“Okay stay at Duxton”

Ranked #25 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Sydney, Australia
“Okay stay at Duxton”
Reviewed 10 December 2007

My daughter and I stayed at the Duxton for 5nights. Our room was on the 9th floor and consisted of a King bed, kitchenette and balcony. The balcony view looked out to the city. Apart from the coffee/tea facilities, we only used the stove once when we dined in. The kitchen items were all in working order and appeared hardly used but most importantly, clean. My daughter used the spotlessly clean microwave most of the time. The washing machine/dryer combination was not the best invention and did not function as you would expect from a conventional washing machine and dryer. I had to drape our clothes around the room to be properly dried. I would suggest installing a separate washing machine and dryer.

The bed was comfortable and there was plenty of spare pillows and blankets. The tv was old and could do with a makeover. The room was spotlessly cleaned daily. The bathroom was clean and the complimentary toiletries (used by my daughter) were replaced daily.

The carpets could do with a bit of steam clean but it did not matter as we were hardly in the room during our stay. My main gripe with the property would have to be the noisy and outdated air-con unit in the room! Having the unit on is very noisy but the room can get uncomfortably hot and stuffy if the unit is not turned on (and this was winter in NZ). Fortunately, we were on the higher floor so we could open our curtains to let some air in. On the last day, as I checked the room before leaving, I found that a pipe (located behind the curtains) which runs from the air-con unit which pump/expel air (from inside) outside, had fallen off from what appeared to be an ineffective masking tape job (attaching the pipe to the air-con unit), from the air-con unit. I'm not sure how long the pipe had been detached from the air-con unit as its placement (behind curtains) is not visible and would not be seen unless you're on floor level looking for something. The noisy air-con unit and masked tape pipe is hardly something you'd expect from a hotel which rates itself as a 5star hotel!

During our stay, the swimming pool was out of order and is very very small (the pictures on the site made it look a lot bigger). The fitness centre is also very small and the machines are outdated although in reasonably working order. As the hotel is situated on a hill, we got our exercise from walking up the hiill to the hotel. We did not have a problem with using the hotel's carpark although the parking bays can be a bit tight for larger vehicles. There are also public car parks around the vicinity.

There is a park next to the hotel which is useful for those with young children and is relatively safe for use during the day.

We did not have a problem with the staff. We would stay at the hotel again if they replace the noisy air-con units.

• Liked — Comfortable rooms (except for the noisy air-con unit)
  • Disliked — Noisy air-con unit
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank Sarah078

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Toowong, QLD
Reviewed 8 October 2007

Check in:

Service was supposed to be 'professional' but really came across as being aloof.

Room 906:

+ives:

Excellent blockout curtains

-ives:

Small in-room aircon unit - very noisy.
Shower screen leaked really badly.
Bathroom smelled like bleach.
There was mould in the basin plug fitting.
The basin plug didn't seal properly.
The shower rose was grubby and the fitting was damaged. Bedding had cigarette burns in it.
Pillows were terrible and, with only one spare pillow in the wardrobe, options were limited.
Windows were grubby.

Overall the room needed a major facelift to live up to the 5* rating The Duxton awarded itself.

Restaurant:

Service was really excellent for dinner. A small problem with the way our steak was cooked was resolved with professionalism and tact.

Service for Breakfast was lack-lustre. We arrived at the front desk and the waiter was chatting away with the chef. After about 20 seconds he realised we were standing there and caught himself from loudly swearing once he realised we were standing there. He asked me if I would like some toast but totally failed to ask my fiance if she would like some. Food was standard full breakfast fare.

Check out:

Filled in the room survey with comments similar to this but the checkout staffer opened up the survey and didn't acknowledge any of the points I raised. I suspect she just filed it in the bin.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jaredmorgs

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

uk/nz
Reviewed 7 September 2007

Stayed on the friday night that G&R were playing in the city.

This was supposed to be a 5* hotel and when we got to our room it smelt of stale smoke and industrial airfreshner.
Also small things like the carpet had stains and the phone was grubby having had half a sticker ripped off of it. We complained, but we were not able to change room. Also when we left they tried to charge us a parking fee. Definately not 5*.

Stayed June 2007
1 Thank sjkinger
Hamilton
Reviewed 14 June 2007

Stayed in their brand new renovated suite. Very contemporary modern design. Even had a spa which was great. Loved the views of park which is very unusual for a city centre hotel. Even room had couple of nice and modern LCD TVs. Checkin staff were great and very helpful. We did not get time to dine in the restaurant however had a breakfast the next morning which was very nice. Also enjoyed the jacuzzi with good views of the park. About 20 minutes walk to the water front but walking to the city was not bad at all, however on the way back I recommend catching a taxi because its quite steep at a few places when walking up the hill (or may be we ate too much at a water front cafe ;-)

• Liked — Quiet location in city
  • Disliked — Walking up the hill when returning from city
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank elf_1304
New Zealand
Reviewed 4 June 2007

Booked a special night for my husbands birthday and booked the delux spa room.......
Check in staff very pleasent, even though they were dealing with a customer who had 'slept in' till 3pm and of course was being charged for an extra night accomodation, but they did not make a scene.
Room was nice - but when it came to use the spa......it did not work. A call to reception and within minutes two staff were there to check it out. After a couple of minutes in the 'pump house' they managed to crank it up for a second or two but it sounded like a tractor in a cake tin. Without any fuss, a new room was offered there on the spot, and within a minute or two one of the staff was back with new room keys and escorted to our new room which had everthing working perfectly. The views across the park were nice and no building 'in your face' in that part of the hotel. The check out staff was extremely pleasant and friendly. A good place for a night or two and a few minutes walk to town, but far enough away to be very quiet........ and I know why the guy slept in - the clock had stopped and was stuck on 10 to 10................

• Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank hangar2jo
Papamoa, New Zealand
Reviewed 15 May 2007

My husband took me to this hotel for my birthday and had booked a pamper package for two nights. Within this we had two nights in a spa suite, complimentary chocolates, sparkling wine, molton brown products and breakfast each morning.

The location of the hotel is great on the outskirts of the city centre within walking distance of Queen St but without all the associated city noise of traffic and nightclubs and people. It also overlooks the lovely Myers Park.

On check-in the girl acted like she couldn't care less that we were there and she was very off hand when we asked questions. However, the valet parking guy couldn't have been more helpful. The guy behind the bar was also very nice when we went down for a drink before dinner.

When we got to our room there was someone there delivering our wine, chocolates and molton brown pack so points for that. The second night though we had to ring and request it.

The room itself is nice and big with a little sitting area at the end by the balcony which in our case overlooked Myers Park. The balcony is reasonably big but doesn't have any outdoor furniture.

The bed was a proper kingsize which was nice and had clean sheets and duvet on them but the pillows have seen better days and need replacing immediately.

The tv was pretty cheap too and when we watched one of the in-house movies the sound quality was terrible.

One thing that was missing from the room was a bedside clock so if you were there on business you would have to rely on something else for an alarm.

The little kitchenette area was great and if you were there for a week it was more than adequate to prepare a basic evening meal.

The bathroom was nice and big and was clean with a good range of amenities. We both had a spa bath and it was divine!

Now, the air-conditioning - this was a true disaster. I'm not sure what happened but when they built the hotel they forgot to put it in!! Funny when you think of it as Auckland is terribly humid during the summer months. They have made a concession and put what I expect was a portable air-con unit in our room. However, it didn't do anything at all like a proper air-conditioner and we ended up sleeping with the doors open as it was hot inside even in May.

Breakfast one morning was also a bit of a disaster. I had ordered eggs benedict and I'm not sure what happened but I ended up with grilled eggs benedict - the sauce was like grilled cheese and the egg yolks were hard. Personally if I was the chef or waitstaff I would not have brought it to the table but they did! I was so hungry and it had taken so long I ate what I could as I couldn't be bothered waiting for another one.

We also had a room service meal and this arrived promptly, was cooked properly and was delicious.

Overall, would I stay here again - probably. The room itself was one of the nicer ones I've stayed in and we might pack a fan next time we go!

• Liked — the location and spa bath
  • Disliked — the air-conditioning and dis-interested check-in staff
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank Lottie1
wellington
Reviewed 9 April 2007

Lets start with the ok things:

- good location. Not too central, so feasible to park at the hotel and not pay for parking.
- Next to a park and a leafy street so reasonably quiet
- room has a balcony to step out onto and view city (we were on level 8 of 10 level building)
- has a small kitchen and washing machine (however judging by the pristine state, they have never been used much in the 10 or so year lifetime of the hotel). And I had no plans to use them...but they are there.
- I actually appreciated that it just had a small foyer and check in area - good to see my money not wasted on such functions
- interesting area of town in the evening; so many asian restaurant to choose from, and lots of pubs etc within near walking distance. Felt like you were in Seoul!
- Shower fine, and bathroom generally ok
- room was a good size

Now the not so ok things:

- the price - $140 per night for a standard room was too much for what you got. Hotels in central Sydney cost marginally more, but are much better!
- the room had a worn used feeling to it. Lots of bland decor that was scuffed etc. Room had the feeling of being on it's last legs before a do up. Cheap little TV
- no air conditioning! just a noisy portable unit you set and controlled. So room temperature very variable - but mainly just too hot! I guess when they built the hotel 10 years ago 28oC 100% humidity weather didn't exist?
- the sheets/bedding and towels! This was the worst thing. The sheets were just the nastiest things I've seen ever! Even budget hotels do better than this. The transparent pillowcase was so thin that I could easily spot the detritus left on the pillow from previous users - Eeek! Sheets were similar levels of cheapness. Duvet was nasty and pilled. Really had the sense of lots of other people having been here before you...
- bathroom towels were thin and cheap.
- bed/mattress was old and so too soft and flabby
- shower leaked all over the floor so flooded bathroom after each shower.
- no demister on the mirror - so foggy
- oh enough!

• Liked — Free parking
  • Disliked — thin sheets and towels, and soft flabby bed, with dirty pillows and cases
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple