“Ideal place for short stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of YHA Auckland City

YHA Auckland City
Ranked #20 of 108 Speciality Lodging in Auckland
Auckland, New Zealand
“Ideal place for short stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I was in this YHA at Liverpool Street. The facilities were awesome and so were the staff. This guy Venk helped me a lot and made me feel very comfortable. Overall it was a very good experience and it did feel like home.

Room Tip: Just book your rooms in advance otherwise you might miss out on a good place to stay.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank AnvayKumar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Stayed here 2 weeks and I would have stayed longer, but the YHAs Auckland only allow you to stay in both Hostels altogether for 4 weeks. Overall the place is very clean and tidy. The kitchen is very big, but the common room adjacent to the kitchen is a bit small. When I stayed there, the common room and the tv room were very cold at night. The TV room did get a heating when I left.

The Wifi of the YHAs is provided in cooperation with Telecom. There is a Telecom and a YHA Wifi Network throughout the hostel. That means if you have a Telecom Sim Card and you are on their 20$ a month plan, you can connect two devices to the Telecom Network. I had a YHA Membership as well, so altogether I could have been able to connect 3 devices(!). Daily data limit on both networks is 1GB, but that is more than enough. During peak hours at night (6-8pm) when there are a lot of people in the common room, the network has short outages of maybe 2-5 minutes, but any other time it works flawlessly.

Staff is very helpful. One morning I brought 2 of the 3 toasters to the reception, as they were not working anymore. Shane did give me in return the staff toaster. I was supposed to stay 2 nights in a 2 bunk bed room, as all the cheaper 6 bunk bed rooms were sold out. I did get upgraded to a double bed room, as my supposed to be female room mate didn’t want to have a male room mate.

Most of my time I stayed in a 6 bunk bed room. These are really small and crowded. I can confirm that the place suffers from a serious damp problem. It's probably okay in the summer but during my stay near enough every room had a nasty musty smell. There was a fungus building up on the wall and on the ceiling, but the cleaning crew was aware of that and removed it one day with chlorine.
There aren’t any heaters in the rooms, so in Winter it can get quite cold. You can always ask at reception for more blankets though. I had 3.
You are NOT able to stick your feet out through the handlebars at the end of the bunk beds. That is really important too me since I am 6”6’ or 2.01m tall, and I never fit into any regular beds.
I payed less than 20$ for the night, so I can’t really complain.

Overall I can recommend staying in this hostel. If you can choose between YHA Auckland City and International, go to the International.

Napier, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Great French café down the street amongst all the other food outlets. Easy to walk down to the bus/train station. Be prepared to hear young drunks in the early hours on the streets. Very pleasant staff.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

This YHA is off queen street. Location is very hand u can walk everywhere. Staff is helpful. Rooms are small. This is another YHA with the charging plug issues.so there are 2 plugs in rooms. Now people carry at-least 3 chargeable device with them. Why cant you put a extension cable in room.

Kitchen is big with heaps of pots and pan, cutlery.

Room Tip: carry a extension cable if possible !!!
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

I was leaving the next day for Australia, and had no printout of my visa or return air ticket.
I wasn't able to print them out on my tablet. The staff at the desk suggested I e-mail them
the info and they could print the visa and ticket out, which they did. Problem solved. When
I'm in Auckland, I always stay at YHA City for just this reason. My heroes.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

I'm not going to go on about the size but for a twin room you would think for two people staying in there, there's room for luggage? No. The designated shelving space didn't help the situation

NO PLUGS! Look can understand the yha NZ does have a Eco friendly thing to abide by, but try charging a camera, two phones, an iPad? I had to use the facilities outside our door with maguyver trick to actually sustain some electricity.

Showers were untidy and I was shocked as the YHAs I've been in and especially this one over the years, it's very clean and tidy. Standards are slipping a bit!

Shame you don't have extra pillows either. I had a FLAT PILLOW. YES FLAT. It was very uncomfortable to sleep on caused neck pain later.

Pros - great view from the sun deck and great staff
Cons - no plugs, showers unclean and linen that should of been replaced 20 years ago

Room Tip: It's best to travel single in a dorm than getting a private room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

YHA Auckland City is all right. The room we stayed in was ok - spacious enough for two people. I loved the very big window. Overall, it's perfect for a maximum of a 3 night's stay because of its location and facilities.

There were only two things that I didn't quite like about this hostel:-
i) It can be a bit noisy at night as you could hear people talking / making noises outside. But it can be managed. Just close the window :D
ii) The common bathroom. Both men and women had to share two bathrooms on each floor. I had a funny (a bit scary actually) experience while I was showering during our stay. Someone knocked (banged, more accurately) the door as he shouted something - he left his shampoo in the bathroom. I guess, maybe it was his favourite shampoo or something as he seemed so insistent to get it back. :D

Otherwise, the hostel was ok. Check in was super fast, lovely people. Just maybe to the YHA loyal guests, like me, out there - you may not be that impressed with this hostel. I'm giving it a 3/5 because I believe the hostel must work harder to deliver at least the same or better YHA experience just as its counterparts are doing.

Room Tip: The bathrooms are located next to the elevator on each floor I think - pretty far from the rooms. Br...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends