“Generally good”

Amora Hotel Auckland
Ranked #26 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Our first night we stayed in a spa suite room which was hugely underwhelming. The room was a little small and the bathroom was showing heavy signs of wear and looked like a good workover was needed. However, our second stay was in a deluxe room which, despite being cheaper, was a much better room in terms of cleanliness and layout. The only thing we missed from our spa room was the balcony and some sort of view. However, the staff a friendly enough although they could benefit from calling guests earlier with information if possible as getting phone calls late at night after a flight is not ideal. The only flaw I noted was the lack of free wifi or at least reasonably priced wifi.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
AHA2011, General Manager at Amora Hotel Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear RossKilpatrick,

I have taken note of your comments and appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. I do hope you will consider a return visit to the Amora Hotel in the future.

Regards,

Reviewed 10 December 2013

the negative reviews below are perplexing, i couldnt ask for better for the quality of B&B package, the value for money, the cleanliness or the quiet location with leafy park / city view outlooks.

the negative reviews below make me trust tripadviser less and less nowadays

i think the Amora - Aukland is one of the best value 4.5 star rated hotels i've been too. The bonus of a B&B deal on a booking site made it even sweeter,
the benefits of a full kitchenette, comfy comfy beds,
and outstanding... absoutely amazing staff make this joint my first choice in aukland,
and from this expereince I would give the Amora brand a go in any of their locations.

thanks for the unecessary misguide tripadvisee's reviews below, ya must be very very difficult to please guests.

Ill be taking my reviews from my booking sites from now on,

Room Tip: they all seem great.. higher up gives ocean view as well, but it seems every room has great park vie...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear jak k,

I am so appreciative of your wonderful feedback, and have forwarded a copy to my team who work hard to deliver a superior service to our guests. This is such an encouraging review for us here at the Amora, it feels wonderful to know that you have felt looked after, and like a part of the Amora family! We are grateful for your loyalty to us, and we do hope that you get the opportunity to visit us on many more occasions in the future.

Regards,

Reviewed 9 December 2013

We especially enjoyed the friendly service at this downtown hotel during a recent visit to Auckland. We got one of the last available rooms, a one bedroom suite with a rollaway for the 12 year old that was quickly set up by a cheerful staff member. The bar area is quiet and pleasant, and all of Auckland's attractions are a short stroll away. The gym needs a refurbish to warrant calling it that, but the YMCA gym is just across the street. Pricing here is very keen for downtown Auckland and we like the leafy avenue. Well worth a visit if you like reliable comfort, good service, access to all amenities, and access to friendly, capable, helpful staff when needed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the park rather than the busier Avenue.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Loved my stay at the Amora. Superb location close to the central city but not on a noisy street. A quick stroll either to K Road for nightlife or to the Sky Tower etc..

Bathroom was awesome. Had bifold doors opening into the main room so you could open it up and enjoy a romantic bubblebath.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I'll start with the good and then THE BAD (there is more bad). I paid NZ$150/night for two nights and my room was wonderful for that price. It was spotless, elegant, comfortable, large, and had a full kitchen. It had lots of windows but the view was of a street, not so inspiring, but okay. I think the location is good, but it is up a large hill from the CBD which could be tough for some to walk up. Also, there definitely are hotels closer to town and sights.

My room had a tiny aircon unit which was sufficient, and a couple of heaters which weren't needed in spring.

Overall, I felt like I could actually live in this place as a large studio apartment, it was very nice.

Now the BAD - in summary, Wifi, reception service, restaurant service, food.

Wifi - you have to pay $15 a day and you can't even use it above ground floor; I can go to a cafe and get wifi and a coffee for $3.50; or even a shopping mall and buy nothing for free wifi in Auckland; hopeless and a rip off; it definitely doesn't cost close to $15 a day for them to provide the service

Reception service - really slow and not convincing; I don't remember EVER waiting so long for reception desk service; literally 5 minutes, I don't know where the second staff member went; the man didn't suggest I purchase wifi upon arrival, so I had to come back down from my room to organise it; then he didn't do it properly, so I had to wait again, was served by someone else who said, "oh you can't purchase wifi for 2 days". There were several bewildering comments from staff on that first day, and not really much pleasure in hosting customers. Not up to scratch. However, on checkout I was served efficiently, and when I came back to collect bags from storage it all went well.

Restaurant service - clearly most of the staff had no idea how to serve in a restaurant; no insight, no enthusiasm, no questions about how everything was; it was like being served by high school students; not up to scratch. They were polite enough and reasonably quick to serve, BUT SLOW to bring the food - and I was eating alone.

Food - everywhere in NZ is expensive, but in six days staying in NZ this place had the most disappointing food; I was starving on arrival so had dinner at 5.45pm and had beef carpaccio and a chicken and spinach roll; it was worse than average; then hungry again at 9.30pm ordered room service; pork cutlet tenderloins were dry/overcooked and I really just ate to get through the experience. Not up to scratch, especially when so many meals in very small towns in NZ had been brilliant.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Andrew K
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We had a Grabone voucher..accomodation,dinner and parking for $150 approx
I casually read some reviews and found the recent ones to be very damning.this caused me apprehension was was totally misplaced. Check in was smooth and the room excellent..well appointed,clean,bed comfortable. There was no sign of worn,chipped,old,or dirty
Some pretenders who have never stayed anywhere good just like to mouth off a lot of crap.
The staff in the restaurant were courtesies and attentive and the meals and drinks came promptly with the iced water topped up at least 4 times
This is an excellent hotel and very reasonably priced
Pretentious people should stay in their own homes

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Wayne7777,

Thanks so much for posting a review of your stay. I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is quite a delight to know that there are some honest people out there who can honestly review their stay.

I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Amora Hotel Auckland in the future.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

To begin, there were a few things I did like: the room was quite clean, reception upon arrival was quite nice, and the location is pretty central. The size of my executive studio room was notable.

Otherwise, this experience was kind of a bust. I particularly want to address the dining situation, which was abysmal. I first went to dinner at The Grill restaurant, and the wait staff looked genuinely confused by my presence. Understandable; there was no one else in the entire restaurant at 6pm. Red flag #1.

I ordered dinner, which was mediocre at best (the 'three cheese tart' was particularly awful, which looked and tasted like it was a microwaved frozen snack. ew.) Because I was the only one there, I thought service would be stellar. I was mistaken. The wait staff, while generally nice, had no idea what to do and I was made to wait for a long period of time before each course and before getting my check.

Breakfast was not much better. It was a sad buffet, things had been left out too long, not much selection. They didn't do hot food that day so they gave me a "big breakfast" which was sort of tragic and involved soggy bread, canned mushrooms, and bacon that was mostly fat.

All of that would be understandable given the tripadvisor rating of the hotel, as mediocre as it was in person, except for the food was SO EXPENSIVE. 4.5 star prices for 2 star food. I was torn between being embarrassed for them and feeling like I was being robbed.

Another thing-- not updating hotel facilities does not make it a boutique hotel. I'm not sure where they got the idea that this was a boutique hotel. Someone needs to take them aside and let them down gently.

On a lighter note, everyone who spoke to me was very sweet and accommodating. That was pleasant.

Room Tip: I was on an upper floor, which gave me a heart attack because something is up with the lift. Yikes.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo