“Location was good, that was it”

Base Auckland Central Backpackers
Ranked #62 of 108 Speciality Lodging in Auckland
Seattle, WA
“Location was good, that was it”
Reviewed 3 September 2009

I arrived on a Thursday night. My first room initially didn't have a bed made. I switched rooms and it was a bad choice. Thursday night was ok, had to leave because the kids were playing a drinking game. Friday was horrible. People were loud, drunk and I think were making out in the bed next to me. Terrible end of my stay in NZ.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank lafortress

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed 11 August 2009

stayed at base in the sanctuary girls only section. showers & common lounges could have been cleaner, but rooms were warm & welcoming. very social atmosphere, especially at night. great service and amenities. the bar downstairs is packed and you get great specials staying at base. perfect location in auckland. tons of computers at global gossip inside.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
Poitiers, France
Reviewed 21 July 2009

rooms were ok
kitchen was crap
crazy security cards
good location
massive hostel not my style, but i had a good time there

• Stayed February 2008, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2009

Booked this travelling alone and nearly 50 so I felt really old amongst the rest of the travellers there. Room was clean and tidy, had fridge and en-suite, though you had to keep the shower tap pressed in to keep the water running??? The place is bang in the centre of Auckland, so if you don't mind hostels this place is Ok.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank welshmechanic
Hobart, Tasmania
Reviewed 27 March 2009

I chose to stay with Base Backpackers all around NZ north island because their website showed clean, safe backpackers in each area I was after and I know (having working the tourism industry) that what's shown in brochures and on websites are usually not what you get, but I felt it was totally trustworthy based on all of my NZ experiences.
Auckland was my first stop after hours in airports and on flights and I was glad to easily find it as I had never travelled alone nor backpacked before. Great location. I stayed in a Sanctuary room and it was fine. Not a huge room for 6 people but I had a bed, somewhere to put my suitcase and access to a shower, and that's fairly good for NZ$30 I think. I met lots of great people at this hostel - staff were great (reception was busy but they worked hard to service customers fast in every case) and of course my favourites were the bar staff - I kept them on their toes til the early hours on all nights I stayed. The people sharing my dorm were varied and changed nightly, but never had any trouble sleeping and bed and room was definitely clean. A room mate had trouble with the lift once and wasn't too impressed but hey, that's what makes travelling an experience. You can't always trust machinery! As a hostel, I can't pick faults. Kitchen area is huge and well stocked with all that you need, and made for a great first experience for both backpacking and for my future stays with Base hostels.

Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
Scotland
Reviewed 9 January 2009

Base ACB is well located in the heart of Auckland, which was the appeal to us when we booked our private en-suite room. Not particularly cheap for a backpackers the room was priced in the region of NZ$90 per night.

After a long flight from the UK we were looking forward to showering, changing and getting some air, we did not achieve any of this...To get into the building we had to first get through the thick cloud of passive smoke, not pleasant. The reception is large, but with only 2 staff on duty and a queue the check-in process was slow and inefficient.

Both the room and en-suite were small and dark and in need of refurbishment. The grout and shower curtain were mouldy, the bedding was stained and peppered with cigarette burns, the carpet was stained and hadn't been vacuumed recently and the sole chair in the room had been picked at by previous guests leaving a gaping wound of exposed foam.

Two hours after we checked we were back in reception, this time to check out. The check out process was no quicker than check in and because we hadn't booked directly with ACB we were not entitled to a refund in any part. The staff didn't query our premature departure, which isn't professional. We secured a one bed suite in nearby Chiffley Suites for a mere NZ$30 more per night - see separate review.

The accommodation is probably suitable for younger backackers (i.e. school leavers) but it certainly wasn't suitable for us. I travel regularly on business and maintain that cleanliness and professionalism ought never to be compromised, no matter how budget the accommodation; Base ACB did not meet the mark.

• Liked — Location central to main sights - Sky Tower and Harbour.
  • Disliked — Urgently in need of refurbishment and staff training.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank mckaykarenj
Australia
Reviewed 24 November 2008

When my partner and I arrived we were told that there was someone staying in our room. I let the front desk know over the phone that my partner and I would be arriving at 3am. Despite this forewarning, our room was given away. We then asked about other places we could stay. The people at the front desk gave us no help. Their answer was, “there are lots of places around”. With no map, my partner and I were walking around the city at 3am looking for another cheap place to stay. Luckily, we found another great place for an extra $20 a night. We then headed back to ACB and stayed with them for the other 2 days. The ensuite room was so small. Very expense for the price. The previous hotel we stayed at was 5 times the size for only an extra $20! The showers provide you with a quick burst of water and you have to keep pushing the button to get more water. The place was dirty, staff were rude, and the rooms were very small. Too expensive and not worth your time.

• Disliked — Size of the room
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)