Amora Hotel Auckland
SKYCITY Grand Hotel(Auckland Central)
US$220
US$166
Hilton Auckland(Auckland Central)
US$313
US$287
  • Restaurant
Cordis, Auckland by Langham Hospitality Group(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
US$159
US$124
  • Restaurant
Grand Millennium Auckland(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
US$137
US$116
Hotels.com
SKYCITY Hotel(Auckland Central)
US$155
US$137
  • Restaurant
Waldorf Stadium Apartments Hotel(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
US$127
US$114
Trip.com
  • Fitness centre
  • Free Internet
Rydges Auckland(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
US$188
US$135
Hotels.com
Hotel DeBrett(Auckland Central)
US$232
US$210
  • Breakfast included
Crowne Plaza Auckland(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
US$136
US$131
  • Room Service
US$228
US$212
1,062 results
All reviewsspa bathmyers parkgreys avetree lined streetwashing machineaotea centrek roadsky towerqueen streetsmall balconyquiet locationcentral citydeluxe roomnice roomwould stay againnew zealandfull kitchen
Reviewed 20 August 2012

This is one of our favourite places to stay (in our own town!) for a special occasion and I was excited to be visiting as it has been a while since we last stayed (and since my last review).

Once again, we chose to book the room with the double spa bath. We opted to call the hotel directly and quoted some online prices/sites to them and secured the lowest price. Remember that sometimes sites do not show availability as they get allocated only a few rooms to sell at times.

The good points:

Check in was a breeze with very friendly staff. I felt welcome and they seemed relaxed. Pleased to see the check in area was tided up as it was strewn with pamplets and papers last time. Pleased to have a room on the 8th floor overlooking the park (we had forgotten to request) and also found out that all rooms are now non smoking, which, for us, is great. The spa bath never disappoints. A huge bath that more than adequately fits two and you can even move the TV over so you can both lie lazily watching a movie if wanted. Very, very nice.

The highlight of this trip was taking the plunge and ordering room service. We both ordered the Rib Eye steak main with hand cut fries, mushroom, grilled tomato and a bearnaise sauce. One medium and one well. Both arrived within 20 minutes, hot, cooked to perfection and melted in our mouths. It was so good that we filled out an appreciation card straight away. It was THE BEST room service steak I have ever had. The hand cut fries were delicious as well.

Pleased to see the restaurant looking so fantastic, we did not eat there but will if we visit again as it is welcoming and looks like a restaurant should.

The bad points

The original booking was a bit frustrating. Although we got there in the end, and for a good price, our first two calls resulted in the hotel asking us to call back as they were busy. When we called back, the deal we wanted, even after we had ask them to reserve, had gone (the spa package) so we ended up with just the room.

Our room was 817 and our door was directly opposite the service elevator which meant we could hear trolleys etc constantly coming up and banging around etc. It did not bother us, but may bother people who are light sleepers.

Am starting to get a wee bit disappointed with the room which hasn't changed in many years. It is still really downtrodden and there was even candle wax from a previous occupier around the edges of the bath. The furniture is shabby, the decor bland. The spa bath surround is stained. Cosmetic, yes, but seriously, this hotel would be awesome if the room was spruced up - does not befit it's status as the only hotel in Auckland with a spa bath in the room!

Check out was a nightmare. Rude check out staff, especially when questioned why, when we paid for the cooked breakfast, a drink was not included and was going to cost $9 each on top of the breakfast. The "juice" was watered down and only about 150ml. They made a big deal of us in front of other guests, even though we were just asking about the extra charge. Only got annoyed after they did this.

Overall though, I still like this hotel. I just wish they would spend some money and renovate the more expensive rooms.

Room Tip: Check to make sure you are not situated opposite service elevators.
5  Thank GJ E
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I recently stayed at the Amora Hotel for a 3 day conference. I was impressed by the quality of the rooms and the facilities provided. Not only cooking facilities, but a washing machine & dryer.
Everything went smoothly from the staff looking after us for the Conference to the Restaurant Manager accommodating our meal requirements.
Good value for money & would definately return back.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 August 2012

My wife and I enjoyed our weekend in the city staying at Amora Hotel. I have to say reading some of the reviews on this site increased our anxiety levels (price should not always drive a accomodation purchase) BUT I want to give credit to the hotel as we had a really good sleep in a clean room and importantly to us, we found everyone tried hard to make our stay a pleasant one.
The location is convenient to Queen Street and the restaurant breakfast good though a little on the pricey side in my opinion.
One comment for the benefit of the Amora Hotel management: be pro-active and respond professionally to some of the criticism of your hotel. You deserve the opportunity as I think the Amora has a lot of potential and your staff did everything right, contrary to the experience of some guests on this site.

1  Thank 1811027Stephen
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We had one night in a spa room overlooking Myers park. The room was a bit tired but quite adequate for the price paid.It was a good size with room enough for you not to have to put your bags on the sofa or chairs. It was quiet, clean enough,the king size bed was appreciated and having a kitchen was great too.A well stocked fridge too.Plenty of hot water for the bath which was very relaxing. The extra blanket we requested was delivered immediately. Pity the extra blankets are made of nylon.... thats tacky! We always prefer extra blankets to using extra heating.Surely this is a more economic option. Also really appreciated the later checkout time. Have stayed here before, will stay again.

Reviewed 13 August 2012

as mentioned below my mum saw the great deal on Grabone and paid for 2 giving me a night for my special 21st birthday to spend with my partner. i called before hand to book and explained the situation that the voucher will be in my mums name but the resveration under mine, the first lady i spoke to was really rude and snappy with me but booked it fine no issues.

my mum then called a week later to explain that she was going to be leaving the country while i will be staying and offered to give her credit card details as security (they wouldnt accept my debit card) and we confirmed again about the voucher/booking aparntely this lady was very nice and helpful so i was very excited on saturday on our way to enjoy my special birthday night away.

all of that went right out the door when the surley, rude, mumbley member of staff at the counter nearly refused our booking because i didnt have the voucher printed. i was really embarassed because i didnt think to get that off mum before she left the country however i explained everything to him and showed him my booking confirmation and explained it was meant to be all sorted given it wasnt in my name. anyway he demanded i emailed him my booking confirmation (um hello it was right in front of him!) and simply quoting the voucher number wasnt good enough.

OK well finally got through that and kept positive we got to the room and its actually pretty nice the bed was comfy and i really enjoyed the spa bath, had to keep the ranchslider door closed though because the pool was right below us and you could hear kids screaming until 10pm. apart from that we noticed the room made really weird/loud noises every so often like an extractor fan would start up for a min then stop, luckily didnt do it while we were sleeping!

The next morning i called reception to confirm that we would be ok with the free breakfast seeing as my reservation had been stuffed up and what the deal was with the free bubbly. Well must have been the same a/hole that checked me in because he literally snapped at me didnt i see the wine bottle in the fridge in the room. oh yeah saw that including the mini bar fridge card which showed the stock and price of the same so forgive me for not realising without being told.

the guy who was sorting breakfast was the only happy/friendly member of staff, he explained there was a bit of a wait for a table and offered to call me at the room once we could come down so we headed back and after being gone for 7mins neither of our key cards would work! so back to the 'lovely' guy at reception who suggested i be more careful in handling the card and never offered an apology .. wow

Breakfast was pretty good im not a picky eater but even the mister enjoyed it, nice to have a little coffee canister at the table and a good selection of the continental table. we made the point to quickly pack and get out of there, despite the fact the package included at late check out.

waited about 20mins downstairs with one guy to tend to the que of people checking in/out didnt get more than a grunt except to say i still needed to email them the grabone voucher despite it being paid for, the voucher number quoted, ive already stayed, the booking was in my name, i provided my photo ID AND provided the credit card details.

never been so glad to get home i wish i had never gone it really put a dampner on the celebrations and its obvious that people who are taking advantage of a cheap deal are going to get cheap crappy service so my suggestion is to not offer discounts if you cant muster up enough energy to put on a smile for people who are PAYING you for the service.

i am never one to complain about crap service, im not picky and never say anything to staff because i know what it is like to work in customer service but i feel like its my duty to warn future customers! im sure it was because SO many people were taking advantage of the grabone deals i just hope noone elses night was spoilt.

5  Thank auckland_123456789
AHA2011, Manager at Amora Hotel Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2012

On behalf of the hotel management, I would like to apologise for your unfortnate experience this weekend.Please contact me and I will organise to meet with you and get more details, as it is very important for us to make sure that our staff provide excellent customer service to all of our guests. Perhaps you can meet me for a coffee at some time and we can discuss exactly what went wrong. My contact details are:
Judy Lourens