“Terrific Value”

Ranked #25 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
los angeles
“Terrific Value”
Reviewed 8 May 2008

Despite the fact that the reviews on this hotel were inconsistent, I decided to book this hotel for four days because of the $160NZ rate offered for their "Longstay Special". With the very small exception of the combination washer/dryer (confusing to us spoiled Americans) my expectations were exceeded on every level. The staff was terrific, and the room was large, with lots of very nice amenities. In addtion, the room had a very nice view, and was located in a convenient part of Central Auckland. It set a very high bar for the rest of my accomodations in New Zealand.

• Liked — Value & amenities
  • Disliked — Washer/Dryer
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank jkaumana

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Vancouver BC
Reviewed 6 April 2008

I had two stays, one of four days and one of two days. A local business associate booked the Duxton. There were five of us staying and we debated how many stars the Duxton rated. The rooms have a balcony, washer/dryer, stove top, fridge, micro and iron and ironing board. They also have a free standing portable air conditioner inside the room. They are trying to be high end with a robe in the closet and a pool overlooking a park, but are hampered by location and too much time between renovations. Location is, at my pace, 25 minutes from Viaduct Quay. It is between a nicely treed street and Myers Park. There is a YMCA across the street meaning noise from the kids coming and going. There is a low rental project across the street too. The St John Ambulance and fire hall are 100 yards up the street. I tried to avoid the noisy in-room air conditioner by leaving the sliding balcony door open, but sirens, celebrations and mosquitoes forced the door closed. The staff is excellent, the $19 breakfast continental buffet ok, the business centre of two terminals a little small but overriding everything is the place is run down and dirty looking. My two rooms were in identical condition. Good bed, but worn carpeting, old paint, stained shower grout, crappy T.V.…just a tired place. My rate was $NZ170. I heard someone checking out at $125. The star rating? We debated two or three and compromised at 2-1/2. It is adequate and probably ok for the price, but I won’t stay there again.

• Liked — Balcony
  • Disliked — simply worn out
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank AlegreVancouverBC

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed 30 March 2008

I have stayed at the Duxton six times over the past five years. It is a compact, small high-rise hotel just north of the downtown area (20-minute walk). The Duxton has a smallish lobby and reception area. The staff are generally very professional and helpful. On the ground floor there is a restaurant which serves breakfast and dinner. In the morning there is a nice continental breakfast or full breakfast choice. The rooms can be quite variable. I have stayed in some pretty nice rooms, others are very modest and look worn. Recently I stayed on the fifth floor and noticed the carpet looked worn and the walls were a little scuffed. Some of the decor and hardware (particularly the bathroom) is very basic and a bit dated. In the bathroom there is a tiny little sink that is set too low. There is also a tiny ledge for toiletries, meaning I kept most of my stuff in the kitchenette area. The hotel tends to be pretty quiet, though is close to downtown, so street cleaning and sirens can interrupt sleep a bit. I have found the beds to be pretty firm and I generally get a good night's sleep at the Duxton. There is a friendly YMCA across the street where one can work out for $10.00. This is great for a business traveler who doesn't want to gain wait on a trip! Close to the Duxton there is a street that the locals call "K Street". It has a lot of good little restaurants, particularly Asian. There are also plenty of coffee shops and stores in walking distance. The price per night to stay at the Duxton seems reasonable given its good central location. I would just like to see a bit of renovation as the hotel is starting to look worn. All things considered, I can give the Duxton an OK recommendation.

• Liked — Good location, breakfast
  • Disliked — Hotel starting to look a bit shabby and needs updating
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
Auckland
Reviewed 28 March 2008

We had booked in a Deluxe Spa Package at The Duxton. It was a special birthday surprise for my husband, from me.

On arrival, everything looked fine. We paid a deposit for our room, since we prefer NOT to do business with credit cards. This turned out to be a good idea, we discovered at checkout.

As soon as we opened our hotel room door the problems began. We noticed IMMEDIATELY that the carpet on the floor was stained and dirty. It is clearly past its use-by date. The room itself was far smaller than anticipated, but we let that go in favour of needing a break anyway.

The decorating was decidedly 1991, right down to the matching sofa, crockery and duvet set.

We took a look at the bathroom and spotted a long black hair (neither my husband or I have long black hair) on the floor. We weren't impressed. We went over to the dirty windows to open the doors and noticed that there were CRUMBS on the small table near the door.Not one or two, but MANY crumbs. Soon after, we found the same crumbs on the old two-seater 1991 teal and hot pink highlighted sofa in the room.

At this point I was ready to demand a new, clean room for our $260.

On top of that, we noticed that our promised chocs and spa package were also conspicuously absent from the room.

We took a second look at the kitchen area floor and noticed fatty deposits on the floor that easily lifted with a shoe scrape. It was NOT looking good at this point.

Opening the microwave revealed multiple food splatters (looks like the last people who stayed had spaghetti bolognaise for dinner). It was all over the top and sides of the microwave, and the door.

Distressed by now, we checked the fridge too. Thankfully, it looked fine, though our confidence was very low by now, and we did notice dirty finger marks on the outside of the fridge door.

I called the front desk, and shared my concerns with the chap on the other end of the phone. He told me he would call me back after speaking with the Manager.

Thirty minutes later the Manager (or the Manager's representative) called and told us that cleaning staff would arrive shortly to re-clean the room. We indicated that we would prefer a new room, and were told none were available. We did not want to be there during the re-cleaning, and told him so, and were advised that a voucher for the bar would be at the front desk for us to use while re-cleaning was taking place.

The voucher was for one house wine or beer or soft drink each.

The room was cleaned by the time we finished our drinks (which was quite nice as we were totally swamped by a wedding party), and we went back up, ready to shower and get ready to meet friends for dinner.

The room smelled clean when we got back, and yes the floors were clean, but the crumbs were still on the sofa. Hmmm. We couldn't even be bothered going through the whole palaver of cleaning staff coming up AGAIN so we let it go.

While I showered, my husband browsed the TV channels. He turned it off when I got out of the shower. Or he tried to, but the TV was so old that either the remote didn't work, or the thing never worked, and he had to get off the bed to turn it off. Hmmm.

The rest of the time was ok, and the dinner I have to say (at The Grill) was fabulous. In fact, it was one of the nicest meals we have had in a long time, definitely to be recommended.

So on the Checkout the next day.

There was a long line, so my husband put our bags in the car (very crowded car park) while I took care of the Checkout. I got there just before 10am.

I got to the counter around 10.15. The checkout chap advised me that because we did NOT pay by credit card, he would have to run up to the room to check that everything was in order. OK.

Ten minutes later he returned to tell me that we had drunk several bottles of liquor and eaten the cashews from the mini-bar in the room. Errr.. WRONG. We had NOTHING from the mini-bar. At this point I was kicking myself for not recording the minibar contents and letting the staff know when we arrived.

After my denial of consumption of the plonk, checkout chap goes upstairs AGAIN (presumably to have a second look), comes back and proceeds to delete the cost of said plonk from our bill. No apology or explanation given.

But wait, that's not all. We were also charged for a room service dinner. Allegedly delivered to our room two hours before we ate our three course meal at The Grill. Checkout Chap runs to the kitchen to check if we did indeed eat in the Grill rather than in our room, and returns to delete the $80-odd charge from my account.

I eventually get a refund from my deposit.

It is 40 minutes from the time I arrived at the checkout to the time I leave. We finally head home to our nice clean house.

My advice: Stay away from The Duxton, Auckland. It's a mess. In more ways than one.

• Liked — The restaurant served superb food.
  • Disliked — The standard of cleanliness and the feling that we were considerd dishonest.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LadyAnnienz
Sydney Australia
Reviewed 5 February 2008

Having booked the Duxton as a "Secret Hotel" I consulted Trip Advisor reviews and was prepared for a disappointment.
Our 3 night deal included a bottle of sparkling wine and breakfast plus 24 hour free valet parking. The Duxton is very central easy to walk down to various theatres etc in Queen St. and parking would normally be a real drain on the budget. We had been charged $36 for a day in our hotel in Wellington!

The portable a/c was as noisy as stated by other reviewers but the size of the room and the small kitchen area made up for it. Great view and extremely friendly staff.

Easy to get on to the Motorway to travel up North and lovely beaches and scenery. It was nice to bring friends back to the Duxton and have a drink and snack in the room.
we enjoyed our stay.

Stayed January 2008
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 December 2007

My daughter and I stayed at the Duxton for 5nights. Our room was on the 9th floor and consisted of a King bed, kitchenette and balcony. The balcony view looked out to the city. Apart from the coffee/tea facilities, we only used the stove once when we dined in. The kitchen items were all in working order and appeared hardly used but most importantly, clean. My daughter used the spotlessly clean microwave most of the time. The washing machine/dryer combination was not the best invention and did not function as you would expect from a conventional washing machine and dryer. I had to drape our clothes around the room to be properly dried. I would suggest installing a separate washing machine and dryer.

The bed was comfortable and there was plenty of spare pillows and blankets. The tv was old and could do with a makeover. The room was spotlessly cleaned daily. The bathroom was clean and the complimentary toiletries (used by my daughter) were replaced daily.

The carpets could do with a bit of steam clean but it did not matter as we were hardly in the room during our stay. My main gripe with the property would have to be the noisy and outdated air-con unit in the room! Having the unit on is very noisy but the room can get uncomfortably hot and stuffy if the unit is not turned on (and this was winter in NZ). Fortunately, we were on the higher floor so we could open our curtains to let some air in. On the last day, as I checked the room before leaving, I found that a pipe (located behind the curtains) which runs from the air-con unit which pump/expel air (from inside) outside, had fallen off from what appeared to be an ineffective masking tape job (attaching the pipe to the air-con unit), from the air-con unit. I'm not sure how long the pipe had been detached from the air-con unit as its placement (behind curtains) is not visible and would not be seen unless you're on floor level looking for something. The noisy air-con unit and masked tape pipe is hardly something you'd expect from a hotel which rates itself as a 5star hotel!

During our stay, the swimming pool was out of order and is very very small (the pictures on the site made it look a lot bigger). The fitness centre is also very small and the machines are outdated although in reasonably working order. As the hotel is situated on a hill, we got our exercise from walking up the hiill to the hotel. We did not have a problem with using the hotel's carpark although the parking bays can be a bit tight for larger vehicles. There are also public car parks around the vicinity.

There is a park next to the hotel which is useful for those with young children and is relatively safe for use during the day.

We did not have a problem with the staff. We would stay at the hotel again if they replace the noisy air-con units.

• Liked — Comfortable rooms (except for the noisy air-con unit)
  • Disliked — Noisy air-con unit
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank Sarah078
Toowong, QLD
Reviewed 8 October 2007

Check in:

Service was supposed to be 'professional' but really came across as being aloof.

Room 906:

+ives:

Excellent blockout curtains

-ives:

Small in-room aircon unit - very noisy.
Shower screen leaked really badly.
Bathroom smelled like bleach.
There was mould in the basin plug fitting.
The basin plug didn't seal properly.
The shower rose was grubby and the fitting was damaged. Bedding had cigarette burns in it.
Pillows were terrible and, with only one spare pillow in the wardrobe, options were limited.
Windows were grubby.

Overall the room needed a major facelift to live up to the 5* rating The Duxton awarded itself.

Restaurant:

Service was really excellent for dinner. A small problem with the way our steak was cooked was resolved with professionalism and tact.

Service for Breakfast was lack-lustre. We arrived at the front desk and the waiter was chatting away with the chef. After about 20 seconds he realised we were standing there and caught himself from loudly swearing once he realised we were standing there. He asked me if I would like some toast but totally failed to ask my fiance if she would like some. Food was standard full breakfast fare.

Check out:

Filled in the room survey with comments similar to this but the checkout staffer opened up the survey and didn't acknowledge any of the points I raised. I suspect she just filed it in the bin.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple