“Value for money.”

Kiwi International Hotel
Ranked #36 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 16 February 2013

I just needed a place to stay in Auckland after my tour ended. Decided against a hostel because I wanted some peace and quiet after three weeks of being surrounded by people. Booked just the basic single/twin room and it was like sleeping in a shoebox. It is extremely basic. Bed, sink, window and a table.

Communal bathrooms I found were always clean and there are plently available so no waiting around for a shower thankfully.

It is towards the end of Queen St, or at least it is a little far from the main area- so be careful if you are walking back alone at night. Otherwise the location is fine. Plenty to do in Auckland.

I did however have two issues, both with staff members. Yes they were helpful with booking the airport shuttle, however I don't appreciate being argued with and corrected over what my own mobile # is, I'm an Australian citizen with an Australian mobile # so I think I know how the intl dialing code works and so this resulted in the shuttle company receiving an invalid # because she didn't listen to me. And on the day of my departure, I left quite early in the morning (it was still pitch black) and was simply told by the receptionist to 'wait out on the road' not in front of the hotel for the shuttle bus to pick me up. Excuse me, but I'm a YOUNG FEMALE SOLO traveller- i chose the shuttle bus so I wouldn't have to wait on the main road by myself in the early morning for the public airport bus. I am liable for my own safety I understand that, but seriously stupid advice to be giving someone.

But yeah, if you are staying more than say two nights, I'd look into booking a room with a bit more to it.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank nicole e
kiwi_mark411, Owner at Kiwi International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2013

Thank you for your generally positive review. This reviewer booked one of our Economy rooms and yes they are basic - but at NZ$55 with in-room vanity basin, king single bed, tea & coffee making, desk etc. they are by far the best value private room for an independent traveller to be found in Auckland - or in fact in any major western city. And as the reviewer suggests if you want something more comprehensive most of our rooms are ensuite bathroom, flatscreen TV, tea & coffee making etc etc. Also at very good rates which accounts for our No. 1 TripAdvisor rating in their "Best Value - Central Auckland Hotels" category.

Reviewed 26 January 2013

If you don't want to sleep in noisy, packed backpacker dorms, this is a cheap and yet clean alternative. It's conveniently located on Upper Queenstreet (K'Road and eateries are just round the corner) and if you're travelling as a couple you get a double room with a private bathroom for not much more than you would pay in a backpacker. The rooms are small and simple, but clean and serviced every day. Depending where your room is, it might be a little noisy in the morning from the street. We thought it was definitely worth it and so we returned after our first stay!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Eveline S
kiwi_mark411, Owner at Kiwi International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2013

Thank you for your review. We're pleased you appreciated our value. We look forward to seeing you again sometime.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

This place is great for what it is - a room with a bed and a bathroom. There's no fridge or microwave or cooking facility (not in the room we stayed in anyway) but the rooms were clean and well serviced so it was fine. The hotel is beside a variety of korean and japanese restaurants and only a short walk away from the centre of town so it's well located. We'd become accustomed to free daily wifi packages traveling around the North Island so it was a bit annoying having to pay $4NZD for 50MB but maybe that's on par with the rest of places to stay in Auckland. It might be a good idea to bring some earplugs for when you sleep - we were there over the weekend and there were a drunken people yelling on the street throughout the night (downside of location, perhaps).

Generally our stay here was pleasant - there's a travel desk in the foyer which is a nice touch. Everyone was very helpful (including the housekeeping staff).

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jesc0319
kiwi_mark411, Owner at Kiwi International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2013

Thank you for your encouraging review. Most places do charge for wi-fi but ours is free if you book direct with us. Generally we are a quiet hotel, especially so given our great central location. Weekends can be a bit noisy sometimes but we have a strict no party policy and will remove people that don't respect others. Glad you enjoyed your stay and thanks for mentioning the staff.

Reviewed 21 January 2013

I have used this hotel 3 times now in the recent months ( 1 time before an airport departure and also the return night and 1 time for a stay to visit a concert at Smart Stadium) and have been very pleased each time.

Rooms are clean and very good for the price. Th airport pick up and drop off is great. The Location for a trip to Smart Stadium is perfect, much better than getting a hotel in the CBD. I will always try here first for a room.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David B
Reviewed 5 January 2013

Great location and priced very well.
Not glitzy or modern but it was clean and the staff were great. Walked in off the street for a single room late at night and still received a very good rate and free offstreet parking. Would more than happily stay again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank NZ_Taz

Thanks for your review. Glad you enjoyed your stay and that you could take advantage of the free parking. Thanks for mentioning the staff.

Reviewed 30 December 2012

at the kiwi hotel top of hill on queens st. had an amazing stay with great staff. highly recommend Gary from England.Will come again sweet. everyone i came in contact with at the hotel was a great help and made my stay an extremely wonderful time. from the room cleaners to the staff at the counter they all worked together to make it a wonderful time for me.

Room Tip: anywhere on second floor, amazing
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo

Many thanks for the positive review and especially to the staff who always appreciate a mention. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 23 December 2012

I had thoroughly reviewed this hotel before I booked it so I was aware of what to expect. The pictures presented on the hotel website were an accurate representation of what I saw during my stay. The airport bus drops off out the hotel as mentioned on the hotel website. I stayed in a single ensuite room. I was at the end of a coridoor which I suspect minimised noise. The room itself was clean and well serviced. There was a problem with the wifi during part of my stay; staff were very accommodating in providing coupons to use their computers until the wifi was fixed. There was noise in the hotel; people slamming their room doors, knocking on each other's doors and talking in the parking area were the main noises. I expected such events since a hotel for this price doesn't always attract people who respect that others are staying in rooms nearby. I have stayed in plenty of hostels in my youth, and this is a big step up from a hostel, but obviously it's not the Hilton. For the money I paid, I was very impressed and would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank geocacherkb
kiwi_mark411, Owner at Kiwi International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2012

Thanks for your positive review. We agree it can be annoying when other guests are inconsiderate and roudy. We are toughening up on this and asking people to leave if they persist. Pleased that you enjoyed your stay and considered it excellent value. We look forward to hosting you again.