“not happy!”

Amora Hotel Auckland
Ranked #26 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 3 October 2010

The staff need a lesson in courtesy! I will not stay at the Duxton again, nor will i recommend it. I was told upon check in that I had free breakfast for 2 in the morning as part of the deal when i purchased the room. Was asked by the girl in the restaurant wether we were on the breakfast list. Was told that we weren't on the listbut to go ahead and she would check on it. She did not come back to us again. Ate breakfast, which i have to be honest is the LAMEST buffet i have ever come across. WEnt to leave and was told we had to pay. I spoke with reception told them the staff member told me I had free breakfast. he then proceeded to argue with me that he was wrong and that i wasn't entitled to the breaksfast. I said it wasn't my fault and that if i had known i would have not bothered and then they proceeded to charge me $50 for breakfast!! I could have got a better breakfast from the nearest bakery and i'm disgusted! If they had any sense of decency they would have taken it on the nose and not charged me for my $5 worth that i ate. On top of that, we also got a very rude bartender the night before in the hotel bar. I was told by another guest that as my group left the bar he then proceeeded to complain to them ( another customer ) that we were a rowdy bunch. This is not how u should be treated when spening a few hundred dollars in the over priced restaurant and bar! Oh yea did i forget to mention that the toilet wouldn't stop flushing and there was a huge leak from the shower that had water all over the floor...........

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 March 2010

This hotel is one of the best I have stayed in, in New Zealand. right in the heart of the city. The event we were going to was at the AUckland town hall and it was just a short walk to get there. The hotel itself was clean the staff friendly the meals great I cant fault it.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 March 2010

Stayed in here for two nights while in Auckland. While the Hotel room itself was quite nice, good kitchenette facilities, clean, tidy, comfy beds, it wasn't perfect.

Upon check-in, I provided my credit card as security, which is standard. Instead they promptly attempted to charge me for both rooms I booked there and then, when I wasn't paying for the rooms with that credit card. This is the first time that this has happened to me in NZ, and is not really standard.

Other than that, service is very average. Sometimes shoddy - housekeeper without uniform, check-out receptionist tie crooked, no assistance with bags. Didn't try the restaurant or bar, pool is small and quite dingy.

Ultimately, would try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank IndustryBuff
Reviewed 23 February 2010

Got a good rate for Saturday overnight stay.
Check in efficient though not particularly friendly. We were given a corner room which was very clean and spacious. it had views of the park and had a large living area with table and chairs.
Kitchenette is a plus with hot plate, microwave and large fridge. This was ideal for us as we had everything available for pre dinner drinks and snacks.
The one odd thing about the room was the portable air conditioner in the corner of the room, with a hose attached to the window. Strange that in a hotel like this there is no central air conditioning.
The hotel does not have alot of parking available ($15 for self park). However I was fortunate to find a park across the road. Saturdays and Sundays free parking in the street, but normally always all taken.
Leaving our room the next morning we passed the Housekeeping Manager. No smile not even a good morning! Earlier that day coming back into the hotel a hobo walking past had the decency to say Good morning to me!
Overall a good hotel that is comfortable, but not particularly welcoming.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2010

We went to Auckland for a relaxing holiday and saw this hotel at a good price and knew the one in Sydney was lovely, so we booked it as our first night. We got to the hotel and we booked in with ease, went up to our room, which was fine until we entered the bathroom...it was disgraceful compared to the room. We ended up with a disabled bathroom, which isn't a problem but i don't think anyone would have been happy to use it. The floor was damaged, the shower curtain filthy basically i have had better bathrooms in a backpackers. I did go to reception, but they seemed uninterested even after showing them pictures, which is such a shame as it is a let down for the whole group of Amora hotels. Also if you did use the pool, don't dive in as you may hit your head at the other end!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2010

When we arrived we were met by a solemn faced receptionist, not a great first impression of customer service. We were impressed with the hotel lobby sadly this did not apply to the room. We payed full price($145) as we were paying cash and were unable to take advantage of the special rate advertised (credit card only). On arrival to our room after a 12 hour trip, we flopped on the bed only to be appalled that the pillow cases were not only badly stained but were also covered in someone elses hair! When reporting this to reception (no apology) we waited half an hour for the solemn receptionist to give us two new pillow cases at the door (still no apology!) which were also stained. Then we only had one bath towel which we shared, not wanting to complain again! Having worked as a supervisor in the housekeeping dept. in similar star hotels in London and Sydney, I find this bad management on the housekeepers part as this is supposed to be a 4star hotel. Along with this there was no hot water for the shower in the morning, what a joke!! We will never stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank jackandJill14
Reviewed 5 January 2010

We stayed here for 3-4 nights recently and enjoyed our stay. The rooms were clean and well maintained, the front desk staff reasonably informed and ready to answer any questions (we had many!).

Whilst centrally located, the area has little in terms of personality and not a huge amount on it's doorstep for a nice brunch and the like.

My one issue was with the lack of explanation of the fee charged for a dr call out when literally 10 doors around the corner a Dr advertised non registered appointments for $60 (later reinforced by a separate Dr in Russell). The charge was $280 and when we called to request the dr, we were given the number to call yet no-one explained that this would be the charge, or that if we fancied walking we could get a dr at a fifth of the price. That is the honesty I would expect from a hotel.

But if a clean, central base is what you're after, then this apartment hotel will more than meet your needs.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family