“oasis in a city”

Amora Hotel Auckland
Ranked #26 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 12 February 2009

We spent 8 nights at the Duxton and loved it !. Rooms and apartments are refurbished . Try to get a corner one bedroom suite ..so nice and clean with a nice view on Myers Park. You feel you are in nature with a full city view ...it makes it special .

Staff is very friendly and accomodating. Balconies are small but nice and just looking at the park and luxurius vegetation is relaxing and just 2 blocks walking from downtown . Do not hesitate if you like a quiet , very clean and comfortable hotel close to downtown Auckland without the hustle and bustle!

Stayed: February 2009

Reviewed 16 November 2008

We liked the location next to Meyer Park. Although it was a 15 minute walk to Central Business district, there was the Link Bus that went past "K" Road nearby. The deluxe room was good size with King Bed, Sofa, 2 comfortable chairs and table, kitchenette with combination washer dryer, and a balcony
There is a restaurant, small outdoor pool with morning sun and a fitness center across the street. The service at reception was very good for the most part. The only down side was getting a Vegan meal at the restaurant. I tried once and gave up. This was unusual as everywhere else in New Zealand my dietary requirements were met and exceeded with friendly service and deleicious food. The rate of $160.00 NZ per night was average.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2008

I was there during the winter in Auckland so the prices were around $110 - 125 new zealand dollars including tax. Great big rooms, with balconies, absolutely the best deal in town for a very low price. By far the best deal you can find. I went and checked out many hotels in Auckland, because I was on a budget, but not extremely low one. I was with a girl, and we had a great time.

The pool and hot tub are great, they are outside, but there are palm trees around the area.

If I lived in New Zealand I would go there often, if I ever go back to New Zealand I will stay at the Duxton, hands down.

Very nice staff.

I wish they had a place up here in Seattle, USA like that where I could go.

Great place

Mike Sander

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2008

When we arrived the reception area is off to the left,partly obscured,it's not clear. We walked in and went straight ahead turns out the reception guys were just looking at us and let us wonder around. Not a great start. We checked in and the reception man was ambivilent. We had a car so my husband had to go and park it himself. I was left with our luggage - we had been touring for three weeks so had a LOT of bags. I had to go and search out a trolley, and stack all our bags onto it myself, the 2 nice strong men behind reception had a chat and watched. Is this supposed to be a 4 star hotel?? After I had finished one of them said 'Oh we can have them taken to your room" It wouldn't be polite to write what I wanted to say to him. So we were off to a very bad start, which coloured my view for the rest of the stay.

The room itself was lovely and big, it was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The mini bar was ok but we had no menu of prices. The sky guide was a month out of date - not major issues, but even the terrible motel we'd stayed in the night before had an up to date sky magazine!
The reception on the television was terrible, so it made a mockery of having to pay for a movie.

On the upside we ordered room service and it was absolutely out of this world, it was definitely good restaurant quality and the saving grace of our stay.

Would we stay there again - not on your life! Thank goodness we had a special offerlthrough wotif and it only cost $100.for the room, it was all our stay was worth really.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bobadoodle
Reviewed 12 May 2008

We stayed here as part of a large family group for a wedding. Supposedly we got a discount but at nearly NZ$160 per night without breakfast the price was very high by New Zealand standards for a four-star hotel (although the room did have a small kitchenette and washing machine). To add insult to injury, when we got home much cheaper rates were available on the website.

The room was clean and comfortable enough, and a reasonable size. The beds were very comfortable too but ruined by ridiculously thick pillows that left most of us with neck-ache the next day.

Service was very poor for a hotel that claims to be four-star - there were queues out the door at check-out time, only two lifts for a ten-storey hotel which meant ten minute waits for the lift, no newspaper provided even when the request was left out on the door, etc. The restaurant was good but also overpriced - $4.50 for a very average long espresso (apparently a 'specialist coffee').

I have to say they did a very good job of the wedding catering, but again there were a few service lapses. The location is quite good for the K Road end of town but not so handy for lower Queen Street / Viaduct.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank SuzanneD_001
Reviewed 8 May 2008

Despite the fact that the reviews on this hotel were inconsistent, I decided to book this hotel for four days because of the $160NZ rate offered for their "Longstay Special". With the very small exception of the combination washer/dryer (confusing to us spoiled Americans) my expectations were exceeded on every level. The staff was terrific, and the room was large, with lots of very nice amenities. In addtion, the room had a very nice view, and was located in a convenient part of Central Auckland. It set a very high bar for the rest of my accomodations in New Zealand.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank jkaumana
Reviewed 6 April 2008

I had two stays, one of four days and one of two days. A local business associate booked the Duxton. There were five of us staying and we debated how many stars the Duxton rated. The rooms have a balcony, washer/dryer, stove top, fridge, micro and iron and ironing board. They also have a free standing portable air conditioner inside the room. They are trying to be high end with a robe in the closet and a pool overlooking a park, but are hampered by location and too much time between renovations. Location is, at my pace, 25 minutes from Viaduct Quay. It is between a nicely treed street and Myers Park. There is a YMCA across the street meaning noise from the kids coming and going. There is a low rental project across the street too. The St John Ambulance and fire hall are 100 yards up the street. I tried to avoid the noisy in-room air conditioner by leaving the sliding balcony door open, but sirens, celebrations and mosquitoes forced the door closed. The staff is excellent, the $19 breakfast continental buffet ok, the business centre of two terminals a little small but overriding everything is the place is run down and dirty looking. My two rooms were in identical condition. Good bed, but worn carpeting, old paint, stained shower grout, crappy T.V.…just a tired place. My rate was $NZ170. I heard someone checking out at $125. The star rating? We debated two or three and compromised at 2-1/2. It is adequate and probably ok for the price, but I won’t stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business