“Nice Place Could Be Better.”

YHA Auckland International
Reviewed 25 November 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 5 days. Great location. Room was smelly. The internet service could be better. And staff should SMILE!!! But above all very handy to have YHA there, and some other YHAs are great.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 November 2010

We are a middle aged couple who have returned from 3 weeks travel on the north island of New Zealand. We stayed in a number of YHAs, and also other accommodation, and our reviews of YHAs will be based on TWIN ROOM accommodation. We cannot comment on dormitory accommodation as we did not stay in any.

In the YHA, Tturner Street in Auckland, we booked a twin room with share facilities.

This YHA has a 5 star rating from Qualmark NZ. We assume this is because it has disabled facilities, reading lights for each bed, and has paid staff to clean the kitchen and public areas.

As with all the YHAs we stayed in, the rooms, corridors, bathrooms and public areas were all kept clean.

However....... the number of toilets and showers to the number of guests is woefully inadequate.

The price for staying in a Twin Room with share facilities, as outlined on a notice in the foyer next to reception is $NZ99 per room, or $NZ90 per room if a YHA member. Luckily we had visited Lastminute.com earlier in the day and found this same room type on offer for $NZ54.00 (minus credit card booking fee of $NZ5.50 to Lastminute. com). We are glad we only paid that amount as it is way over the top to expect budget travellers to pay $NZ99 or $NZ90 per night to stay in a very basic room and have to walk a long way down a corridor to the handful of showers and toilets available for use. The hostel accommodates approximately 160 people; to sacrifice one room a the far end of each corridor to enable two extra showers and toilets would make staying there much more comfortable and worth the money charged!

I noted that a young lady was quoted $NZ25 per night in an 8 bed dorm or $NZ28 per night in a 4 bed dorm.

The staff at Reception were very pleasant and accommodating.

The beds were tubular metal, with spring bases but did have a proper mattress, not a piece of foam. The pillows were very thin. There are eight free parking spaces at the side of the building which were a bonus.

I would not recommend this YHA to older travellers unless you wish to purchase a room with ensuite (and those prices are well over $NZ100 per night). It is possible to find accommodation in 3 star hotels eg All Seasons Auckland for $NZ85 per night with twin beds (ensembles), a compact but adequate kitchen and ensuite bathroom. This is where we would stay next time in Auckland.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LydiaNSW
Reviewed 21 January 2010

This is probably one of the worst accommodation establishments i have ever stayed at. The service was shocking, the room was of an avaerage standard, there were not enough showers for the amount of people staying at the hostel and generally had a poor stay here. I had personal property go missing from the room, neither the staff at reception or higher management were interested in this matter and would not do anything to resolve the issue. The staff in general seemed as if they did not want to be there, were rather unhelpful and one in partiulcar quite rude. I understand this is budget accommodation, but people are still paying to stay here and therefore still deserve quailty service. There are plenty of other accommodation establishments in and around Auckland City and I would definatley choose one of them the next time we visit.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 January 2010

Beware of Bed Bugs!!
I have been bitten from my neck down to my toes. the bugs didn't miss my hand either.
The blanket is dirty and it's where the bugs invested.
Cleanliness is very poor and noise is unberable. Toilet & shower room are dirty and will make you feel like showering i sewer.
Service is poor and slow.
The distance is far from CBD center (not fun to walk on a very steep hill)

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with friends
2  Thank Seiryra
Reviewed 5 December 2009

I would have liked to stay here, but when I turned up I was told that the HI booking system had overbooked the hostel. I had been moved to the City YHA (which doesn't seem to be well reviewed on Tripadvisor), which is a bit dodgy.
There was no email or phone call to advise me of this change. If there had been, I might have stayed at City YHA, but as I had just walked past it and down the massive steep hill with my 20 kg suitcase, I wasn't about to try the reverse trip. There was no offer of a lift or any help at all, really.
As the HI booking system is different from the YHA system, I as still trying to get my booking fee refunded...

Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 September 2009

Out of the three, this was the best, sad it was only one night and I didn't have my luggage with the closthes.

The room was quiet and I could tell was pretty laid back. Front desk was ok. Security was good. Wish I could've stayed longer, next time I'm in Auckland I'd stay there despite location.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 June 2009

As you would expect the facilities at the Auckland International YHA are very good. A large, clean & well equipped kitchen, internet (expensive, go to the internet café around the corner on Queens Street), TV room, laundry, book exchange & travel centre. It is centrally located at the top of Queens Street a 15 min walk from the harbour. Supermarkets are about a 20 minute walk away which isn’t too bad. The dorms are clean and are a decent size. I stayed in the 8 bed dorm and the 4 bed dorms on the 1st floor. The 8 bed dorm and the 4 bed dorm were priced $23 & $26 respectively. The bathrooms are clean as well. The problem at this hostel, as has been commented on in previous reviews, it that any dorm/room that faces onto the street has to contend with the boy racers who gather on any evening (Fri/Sat) outside the hostel. With their very loud stereos and exhausts makes sleeping difficult but, you can’t blame the hostel. All in all, a decent hostel and try to get a room which doesn’t face the street or, if not, try the Auckland City YHA 5 mins up the road.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo