“A cosy hotel.”

Amora Hotel Auckland
Ranked #26 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 25 March 2013

The location is ok, just minutes from downtown Auckland. Nothing flash about the place but it has nice views if you are facing the park. The car park is a real squeeze so don’t try parking a larger vehicle.

The room was fine so long as you don’t want the air-conditioning unit on. The place was built without it and they have retrofitted an extremely noisy free standing unit in the room that was a real turn off when the room got hot.

Room Tip: Choose one with plently of opening windows so you don't have to turn the aircon unit on.

Reviewed 24 March 2013

I stayed here for three nights while on a training course for work.

I was pleased to have a kitchenette which was a bonus and meant I could get a few groceries in and at least have breakfast in the room.

The room was comfortable with a king bed - and no split! Always good. I liked the balcony but the aircon unit sitting on the floor was so noisy, I couldn't relax and hear tv over it.

My biggest complaint was that the hotel does not offer wifi. Please...! The only internet you could access was in the lobby and they had two computer terminals down there. There's no way these days that anyone wants to do that. Most hotels offer wifi in your room at least and many free - even if it's a small amount.

Also, staffing of the reception area was light at check in and check out times.

Just a wee housekeeping note too. When cleaning the bath/shower, please look around the corner inside the bath and clean the mould off - it's not that hard to make that little effort surely? And if the hotel offers (as most do), to leave your towels for re-use then please do so. We're currently under drought conditions. I dutifully hung up my towel and bathmat in the morning to come back and find them replaced. What a waste of resources!

Overall, despite my comments on some small matters, I liked my room and the location of the hotel. Easy walking distance to some good restaurants.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

On a group tour, and was very convenient to the city, but quiet street and good outlook. Had stayed before and enjoyed, is a little tied but still pleasant enough. Only complaint was the bar could not accommodate a large touring group.

Room Tip: Spa room overlooking the park.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I happened to stay in this hotel twice in a space of one week in February during my travel in New Zealand. While researching for a hotel accommodation in Auckland, I came across certain reviews of this hotel and was quite impressed with what I read. Additionally, there were some online deals running, which helped me procure great discounts. Overall, my stay was quite satisfying as it had clean, decently sized rooms with good bathing facilities. The location of the hotel is also very good, as the CBD, queens street and K-street are all within walking distance from the hotel. While during my first visit, I was given a room with a sky tower view, during my second stint, I was given a room overlooking the Auckland Hebrew Congregation. It can get noisy during the day. The hotel has guest parking on chargeable basis of 20 dollars for a night. But I found public parking across the street more inexpensive and hence used that. Did not try the food here, so will not comment. Providing limited complementary wi-fi internet to its guests, is something that the management could consider.

Room Tip: Try for a room facing grey street for sky tower view. Avoid the rooms ending with 01 or 02
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I stayed here for three nights in March 2013. I found the room a bit tired. The paint in the bathroom was a bit tatty, Having said that, the bed was very comfortable and I had a good sleep. My balcony room overlooked Myers Park so it was lovely and quiet. Part way through the night I had to open the ranchslider because the room got so hot, and the bulky Air Con would have woken the whole floor I am sure, had I turned it on. I had breakfast here every morning and found it a pleasant experience, One evening meal was also very pleasant and surprisingly affordable. I agree with earlier comments that I preferred this hotel when it was the DUXTON.

Room Tip: Ask for a Balcony room facing Myers Park
1  Thank Ian-NewZealand
Reviewed 11 March 2013

If you like nice lobbies, good restaurants in the hotel, and not having to pay for your internet - DO NOT stay here. We had read great reviews in Frommer's but were disappointed in the whole experience. In fact as an aside, Frommer's New Zealand book, is one of their worst efforts based on our now 2+ weeks in the country.

We arrived early from an overseas flight and the room wasn't ready - no big deal. Stored our luggage and waled about the city. The Fringe was on which was fun. Went back around 1PM, the room wasn't ready. Still abit early went for lunch. Came back after 2 - room wasn't ready yet. When we asked if we could get a wifi code we were told no - we would have to pay for it and since our room wasn't ready they couldn't sell it to us - unbelievable.

The room itself was okay - we asked for a view of the park but did not get one. The city view was also nice. They could definitely stand to update the rooms. ON leaving we asked if we could arrange a shuttle to get to the airport. They connected us to the company and then charged us for the phone call. Not a big deal but petty things that leave a bad impression.

Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank OnTheGoCFO
Reviewed 8 March 2013

We enjoyed our first stay at the Amora Hotel, so mush so that we re-booked and returned another night. The rooms had everything we needed, beds were comfortable, bath was roomy. Staff were very friendly. Breakfast in the morning was filling and yummy :) Staff allowed us to leave our car in their carparking while we explored Auckland City.
We had a peaceful sleep.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple