“Decent hotel with good location”

Amora Hotel Auckland
Ranked #26 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I happened to stay in this hotel twice in a space of one week in February during my travel in New Zealand. While researching for a hotel accommodation in Auckland, I came across certain reviews of this hotel and was quite impressed with what I read. Additionally, there were some online deals running, which helped me procure great discounts. Overall, my stay was quite satisfying as it had clean, decently sized rooms with good bathing facilities. The location of the hotel is also very good, as the CBD, queens street and K-street are all within walking distance from the hotel. While during my first visit, I was given a room with a sky tower view, during my second stint, I was given a room overlooking the Auckland Hebrew Congregation. It can get noisy during the day. The hotel has guest parking on chargeable basis of 20 dollars for a night. But I found public parking across the street more inexpensive and hence used that. Did not try the food here, so will not comment. Providing limited complementary wi-fi internet to its guests, is something that the management could consider.

Room Tip: Try for a room facing grey street for sky tower view. Avoid the rooms ending with 01 or 02
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 March 2013

I stayed here for three nights in March 2013. I found the room a bit tired. The paint in the bathroom was a bit tatty, Having said that, the bed was very comfortable and I had a good sleep. My balcony room overlooked Myers Park so it was lovely and quiet. Part way through the night I had to open the ranchslider because the room got so hot, and the bulky Air Con would have woken the whole floor I am sure, had I turned it on. I had breakfast here every morning and found it a pleasant experience, One evening meal was also very pleasant and surprisingly affordable. I agree with earlier comments that I preferred this hotel when it was the DUXTON.

Room Tip: Ask for a Balcony room facing Myers Park
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ian-NewZealand
Reviewed 11 March 2013

If you like nice lobbies, good restaurants in the hotel, and not having to pay for your internet - DO NOT stay here. We had read great reviews in Frommer's but were disappointed in the whole experience. In fact as an aside, Frommer's New Zealand book, is one of their worst efforts based on our now 2+ weeks in the country.

We arrived early from an overseas flight and the room wasn't ready - no big deal. Stored our luggage and waled about the city. The Fringe was on which was fun. Went back around 1PM, the room wasn't ready. Still abit early went for lunch. Came back after 2 - room wasn't ready yet. When we asked if we could get a wifi code we were told no - we would have to pay for it and since our room wasn't ready they couldn't sell it to us - unbelievable.

The room itself was okay - we asked for a view of the park but did not get one. The city view was also nice. They could definitely stand to update the rooms. ON leaving we asked if we could arrange a shuttle to get to the airport. They connected us to the company and then charged us for the phone call. Not a big deal but petty things that leave a bad impression.

Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank OnTheGoCFO
Reviewed 8 March 2013

We enjoyed our first stay at the Amora Hotel, so mush so that we re-booked and returned another night. The rooms had everything we needed, beds were comfortable, bath was roomy. Staff were very friendly. Breakfast in the morning was filling and yummy :) Staff allowed us to leave our car in their carparking while we explored Auckland City.
We had a peaceful sleep.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2013

I booked this hotel through Wotif, one of their mystery hotels. After I read Tripadvisor reviews I got a bit worried, but having stayed here for 2 nights, I would be happy to stay here again.

Check-in was friendly, efficient and fast, as was check-out. Reception was always happy to answer my questions. One night I had room service, and I was very happy with that too.

The room was spacious, clean and well-presented, but a bit lacking in ambience. If you go looking, you can see the odd scuff mark or worn patch, but I find the descriptions of run-down rooms so different to the one I had (601). The bed was very comfortable. The kitchen equipment was basic, but enough to do simple meal preparation. The toiletries in the bathroom were good quality with a pleasant, soft scent. The room was very light and sunny, and had a decent sized balcony, although this may have been bigger than some of the other rooms I think.

My room was at the side of the building, not overlooking the park or the street. Instead it overlooked the synagogue next door, which has a primary school attached to it, and the central fire station on the other side of the synagogue. There were occasional sirens from the fire station, but I'm used to city noises. The school was relatively quiet, even when the children were outside. I don't think it is a big school. There is also a nice deli at the synagogue, which does good coffee.

Finally, there is the location. The Amora is convenient to the Aotea Centre, which was one of the places I was going on this trip. It is also very convenient to the airport bus, and to the red city link bus. The Amora is also within easy walking distance of Karangahape Rd, where there is a stop for the green inner link bus which goes to the Auckland Museum, Newmarket, Parnell and Ponsonby.

I felt like I got a real bargain here. If I had paid full price, then the rather ordinary and functional appearance of the rooms would have disappointed me. If you can get a discounted rate, then it is an excellent base for exploring Auckland.

Room Tip: For a quiet night, remove the battery from the wall clock to stop it ticking
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Selsy
Reviewed 6 March 2013

We would never go there again. Firstly we were given a non spa room when we paid for a spa room.Complained and then were shifted to a spa room. Food at dinner and breakfast was terrible, very over cooked both times. Rooms were tired and needed some love eg; cartpet, paint, bathroom, bed, and the big bulky noisy airconditioner still stuck in the corner. Same furnishings as when The Duxton opened many years ago. We stayed there many times when it was the Duxton as we enjoyed it. Great disappointment.

Room Tip: Just don't go there.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2013

Hotel is overall good the rooms have a lot of extras ours had a small kitchenette, balcony and a washer/dryer. Beds are comfortable linens are clean and white but appeared worn and ready to be replaced. We made the mistake of trying to use the washer/dryer it washed ok but never dried the clothing we ended up hanging the wash in the balcony (FYI we were not the only room who ended up doing this). Check in / out was fast and efficient and they will store your luggage for free when checking out this was nice since we were not able to get a late check out at the end of our stay. Bar has nice outside terrace area drinks are expensive but not unreasonable for a hotel bar didn't dine at the hotel but the dinning area look nice.

If its going to be hot the A/C might be a concern it a free standing unit in room kind of odd and did not appear very capable but we did not use it so can't say for sure.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and make sure you get it for the best view, let will try to put you on a lower...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends