“Small rooms but private, pretty quiet, and convenient location”

Kiwi International Hotel
Ranked #32 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 28 February 2013

For the price, I don't think you'll find much better in Auckland. The room was quite small, but it was sufficient for our 3 night stay in Auckland. The bathroom was also small, the door to the shower was so tight I had to scrape my body to get in, but it was again, acceptable. Overall, we enjoyed our 3 nights at the Kiwi International Hotel.

Room Tip: Be aware that rooms on the 3rd floor require two lifts to reach them. The regular lift only goes bet...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank lurking
kiwi_mark411, Owner at Kiwi International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2013

Thank you for your positive review. Your first comment "For the price, I don't think you'll find much better in Auckland" sums us up - not top end but value for money. We agree wit your tip re the 3rd floor rooms - an extra effort to get there but there are only 11 rooms up there so it's quiet and you get the best views.

Reviewed 25 February 2013

This was my second stay here. Both economy rooms for the budget traveller. No frills rooms are clean and the shared bathrooms also a high standard of cleanliness. What I love about this hotel is the little bar which has amazing wine and beer specials and a cafe with delicious food at a very cheap price. The free parking is another drawcard this central in Auckland and the free hour of internet kept my 8 year old busy while I had an after dinner drink.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank treajules
kiwi_mark411, Owner at Kiwi International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Thank you for your positive review. Good to see you could take advantage of the free interenet that we provide to all guests that book directly with us. We look forward to your return (3rd!) visit.

Reviewed 24 February 2013

We stayed here one Monday night in early February. We were allowed to check in right at 2, and there seemed to be many rooms being cleaned like it was really busy over the weekend, but we didn't notice many other guests the night we were there. There was no A/C so we opened a window, which was a bit noisy during the day. The front desk gave us a small fan when we asked which helped to circulate the air and drown out the noise. The room was a basic ensuite double, but had a bed, a table with instant coffee and tea for the morning, and a bathroom with great hot water pressure. The bed was a bit hard by American standards, but I found that to be the norm in the whole country. Overall, we had a pleasant stay that met what I was expecting. The free breakfast in the morning was great as well!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. February is a busy month with lots of visitors to Auckland. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return.

Reviewed 16 February 2013

I just needed a place to stay in Auckland after my tour ended. Decided against a hostel because I wanted some peace and quiet after three weeks of being surrounded by people. Booked just the basic single/twin room and it was like sleeping in a shoebox. It is extremely basic. Bed, sink, window and a table.

Communal bathrooms I found were always clean and there are plently available so no waiting around for a shower thankfully.

It is towards the end of Queen St, or at least it is a little far from the main area- so be careful if you are walking back alone at night. Otherwise the location is fine. Plenty to do in Auckland.

I did however have two issues, both with staff members. Yes they were helpful with booking the airport shuttle, however I don't appreciate being argued with and corrected over what my own mobile # is, I'm an Australian citizen with an Australian mobile # so I think I know how the intl dialing code works and so this resulted in the shuttle company receiving an invalid # because she didn't listen to me. And on the day of my departure, I left quite early in the morning (it was still pitch black) and was simply told by the receptionist to 'wait out on the road' not in front of the hotel for the shuttle bus to pick me up. Excuse me, but I'm a YOUNG FEMALE SOLO traveller- i chose the shuttle bus so I wouldn't have to wait on the main road by myself in the early morning for the public airport bus. I am liable for my own safety I understand that, but seriously stupid advice to be giving someone.

But yeah, if you are staying more than say two nights, I'd look into booking a room with a bit more to it.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank nicole e
kiwi_mark411, Owner at Kiwi International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2013

Thank you for your generally positive review. This reviewer booked one of our Economy rooms and yes they are basic - but at NZ$55 with in-room vanity basin, king single bed, tea & coffee making, desk etc. they are by far the best value private room for an independent traveller to be found in Auckland - or in fact in any major western city. And as the reviewer suggests if you want something more comprehensive most of our rooms are ensuite bathroom, flatscreen TV, tea & coffee making etc etc. Also at very good rates which accounts for our No. 1 TripAdvisor rating in their "Best Value - Central Auckland Hotels" category.

Reviewed 26 January 2013

If you don't want to sleep in noisy, packed backpacker dorms, this is a cheap and yet clean alternative. It's conveniently located on Upper Queenstreet (K'Road and eateries are just round the corner) and if you're travelling as a couple you get a double room with a private bathroom for not much more than you would pay in a backpacker. The rooms are small and simple, but clean and serviced every day. Depending where your room is, it might be a little noisy in the morning from the street. We thought it was definitely worth it and so we returned after our first stay!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Eveline S
kiwi_mark411, Owner at Kiwi International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2013

Thank you for your review. We're pleased you appreciated our value. We look forward to seeing you again sometime.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

This place is great for what it is - a room with a bed and a bathroom. There's no fridge or microwave or cooking facility (not in the room we stayed in anyway) but the rooms were clean and well serviced so it was fine. The hotel is beside a variety of korean and japanese restaurants and only a short walk away from the centre of town so it's well located. We'd become accustomed to free daily wifi packages traveling around the North Island so it was a bit annoying having to pay $4NZD for 50MB but maybe that's on par with the rest of places to stay in Auckland. It might be a good idea to bring some earplugs for when you sleep - we were there over the weekend and there were a drunken people yelling on the street throughout the night (downside of location, perhaps).

Generally our stay here was pleasant - there's a travel desk in the foyer which is a nice touch. Everyone was very helpful (including the housekeeping staff).

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jesc0319
kiwi_mark411, Owner at Kiwi International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2013

Thank you for your encouraging review. Most places do charge for wi-fi but ours is free if you book direct with us. Generally we are a quiet hotel, especially so given our great central location. Weekends can be a bit noisy sometimes but we have a strict no party policy and will remove people that don't respect others. Glad you enjoyed your stay and thanks for mentioning the staff.

Reviewed 21 January 2013

I have used this hotel 3 times now in the recent months ( 1 time before an airport departure and also the return night and 1 time for a stay to visit a concert at Smart Stadium) and have been very pleased each time.

Rooms are clean and very good for the price. Th airport pick up and drop off is great. The Location for a trip to Smart Stadium is perfect, much better than getting a hotel in the CBD. I will always try here first for a room.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple