“Location and Rates” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #29 of 68 Hotels in Auckland
Cologne, Germany
“Location and Rates”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

The Auckland Mercure benefits massively from its outstanding location that combines immediate proximity to the harbour(s) (incl. the newly developed in-quarter Britomart, but also biaduct harbour, ferry terminal and Queen Str.) and its mostly reasonable rates. The rates, however, seem reasonable for good reasons: the hotel interior is somewhat worn and in need of refurbishment. Also, the hotel staff falls into two main groups: the minority of friendly and professional staff that I am used to at many Accor hotels and, and this is annoying, a quite substantial portion of friendly, but incompetent, slow and ineffective 'other' staff. It is due to the latter that I will avoid staying at the hotel in the future.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
MercureAKL, Manager at Mercure Auckland, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Napoleon12

Thank you for your posting relating to your stay at The Mecure Auckland Hotel. I am personally dissapointed to hear that overall in our service we were not consistent throughout the Hotel.

Operations Manager - Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Christchurch, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

I was extremely disappointed with this hotel. I've stayed in Mercure hotels all around NZ and Australia and never had a bad experience, until now. Staff were unfriendly and unhelpful. When I questioned the black mould on the bottom of my shower curtain I was told 'you get what you pay for'. TV remote wasn't working the answer I received was 'I'm not sure what else I can do'. $40 to use the car park for 2 hours. Even the Hilton didn't charge me $40! At check out I asked to speak with a manager to relay my feedback but was given this web address and told to do an online review. This is isolated to this particular hotel but does not reflect well on the group.

Room Tip: I would not recommend staying here at all.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
MercureAKL, Manager at Mercure Auckland, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Highlander8763

Thank you for your feedback relating to The Mercure Auckland Hotel. I am disappointed to hear overall you had an unpleasant stay with us, equally disappointing is the manner in which we dealt with your comments. If I may kindly ask for you to contact me on +64 9 377 8920 as I believe you deserve a more direct and personal apology from me. Thank you again.

Operations Manager - Rooms

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel is getting old and you can see signs of the lack of maintenance everywhere.. lifts out of order. Paint missing. Our tv wasnt working and we had to be moved.. now I must tell you the staff were excellent and the service was very prompt and flawless. Nice big rooms. Great view. Perfect location close to everything. Comfortable beds.
Spend some money bringing it back to glory and you will go far.
LOVED the bar and restaurant. Breakfast was great except for the horrible scrambled eggs..

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear crocteaser

Thank you for your feedback relating to the Mercure Auckland Hotel. We are working consistently with our parnters to get a refurbishment done of our room product, I agree that we have some work to do in this area. Thank you for the fantastic feedback relating to our team.

Fort Mohave, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stayed here 3 different nights on our trip to NZ. Our flight got in @ 5:45 a.m. and we checked in around 8:30 a.m. and our room was ready as I had requested and we were very happy after such a long flight from LAX. It is right next door to the train station and the airport express bus is just a block or so away. All very convenient. For $28.00 you can catch the above bus (cash) and get a round trip to and from the airport and it's good for a month. Cheapest way to get to the city center from the airport. Runs every 10 minutes 24/7. Our room was quite nice other than a few cosmetic things, touch up paint mainly here and there. Staff were wonderful and couldn't do enough for us! Newspaper at our door every morning which was nice. Very reasonably priced as well. I booked 3-4 months in advance and was only $91.00 U.S. + the transaction fee on the credit card. Less than $100.00 split between me and my friend. Would sure stay here again!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Bobby31225
Dear Bobby32115

Thank you for your detailed feedback relating to the Mercure Auckland Hotel. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and the feedback given is fantastic, thank you for this.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

We used valet parking,requested at check in to return the car at 9.30am. We checked out at 9.20am, car did not return until 9.50am, 20 mins late? Buffet breakfast lacked variety in selection, eggs tasteless. Service was good,room great!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

2 Thank Jostravels2014
Dear Jostravels2014

Thank you for your recent posting relating to The Mercure Auckland Hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for the obvious inconvenience caused in the delay of retrieving your car, this is an area we are looking further into. I am pleased you enjoyed the service of the team.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

I really like the breakfast buffet and was able to eat everything on the menu, which is great! But the room was not cleaned properly thou (both the bed and bathroom), bad smells on the corridors too. I'm a clean freak so I really don't like this! I was recommended by my colleague to come stay here and I did because of the location and convenience, but overall..I am disappointed! I paid too much for this place and their service standard just don't match it, it's like pay more get less? I noticed plenty of maintenance work needs to be done within the hotel too, the place is getting really old, but all the staff are pretty smiley and helpful thou. Nevertheless, I had a better experience staying at another hotel before, so I won't be coming back here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Pavalova_S
MercureAKL, Manager at Mercure Auckland, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear Pavalova_S

Thank you for your detailed posting on Tripadvisor relating to the Mercure Auckland Hotel. A possible refurbishment of our room product is an area we are working consistenly and continuously with our parnter's on. I can appreciate noting this won't help with your most recent stay with us. I am pleased from the human side of the business, you found our staff helpful and friendly. If you would like to discuss this more, please feel free to contact me on 09 377 8920.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

A nice hotel situated in the CBD next to the harbour. Lots of shops and restaurants outside the door and only a 2 minute walk to the marina, Fish Markets and the Maritime Museum. The Britomart Transport Centre Auckland's major transportation hub is around the corner. Friendly helpful staff made our stay a great experience.

Room Tip: Our level 10 room had a great city view and was quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
MercureAKL, Manager at Mercure Auckland, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear Sue19342

Thank you for your posting on the Mercure Auckland Hotel. The team and I are very pleased you enjoyed both our friendly service as well as the location of the Hotel. Thank you again.