Kiwi International Hotel
SKYCITY Grand Hotel(Auckland Central)
US$214
US$166
  • Pool
Grand Millennium Auckland(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
US$137
SKYCITY Hotel(Auckland Central)
US$155
US$136
  • Restaurant
Cordis, Auckland by Langham Hospitality Group(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
US$157
US$124
  • Restaurant
Waldorf Stadium Apartments Hotel(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
US$127
Hotel DeBrett(Auckland Central)
US$232
US$210
  • Breakfast included
Rydges Auckland(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
US$234
US$135
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Auckland(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
US$131
  • Room Service
US$221
US$212
  • Restaurant
All reviewssingle roomk roadtravel deskupper queen streetbasic hotelairport busplace to sleeprooms are smallwithin walking distancesky towertea and coffeeshort stayfirst stoppleasant staynew zealandconvenient locationcity centre
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I recently spent a week at the Kiwi International Hotel and was pleased with it overall.
Location: The hotel sits off a hill on Queen Street. And when I say hill, think the steepness of Seattle or San Fransisco streets (if you are familiar with those places) It was a trek to get back, but I do think my legs and flutes are more in shape from it :) It's about a 20 minute walk to the ferries and everything in between, yet far enough away that I didn't hear a whole lot of foot traffic or regular traffic.

Room: I was in a single, twin bed room; which was perfect for myself. The room is a bit snug, but then again I am sure the other rooms with bigger beds include a larger room. There was a small tv that got a few channels, but I didn't watch a whole lot of TV. There is a desk area with a hot water maker for tea or coffee. The bathroom was nice, the sink was a little smzll ; but if I needed to fill my water bottle, I just went downstairs into the cafe area on my way out. Also I noticed the hot water from the shower seemed to be quick in the am, but took a few extra minutes if I showered in the evening.

The WiFi: I was a bit apprehensive about this before I arrived based on the reviews, but I had absolutely no problem with the WiFi. There is the main WiFi that works in the lobby area, but while in your room there are sublets of the WiFi (1,2,3,4...) that you can connect to,no problem.

I enjoyed my stay and the staff were friendly and helpful with locations and places to go. I would come back if I am staying in Auckland again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Liz J
kiwi_mark411, Owner at Kiwi International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Many thanks for your great review. Hopefully we can host you again sometime should you return to Auckland.

Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

The internet at this hotel was a joke . Reception took it upon themselves to blame me for my internet connection failing .. Like seriously !!! Not impressed .. In fact hotel very unprofessional & unfriendly .. The location was great however .. but will not be returning ..

Georgia

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
kiwi_mark411, Owner at Kiwi International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

It appears this reviewer's stay wasn't as good as they may have liked however as their main complaint was about something we give away for free (wi-fi internet) it's then clearly we're on the right track. As at today more than 91% of our TripAdvisor reviews are in the average, very good & excellent categories.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Excellent location especially at the reasonable price. Quite basic - small rooms, a little run down, very thin walls!! But comfortable. And good, friendly staff. And free parking which seems pretty rare in the city centre in Auckland. 100MB of free wifi - again, not that common in NZ. I wouldn't want to stay for too long but for a couple of nights in the city, it was decent.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your positive review and we're pleased it suited your visit. We have recently increased the free internet for guests to 200Mb per day.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Our stay was a brief (1-night) transition between an overnight flight from the states and an early morning departure for Queenstown. For this type of stay, it was just right. Great location and very reasonable price, clean if very simple rooms. Convenient for transit – just across from the airport bus stop and for us, the first stop into town and last stop out of town for early morning flights. Short, safe walk down the hill to the Central Business District, including a straight shot to the ferry building. If you’re looking for glamour or comfort, this hotel isn’t for you. Bed was perfectly fine, shower was warm and clean, towels were adequate and room was fine, if a little small. Small closet, small desk, and not great bed-reading lights, but again, this hotel isn’t designed for lounging. A good place to drop your bags (which they’ll store for you in a locked room off the lobby if you arrive early / leave late), freshen up, and go enjoy Auckland.

Bonus: Just outside of the hotel is Meyers Park– a green spot good for short breather and a pie.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AliBChicago
kiwi_mark411, Owner at Kiwi International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

A great review - many thanks - which sums up our hotel perfectly. What more could be added except perhaps the free parking if you have a car. And yes we agree that the rooms are small but reflected in the value price for the ideal location.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights. I was caught off guard when I first check in and noticed that the room does not have aircon but luckily the weather was cold. I also borrowed a fan from the housekeeping as it was a a little stuffy in the noon. There was no free wifi in the room (wrongly advertised in the website). The elevator is ancient but still works well on the 2 storey building. On the overall, it is a good stay for a cheap price as the room is very clean and the toilet looks like it has just been refurbished. Lots of food around this place especially korean food.

Room Tip: Do take note that only ensuite rooms comes with bathroom. Economy room shares a common bathroom. Take a room away from the rubbish dump area as the rubbish truck comes around 7am and make a hell lot of noise.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
kiwi_mark411, Manager at Kiwi International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Thanks for the generally positive review. It's unfortunate that your device didn't receive the free wi-fi we give every guest. It can be problematic at times when overloaded but generally even my 'dinosaur' Blackberry receives from everywhere in the hotel. We are not air-conditioned. Most prefer it that way provided there are opening windows (which there are) and there are fans available on request should one be required.