anything else but suppose it is what you make out of it.

In my opinion it was just a bit too dirty and unfortunate that you can't open any windows unless you stay in a windowless room. You can't even control the air-condition in the rooms separately which was inconvenient several times.

However the staff was always friendly and helpful and I felt comfortable with any requests I had, just not Job Search New Zealand. I do not know if something's changed but it wasn't helpful at all and more a waste of money as you can get all necessary documents easily on your own. Jobs were only available on Facebook, so no working database to place people somewhere, you had to reply to Facebook posts. Not what I am looking for, when paying a membership fee. Hopefully that changed.

I recommend this hostel to people with short stays (1-2 nights), maybe I just stayed too long. :) (9 nights)

Room Tip: Get a room on higher floors (i.e. 9) - only 6 bed dorms and you'll have a nice view too. :)
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Virender S, General Manager at Base Auckland Central Backpackers, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback, It is really valuable for us as it helps us identify those areas in which we can improve.

Glad you enjoyed the location, we are blessed with a central situation close and easily accessible to the whole city. We have a big hostel so there is of course always people to hang out with! I am disappointed, however, that you were not satisfied with the lounge room. We have plenty of comfy sofas and a pool table, and we have recently installed a big screen TV for everyone to watch sports and movies on those chill days.

Housekeeping works very hard to keep the cleanliness up to hotel standards, and we are currently going through the floors one by one spring cleaning while it’s quiet. As for the air conditioning, it is unfortunately centrally controlled by the building owners, as we share the building with other businesses. We have been liaising with them regarding this and now believe we have reached a happy medium, and everyone seems to be satisfied with the temperature at the moment. We will of course change this throughout the year according to the weather.

Job Search is a very popular service, and we have had some great success stories especially in the last six months or so. The Facebook page is a great way to view some of the work available, but we do have our own website as well with plenty more listings on it. You get a link to this online jobs database when you sign up. The beauty of the Job Search package also is that you can call or email any time no matter where you are in New Zealand and we will should have a hook up there, and if not we’ll try as hard as we can to find one for you.

I hope you will come stay with us again, and we can make sure you get the full base experience!

Thanks again for the Review. 
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed here for 3 days whilst in Auckland and it was a great stay. Remember to pass by their travel booth on 3rd floor next to reception. Josh the travel manager is awesome and will help you plan your trip in NZ. Also, most bookings comes with a discount!

• Stayed June 2014
Amanda R, General Manager at Base Auckland Central Backpackers, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Hi Jesper,

Thanks for your review. Really happy you found everything you needed here, the staff really enjoy their jobs so they'll be glad to know you liked our place so much.

Hopefully see you again!