“Boutique Hotel, nice but the Gym?”

Amora Hotel Auckland
Ranked #26 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Boutique Hotel, nice but the Gym?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

This is a pleasant, well located hotel, with mid range plus pricing. Our rooms was spacious and we had a delightful spa bath, and the bed was comfy. The Dining room evening food was stylish, deserving more support. However the small Gym was nearly non- functional, an empty space where the treadmill had been, the rower was shot, the cross trainer working okay, and the sports bike also useable, but only suitable for a young and active gym user. A small Gym like this hotel offers only requires a Rower, ordinary bike, and a treadmill, and if you replace equipment every 5 yrs., and have a six monthly maintenance check, requires little attention. This Gym needs a makeover, why not give the care of the Gym to a nominated staff member! Overall a plus for this hotel, the Gym taking away a very solid rating

Room Tip: High up. Good view
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
AHA2011, General Manager at Amora Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear Alec W,

I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback of your stay, and have taken on board your comments about our gym. We are working on improving our gym in near future.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our superb location, our spacious room and the quality of dining that you experienced. I do hope to welcome you back to the Amora Hotel Auckland in the near future.

Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

We visited from California and stayed in a honeymoon style deluxe room for 5 nights. It had a large comfortable bed, clean modern bathroom and jacuzzi tub; also had a kitchenette so we could cook some meals instead of eating out constantly. Parking is $20/day. Disappointed with breakfast buffet selection and quality, especially with how much it cost. Got to walk to most places in the CBD, pending I travel here again I may stay closer to the wharf. My boyfriend and I did enjoy the complimentary bottle of champagne and chocolates delivered to us every night! Thank you Amora!

Room Tip: Book a honeymoon style room, get the complimentary champagne and chocolates option. We thought it w...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear kjbrown23 ,

It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Amora Auckland. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review, highlighting the great features of our guest rooms and our ideal location . We have definetly taken note of your comment about the breakfast. I do hope you get the opportunity to visit us again soon.

Kind Regards,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

Our first night we stayed in a spa suite room which was hugely underwhelming. The room was a little small and the bathroom was showing heavy signs of wear and looked like a good workover was needed. However, our second stay was in a deluxe room which, despite being cheaper, was a much better room in terms of cleanliness and layout. The only thing we missed from our spa room was the balcony and some sort of view. However, the staff a friendly enough although they could benefit from calling guests earlier with information if possible as getting phone calls late at night after a flight is not ideal. The only flaw I noted was the lack of free wifi or at least reasonably priced wifi.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear RossKilpatrick,

I have taken note of your comments and appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. I do hope you will consider a return visit to the Amora Hotel in the future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

the negative reviews below are perplexing, i couldnt ask for better for the quality of B&B package, the value for money, the cleanliness or the quiet location with leafy park / city view outlooks.

the negative reviews below make me trust tripadviser less and less nowadays

i think the Amora - Aukland is one of the best value 4.5 star rated hotels i've been too. The bonus of a B&B deal on a booking site made it even sweeter,
the benefits of a full kitchenette, comfy comfy beds,
and outstanding... absoutely amazing staff make this joint my first choice in aukland,
and from this expereince I would give the Amora brand a go in any of their locations.

thanks for the unecessary misguide tripadvisee's reviews below, ya must be very very difficult to please guests.

Ill be taking my reviews from my booking sites from now on,

Room Tip: they all seem great.. higher up gives ocean view as well, but it seems every room has great park vie...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear jak k,

I am so appreciative of your wonderful feedback, and have forwarded a copy to my team who work hard to deliver a superior service to our guests. This is such an encouraging review for us here at the Amora, it feels wonderful to know that you have felt looked after, and like a part of the Amora family! We are grateful for your loyalty to us, and we do hope that you get the opportunity to visit us on many more occasions in the future.

North Island, NZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

We especially enjoyed the friendly service at this downtown hotel during a recent visit to Auckland. We got one of the last available rooms, a one bedroom suite with a rollaway for the 12 year old that was quickly set up by a cheerful staff member. The bar area is quiet and pleasant, and all of Auckland's attractions are a short stroll away. The gym needs a refurbish to warrant calling it that, but the YMCA gym is just across the street. Pricing here is very keen for downtown Auckland and we like the leafy avenue. Well worth a visit if you like reliable comfort, good service, access to all amenities, and access to friendly, capable, helpful staff when needed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the park rather than the busier Avenue.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

Loved my stay at the Amora. Superb location close to the central city but not on a noisy street. A quick stroll either to K Road for nightlife or to the Sky Tower etc..

Bathroom was awesome. Had bifold doors opening into the main room so you could open it up and enjoy a romantic bubblebath.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

I'll start with the good and then THE BAD (there is more bad). I paid NZ$150/night for two nights and my room was wonderful for that price. It was spotless, elegant, comfortable, large, and had a full kitchen. It had lots of windows but the view was of a street, not so inspiring, but okay. I think the location is good, but it is up a large hill from the CBD which could be tough for some to walk up. Also, there definitely are hotels closer to town and sights.

My room had a tiny aircon unit which was sufficient, and a couple of heaters which weren't needed in spring.

Overall, I felt like I could actually live in this place as a large studio apartment, it was very nice.

Now the BAD - in summary, Wifi, reception service, restaurant service, food.

Wifi - you have to pay $15 a day and you can't even use it above ground floor; I can go to a cafe and get wifi and a coffee for $3.50; or even a shopping mall and buy nothing for free wifi in Auckland; hopeless and a rip off; it definitely doesn't cost close to $15 a day for them to provide the service

Reception service - really slow and not convincing; I don't remember EVER waiting so long for reception desk service; literally 5 minutes, I don't know where the second staff member went; the man didn't suggest I purchase wifi upon arrival, so I had to come back down from my room to organise it; then he didn't do it properly, so I had to wait again, was served by someone else who said, "oh you can't purchase wifi for 2 days". There were several bewildering comments from staff on that first day, and not really much pleasure in hosting customers. Not up to scratch. However, on checkout I was served efficiently, and when I came back to collect bags from storage it all went well.

Restaurant service - clearly most of the staff had no idea how to serve in a restaurant; no insight, no enthusiasm, no questions about how everything was; it was like being served by high school students; not up to scratch. They were polite enough and reasonably quick to serve, BUT SLOW to bring the food - and I was eating alone.

Food - everywhere in NZ is expensive, but in six days staying in NZ this place had the most disappointing food; I was starving on arrival so had dinner at 5.45pm and had beef carpaccio and a chicken and spinach roll; it was worse than average; then hungry again at 9.30pm ordered room service; pork cutlet tenderloins were dry/overcooked and I really just ate to get through the experience. Not up to scratch, especially when so many meals in very small towns in NZ had been brilliant.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends